Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Americana Heroes and Legends (Panini 2012)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Americana Heroes and Legends (Panini 2012)
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Nobody else has seen these? I did not get a box, but over the last week have bought about 10 packs (my dealer is selling them for $7)

Each pack has 10 cards, there are 3 hits - autos or relics - per box.

Base set is 125 cards. Card images are all b&w. Subjects are kind of mixed. First 44 cards are presidents of United States. Remainder of set is a hodge-podge of Astronauts, Women's Soccer Team, Olympic Athletes, First Ladies, and Tuskegee Airmen.

Foil inserts include Women's Soccer, Winter Olympics, Astronauts, and Medal of Honor.
I have a Silver Proof card, numbered 1/50, and a colorized version of a base card, numbered 120/299.

I have 2 autos so far, Abby Wambach, Women's Soccer signed relic, numbered 25/49, and Roscoe Draper auto, Tuskegee Airman numbered 50/99

This is a strange set, we don't need more presidents, and it is heavy with Women's Soccer players, great atheletes, but not what I ould call Heroes or Legends. Like the astronauts and Tuskegee airmen. Think the foil inserts are too hard to find,it hurts to pay $7 for a pack and get all base cards,should be at least an insert in there. Also, some of my cards were damaged.

Still,worth a look.

Posts: 2914 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I had hoped to stock a few boxes of this for Chicago.

But, yet another company that does not want to sell to non-store dealers. I was denied my order since I don't have a storefront.

The final checklist does make me think maybe Panini did me a favor...

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I picked up six retail blaster boxes at Target and WalMart.
Each box has 8 packs with one memorabilia or auto card
per box. I managed to get a complete base set out of the
six boxes and also got 20+ of the common inserts like Astronauts,
Military Elite, Winter/Summer Olympic Games, US Women's Soccer
Team and US Women's Soccer Teammates. I got these memorabilia cards:

Dick Gordon #82 Elite Materials 356/399
Jack Lousma #100 Elite Materials 001/449
Vance Brand #123 Elite Materials 172/399
Jack Lousma #13 Astronaut Materials card 004/499
Theobald G. Wilson #119 Elite Materials 292/499
Roscoe Draper #107 Elite Materials Bronze Proof 90/99

Posts: 1358 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I got four boxes of these over the last few months and got a George HW Bush autograph in the first pair and just yesterday, the redemption for the Dwight Eisenhower cut signature and relic combo card. The relic is a star from his Army uniform, and only four were made.

Looking forward to getting the actual card. I have pictures of all of them from the Panini blog, and they're all really nice.

Anyway two President autographs in just four boxes, makes me feel pretty lucky. I might get a couple more, but I don't want to feel disappointed if I don't get a President autograph, haha.

Posts: 3329 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hoffmaster007
posted Hide Post
Hello chesspieceface! Great pulls, but do you think they'll still redeem them? Good Luck! Smile

Posts: 161 | Location: Harrisburg Pa U.S.A. | Registered: August 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm told Panini is really good with redemptions, no matter the date on them, but that it can take a while. They did accept the code online for the Eisenhower, for what that's worth.

The Bush card was the actual card itself, not a redemption, and it was serial numbered #41, a good one, as he was the 41st President. (It's kind of like getting a sports card with a serial number that matches the player's jersey, those are a little better).

The only four redemptions in the entire set were for the Four Eisenhowers, and from what I've found online, this might be the first one of them to have surfaced, or at least mentioned publicly.

I think I'm supposed to get the Eisenhower serial numbered #1/4 based on the redemption info, and here's a picture of that one from the Panini blog. It is one handsome card.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3329 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
WOW Eek !! I reckon that is the best pull I have seen on these boards and that is saying something. There has been an awful lot of speculation on whether these were ever inserted in the packs so I guess this answers that question.

The George HW Bush pull would be a very good case pull in itself so you did incredibly well from four boxes.

Did you get them from Dave and Adam?

