Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    American Pie (Topps, 2011)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Pie (Topps, 2011)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted
I bought a box today and pulled:

- American Pie Relics Henry Winkler Shirt
- James Cagney HOLLYWOOD Letter Patch "O" 14/25
- American Pie Autographs Sean Astin Signature

The box advertises 3 Autos or Memorabilia per box. How does that manufactured letter patch count as memorabilia?

I also pulled a buyback card from a set I couldn't identify(Maya?) with a "Topps American Pie" stamp in silver foil in the upper corner.

The base set cards have some neat references but are kind of ugly and the card stock is super thin.

After collating the base cards I got 158 of the 200 cards in the set with no dupes.

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Picked up some retail packs...
6 cards per pack

1 auto APA10 John O'Hurley 1:99
1 relic APR24 Susan Lucci 1:20

2 foil parallels #65,#198 1:4
1 xfoil #111 49/76

HHistory HH14,17
HollywoodWOF HWF9,16,21,24,28,44,45
Fads/Fashions FF4,6

Overall B
Pros: base design, chase odds
Cons: $3 a pack

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Picked up some retail boxes this weekend, although the inserts are fun, it was the base set that really stood out, whomever put this together did an outstanding job, everything from the first credit card, the Ramones, Baby Jessica, to Hurricane Irene, it's all just about covered!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Jamie Foxx autograph is awesome!

Posts: 131 | Location: USA | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Jamie Foxx auto is great - but why does he spell his name "Lisa Fell"?

No matter, I've been picking up loose packs for days, got a Gilbert Gottfried relic, Maksim Chmerkovsky signed relic (looks like H. Coz), and my favorite, a Rat Patrol Buyback card.

Today I bought a Blaster Box, got:
2 Fads and Fashions
1 Hirsute History
3 Walk of Fame
2 Foil parrallels
1 Jimmie Walker Relic (Dyno-Mite!)

These cards are really growing on me, at first I hated the design, but actually they aren't bad. The subject is very interesting and some are pretty funny - for example card #43 - 4/11/54, The Most Boring Day of the 20th Century.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Picked up more retail packs...

3 relic cards:
Mickey Rooney
Gilbert Godfrey
Lewis & Clark Trail (rare) Thumb Up

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I picked up 4 packs at my local comic book store.
Buyback: 007 Moonraker card!
relic: Don McClain the singer/writer of the song American Pie.
One of those Hollywood walk of fame Whatever you want to call it Relic of Jimmy Hendricks 10/50.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are a lot of fun, I picked up some blasters, found relics, a coin card (Duke Wellington $.50), a Lucille Ball stamp and some of the 'regular' chase. . . No autos. . .

I am trying to avoid buying more -- so much fun to open, but I'm mainly looking for autos so it'll be much more economical for me to go directly after those. . .

Seems like the packs would be to cherry pick, and most around me already seem to have been gone through so I've only been picking up blasters.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Found a gravity feed (no blaster boxes) at my local Wal-mart and grabbed two packs.
I got a Mickey Rooney relic card and a Vincent Pastore relic. So, in 6 packs total 4 from a Hobby box 2 from retail packs I have 4 relics and a buyback card. I better stop while luck is on my side!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Nice Barrett!!! Smile Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I grabbed 3 blasters at Target today and here's the highlights:

4 - Hirsute History
8 - Hollywood Walk of Fame
6 - Fads & Fashions
4 - Regular Foil Parallel Base cards
2 - Spotlight Foil Parallel Base cards
Maya (Mysteries of India) Buyback card
Happy Days Buyback Card
Relic cards of Justin Willman, Maksim Chmerkovskiy, Carmen Electra

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Showing my total ignorance, what is a buy back card?

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Showing my total ignorance, what is a buy back card?

It's a card from a "classic" Topps set which has been foil stamped with the American Pie logo.

In theory, they buy these cards back from dealers and collectors. In practice I'd guess it's more likely they pull them out of an archive somewhere. I've never seen one of poor condition.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
It's a card from a "classic" Topps set which has been foil stamped with the American Pie logo.Ed

I have seen other buy backs, but its usually done with autograph cards or a rookie in sportscards. The majority of buy backs in American Pie just seem to be of base cards from older Topps non-sport sets. A few do have autographs that I guess were obtained for this release.

As an insert, I don't see the point of getting a stamped common base card from anything if it has no autograph. Well maybe the original Mars Attacks, but I don't think they included any of those. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
In Star Wars 30th Anniversary, the buyback box toppers were extremely popular. Although, I don't expect Dick Tracy buybacks to have the same appeal. I thought of grabbing a couple, but shipping made it too expensive to make it worth it to me.

I love this release, except for the "hits," which I think are weak. Still, from my blaster, the base set and the Walk of Fame inserts evoked enough nostalgia to make me want to get more and build the set. Two Jim Henson cards helped too. Although the relic card was meant to be the money card, I wasn't concerned about it.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Could not help myself and see if my luckly streak with this product would continue.
4 more packs
Got a Hollywood Sign Groucho Marx 04/25 Letter "O".

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
4 more blasters today...

6 - Hirsute History
10 - Hollywood Walk of Fame
8 - Fads & Fashions
6 - Regular Foil Parallel Base cards
2 - Spotlight Foil Parallel Base cards
The Black Hole Buyback card
Ghostbusters II Buyback Card
Hollywood Sign Letter Patch HSLP-22 Mickey Rooney Letter "H" #4/25
Relic cards of Jimmie Walker and Wilmer Valderrama
Auto Card of Wilmer Valderrama

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Just got started on my hobby box...

John Wayne Hollywood Walk of Fame Patch Card

Clap One Happy Pilgrim!!!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find any retail boxes or packs in my area, so I picked up a hobby box. This is one of the more enjoyable boxes I've ever opened, even if I didn't pull any of the Jimi Hendrix cards I wanted. Smile

Louis Armstrong Coin Collection Card half dollar 25/25
George Burns Hollywood Walk of Fame Patch Card 13/50
Vincent Pastore Relic Card
New Coke Spotlight Refractor Card 37/76
Jaws 3-D The New Peril Buyback Card

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kbmum,

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Well, one thing's for sure: your Louie Armstrong card will never be worth less than 50 cents. Razz

But seriously, nice cards! I will definitely get a box of these at some point. I liked the original Topps American Pie sets from 2001 and 2002, I think it was. The non-sports subjects chosen for those sets were an excellent variety and the cards looked great. There were some baseball cards in those sets (especially the first one), but I didn't mind so much because I also like old time baseball, which pretty much all of them were.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post