Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    American Pie (Topps, 2011)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Pie (Topps, 2011)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
4 more blasters today...More than likely the last for me,
I've run out of Target stores! Smile

6 - Hirsute History
10 - Hollywood Walk of Fame
8 - Fads & Fashions
7 - Regular Foil Parallel Base cards
2 - Spotlight Foil Parallel Base cards
Rocky IV Buyback Card
Relic cards of Joe Gannascoli, Larry Thomas, and Buddy Valastro
(my daughter is a huge Cake Boss fan and has claimed the Buddy card as her own)
Auto Card of Carmen Electra

I really like this set and am going to try to complete it. Trade lists coming soon!

Greg

Posts: 1358 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
These are the hits from my 5 blasters (so far)

Only 1 buyback and 1 spotlight card though.

I also got a pair of letter patches (Alfred Hitchcock and Cecil B DeMille) that I was too lazy to scan.

I may have to pick up a hobby box or so at the card show this weekend.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Buyback card #99 Star Wars series 2
American Pie Pieces APCR-LCT Lewis & Clark
AP Postage Stamp - Elizabeth Taylor 53/76
AP Patch - John Wayne 44/50
Hollywood Patch - G Marx 6/25

Posts: 4230 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
A sports card friend gave me all the contents of a box minus a Henry Winkler Autograph card for FREE!
I am now only missing 31 cards from the 200 card base set. In the box was a Superman II #65 buyback card Costume cards of Carrot Top and Wilmer Valderrama.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted Hide Post
Oh wow! Star Wars buybacks. I wonder how many they included?

And to anyone who has completed the set: Is there a card commemorating Star Wars? Seems pop culturally significant. But maybe that's just in my world. :-)

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Card Dude
posted Hide Post
I have just received 2 boxes of these, they sure are a lot of fun. I am a bit disappointed with my pulls as I know that I have a lot of base set duplicates over the two boxes and quite a lot of chase dupes too.

Box 1:
6 x Fads and Fashions
4 x Hirsute History
8 x Walk of Fame
6 x Foil Parallels
1 x Dick Tracy buyback (!)
1 x Spotlight Parallel (Card 39 31/76)

Larry Thomas autograph card, Jimmie Walker costume, Carrot Top Costume

Box 2:
6 x Fads and Fashions
4 x Hirsute History
8 x Walk of Fame
6 x Foil Parallels
1 x A-Team buyback card

James Cagney Star Patch (28/50), Vincent Pastore costume and Piece of the Grassy Knoll! (My favourite card)

Posts: 1117 | Location: UK | Registered: December 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
This product looks amazing - a bit above my normal price range but looks worth it.

What's difference between retail and hobby boxes for this set?

Need to make an informed decision on a pending purchase Bouncey

Thanks all. Thumb Up

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
There are about the same. Box blasters generally get at least one hit (8 packs per box), which is consistant with a hobby box having 3 hits in a 24 count box. I believe the 24 count boxes at retail have the same hit ratio as the hobby boxes, but these are easily searched if the box is open.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
The two Walmarts in my area don't carry this set, but I found loose packs and retail boxes at Target.

Retail box:
Fred Astaire Postage Stamp Collection Card 44/76
Beatles Buyback Card with George Harrison facsimile auto
1 foil

Loose packs:
Elizabeth Taylor Hollywood Sign Letter Patch 09/25
1 foil

The Beatles card nearly gave me a heart attack. I hadn't heard that any of the buyback autos were facsimiles and wondered when George Harrison could have signed the card, considering he died in 2001. I learned from a quick check at a sport card forum that the only facsimile autos in the set are from the four Beatles. Also, you can tell that a buyback auto is legit by the hologram on the back of the card.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Was at Wal-mart and went back to the gravity feed box where I was pulling packs. 3 packs left.
I got a Lewis and Clark Trail card (full of dirt!)
25 cards from a base set now!

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
I bought one retail box via Amazon (same price as at Target, but no tax and the shipping was free). I pulled yet another Vincent Pastore relic. I've now have three of that card. Grrrr...

I'm about 36 cards away from a base set, with lots of spares. I have to get my trade list in order.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I found a hobby box at a decent price so I broke down and bought it. I want to complete the base set and probably the Hollywood Walk of Fame set too so I'll post my trade list when I get a chance.

Results:
Base set: missing 45 cards, 1 dupe
Foil parallel cards: 36, 44, 56, 193, 199
Prismatic parallel card: 84
Fads & Fashions: 2, 12, 19, 23, 24, 25
Hirsute History: 2, 7, 16, 19
Hollywood Walk of Fame: 3, 10, 20, 26, 31, 34, 40, 43

and these...

I'm probably going to keep the Gary Cooper card but the other 2 are available

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
One thing about the foil cards - some of them are hard to spot if they have a dark background.
When sorting through my extras, I found one foil card, almost unnoticeable without being held next to it's regular counterpart. So I went back through my extras and found one more foil, and then looked at the first base set I had put together and found 2 more.

Posts: 2913 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I got a couple of boxes to try my luck.

Only familiar with Carmen Electra.

Buyback cards
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves sticker 7
Return of the Jedi (1983) card 160.

Hollywood Walk of Fame
2 Bing Crosby
7 Dean Martin
12 Gary Cooper
16 Humphrey Bogart
19 John Belushi
23 Louis Armstrong
24 Lucille Ball
25 Marilyn Monroe
32 Groucho Marx
33 Orson Welles
36 Buster Keaton
37 Cecil B DeMille
41 Errol Flynn
44 Harry Houdini
45 James Cagney
47 Leslie Nielsen

plus
8 Hirsute History cards
11 Fads and Fashion cards
14 foil cards

Posts: 3252 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Picked up a retail blaster got this interesting Buy Back card, Three's Company sticker...

Enjoy!!!

Posts: 4230 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Picked up two hobby (x 24 packs) boxes of this. Hope it's a good as I'm anticipating. Box breaks to follow...

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Here's the hits from my 2 boxes:

[PHOTO(S) BEING POSTED SOON: CAMERA CHARGING]

Got a complete base set across the two boxes.

None of the chase sub sets/major hits were repeated across the 2 boxes which is great!

I got 111 'dupes' across the 2 boxes but they were all different so I'm only 89 away from a 2nd/spare base set Clap

Major hits were very much 50/50 I love the Bob Hope, Mickey Rooney & Don McLean cards.

I love the whole set to be honest. This is the first time in quite a while where I've been excited to read the base cards.

Wish I could justify picking up a case Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TC00,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I finally picked up a hobby box of this and was very pleased. The base set is teriffic and a nice expansion on the pair of American Pie sets from around 10 years ago (which also included a healthy amount of baseball cads). These are non-sports only subjects for the first time.

I got two relics (Pastore from The Sopranos and comedian Carrot Top) plus an autograph card of the "Cake Boss" Buddy Valastro, and finally a redemption card for an autographed relic card of pop singer Enrique Iglesias.

Good stuff, but unfortunately, you can't make a base set from one box, so it looks like I'll be picking up another!

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robomole
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know if any of the redemptions have been honored for this set yet? I've been waiting for mine forever. I would ask for a substitution, but there isn't anybody I really want to substitute for, and I can't just say hey give me a Jamie Foxx and call it even haha.

Posts: 209 | Location: El Cajon, California | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the Jimi Hendrix or Bret Michaels redemptions come through yet. I just don't understand how a trading card company can include cards like this when they don't know when they're going to receive the autos and memorabilia to make the cards. It feels like false advertising.