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I missed this, so I apologize for the late reply.
I went back and found that I'd only bought 3 boxes, one by itself (with the Bush) for about $40-45 and the other two (with the Ike) for the current price of $34 (although I had a 10% coupon on top of that!) so it was really 2 Presidents in just 3 boxes, something I probably wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

I really do feel fortunate for having this having happened, particularly since, at the lower prices I got them at, I was happy with JUST the other cards that were in those boxes. I got some of the famed Tuskegee Airman and several Olympic Gold Medal winner autos as the other hits. The base and regular chase sets are also very well done.

And finally, yes, these were all from Dave and Adam and they do deserve a shout-out, not just for this recent good fortune they've bestowed upon me, but as I'm always pleased with what they send no matter what's in there, since as I'm opening it, I've always felt like I've got the same shot (of getting something good or not so good) as anyone else.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Those pulls are beyond fantastic CPF. Congratulations doesn't cover it.

The thing about the Dwight card that really floors me is the authentic star. He was a four star general from the photo, so are these supposed to be the stars off HIS own uniform and that's why it's 1/4? Or are they authentic stars from other uniforms?

Somehow I think it would be easier to find his cut signature than it would be to cut up one of his military jackets.

Posts: 10415 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Chesspieceface, congrats on the Eisenhower pull, that is probably the best hit I've ever seen from an Americana set.

Posts: 2914 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys, but I'll feel a lot better about it once I have the actual card!
It's been in the pipeline for almost two weeks now, so hopefully I can post the actual one I get sometime soon. Panini also nicely posted the original letter from Ike's wife that accompanied the stars when they were donated to a charity auction back in 1974, so they really did dot the "i's" and cross the "t's" on this one.
This seems to be the first one of these to have surfaced despite the set having been out for well over 2 years. It'll be interesting to see if more are found now, esp. with the lower prices the unopened material now can be had for. I have to say, I likely wouldn't have been able to get any of what I got from this if the prices were still even close to original retail. Even so, it must have sold well enough, as they've made some version of this line for some time now, and at least 5 years in a row that I know of, with the 2015 edition releasing as we speak.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The thing about the Dwight card that really floors me is the authentic star. He was a four star general from the photo, so are these supposed to be the stars off HIS own uniform and that's why it's 1/4? Or are they authentic stars from other uniforms?

Somehow I think it would be easier to find his cut signature than it would be to cut up one of his military jackets.

Apparently, his wife, Mamie, was asked for an autograph of his for a charity event in 1974, and her secretary wrote back saying something like: Sorry, but there were no autographs to be had since Ike had died 6 years before, however here's a strip of stars from one of his uniforms. Panini got the letter along with the strip and they posted it on their blog.

So on this, I don't think an actual
full jacket was destroyed, but rather a single strip of stars from the jacket was cut into four parts. The signatures appear to be from letters, esp. the ones with salutations just above the name. (Panini also posted pictures of all four finished cards along with a mockup, which was pretty cool.)

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the actual card. We entered the redemption on May 1st and got it on May 28th, so, so 4 weeks on the dot. Thanks for this, PaniniAmerica!

This one is numbered 2 of 4, so if these are issued in order of redemption (I have no idea), that could mean there are still two left to be had.

Here's the reverse side and a flatbed scan of the front, although it doesn't lay perfectly flat due to the star, which is thick, so that's cloudy.

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
That's a keeper CPF! Beautiful! I noticed the star looks like it moved comparing the 2 pictures, is it loose in the frame?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Don!

I'm thinking Panini may have moved it a bit. It's in there very well, I believe sewed in, but it is slightly movable. Even so, I don't think I could get it back to the way it was in their picture. It is a little better centered now, so maybe that why they moved it, if they did.

They sent it in a super-thick one-touch magnetic holder, and I just took it out the once to scan the back since I hadn't been able to find an image of that online.

I don't think I'll ever be taking it out of the case again. I was nervous the whole time when scanning it. I could just see dropping it and dinging a corner...
Eek

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That is a really special piece of memorabilia. I honestly don't think you can put a price on it. Congrats CPF. Thumb Up

Posts: 10415 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Raven, but someone will be putting a price on it, and we'll know what that is, and likely sooner than later. This is simply too nice for someone like me to own, haha.