Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    DC Cosmic Teams (Impel, 1993)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DC Cosmic Teams (Impel, 1993)
 Login/Join

Picture of James7
posted
Recently I opened 4 boxes of DC Cosmic Teams, a great and affordable set that everyone should look into. Currently boxes can easily be found in the $15-$20 range on Ebay, this is much less than the sets Impel did for Marvel during the same time.

Of the six hologram chase cards in the set, I pulled:

3x Captain Marvel
3x Hawkman
3x Lobo
2x The Spectre
1x Superman
3x Swamp Thing

So altogether that's 15 holograms in 4 36 pack boxes, a ratio of 1 hologram per every 9.6 packs.

While it is certainly true that these early holograms are not as impressive as the later skydisc style holos and the like, they are still done very well. Each hologram has 3 detailed layers and motion that suits the character.

If we are to take this sample as an indication, Superman seems to be the rarest of the chase set. Though that could just be coincidence.

In regards to the the base set, the cards themselves are high quality with just the right amount of gloss. I have noticed that on some of the sets from the mid to late nineties with higher gloss, that over time it can cause the cards to stick together inside the sealed packs. This is not a problem with DC Cosmic Teams. The cards also maintain their rigidity and have not even slightly curved, and they smell nice.

The artwork is standard comic art. On the backs a brief character bio is given along with the characters real name and the issue in which they first appeared. There's also a flashback picture showing the character from a vintage comic.

This concludes my box break review of perhaps one of my favorite vintage sets so far.

Posts: 34 | Location: USA | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
hi James

Good to see someone breaking this older DC stuff - there's some great sets. Let me know if you need any base cards to make up the set as collation was a bit rough on some of these.

Also, Superman holo being rare is just a coincidence.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of James7
posted Hide Post
Thanks man. I was just going through them all and I don't think I need any though.

I'll probably be doing some more box breaks soon of the earlier DC Cosmic Cards line, since I just bought an entire case of 20 boxes.

Posts: 34 | Location: USA | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
If you need to find a home for a box of these cards, please let me know. Metal

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by James7:
Thanks man. I was just going through them all and I don't think I need any though.

I'll probably be doing some more box breaks soon of the earlier DC Cosmic Cards line, since I just bought an entire case of 20 boxes.[/QUOT

Just something I remember from almost 20 years ago. On the Cosmic cards either the top 4 packs or the bottom four packs has the four holographs in each box. There was a jerkwad dealer around here that had figured this out and told someone who told someone and off everyone went finding every unopened box in grocery stores, gas stations, variety store to get those 4 packs with the holographs. It worked every time.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of James7
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you need to find a home for a box of these cards, please let me know. Metal

I plan to open just enough to complete a 10 hologram chase set and then keep the rest, because I think in another decade they will be worth more. These cards keep well in the box. Currently, you can get boxes on eBay for really cheap though, there's one guy selling them now for $10 each, shipping included.

quote:
Just something I remember from almost 20 years ago. On the Cosmic cards either the top 4 packs or the bottom four packs has the four holographs in each box. There was a jerkwad dealer around here that had figured this out and told someone who told someone and off everyone went finding every unopened box in grocery stores, gas stations, variety store to get those 4 packs with the holographs. It worked every time.

Hm, I'll see if the boxes I get are like that and report back. I know when I was opening the Cosmic Teams boxes there always seemed to be 1 hologram at the top.

Two of the boxes of Cosmic Teams I bought had been opened and resealed, I still got 4 holograms in them though.