Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Cereal Killers (Wax Eye 2011)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cereal Killers (Wax Eye 2011)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted
I purchased two (2) three-packs which are made to look like the little variety cereal boxes in the supermarket.
Each box has two different images, one on each side.
Love the way this looks. Terrifically clever and well done.

Each box contained a see through package of approximately (sorry I didn't count) 25 base cards and one special card outside the cello package.

From my six packs of base cards I was one short of a first set and 14 short of a second.

My six chase (bonus whatever) cards were
1 magnet card (Zomb'a Crunch)
1 tattoo transfer card (Zomb'a Crunch)
3 black light cards (Eye Pops,Zomb'a Crunch, Frosted Freeks)
1 Sketch card by Joe Simko (pri-ty cool)

I'll be posting in the trade section to try to finish those two sets.
All in all, I really enjoyed these.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
The collation for this product is TERRIBLE! Haven't seen it this bad since Topp's Universal Monsters back in the early '90s. Fully a third of the cards in the 3-pack were doubles and/or triples. In my opinion, for $30 a pop, these are really overpriced unless the collation problems get fixed.

Out of a single 3-pack:

Only a partial set (21 dups)
x2 black light cards (identical: Frosted Freeks)
no chase/special in 3rd box

Shake Head

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aeolus14ummbra:
The collation for this product is TERRIBLE! Haven't seen it this bad since Topp's Universal Monsters back in the early '90s. Fully a third of the cards in the 3-pack were doubles and/or triples. In my opinion, for $30 a pop, these are really overpriced unless the collation problems get fixed.

Out of a single 3-pack:

Only a partial set (21 dups)
x2 black light cards (identical: Frosted Freeks)
no chase/special in 3rd box

Shake Head

Yikes! It sounds like you got a dud set. I have a 3-Pack that should be here in a day or so. I'll post my breakdown here when it arrives.

Oh, and I saw on the Wax Eye website there is an area where you can post reviews of their products. You might want to check that out.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
Just got my 3-pack today. Here's the break:

Base:
43 of 60 cards -17 for a full base set.

Chase:
x1 Gold embossed card
x2 Blacklight cards (Eye-Pops & Zomba Crunch)

PROS: Nice card design. Very reflective of Wacky Packs with some cards featuring puzzle backs. Clever packaging - The mini-cereal boxes are cute. LOVE the black-light cards. Although, I am wondering why they are not trading card size (2.5x3.5). I know they are stickers, but it's a shame I have to put them in different (4-pocket) sleeves.

CONS: Not getting a complete set is a serious bummer. If your base card count is 60, and you have a 20 count cello-wrapped pack per mini-box (x3), I would think you could manage to get 1 base set into each 3-pack. I understand the need for Wax Eye to get repeat purchases of the product, but I think the chase for a sketch card will ensure that. Also, I noticed that both black-light stickers suffered from dirt and and gunk on the front of them. Not sure if this is from production or mishandling.

And speaking of sketch cards: I think the sketch ratio isn't good. 1:16 sets is going to disappoint many. Those that pick-up 3-4 sets and don't get a single sketch are not going to be very happy.

Overall It's a good first release, but in this economy, I'm looking for more bang for the buck. I think 2 chase cards per mini-box would greatly improve the product.

NOTE: I posted a copy of this review on the Wax Eye website. It's not live yet because it's pending "approval". I'm curious if it actually gets posted. Will Wax Eye post my critique? Or will they only allow 100% positive reviews on their site? We shall see...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mintoncard,

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, it seems the collation problem I encountered wasn't a fluke.

I agree with your comments MOC - this is a great looking set design wise, but the collation problems need to be fixed. When you stop to think about it, this really is a "premium pack" release since whether you're missing 1 card or 20, you still have to purchase another 3-pack at $30 (including shipping) which makes putting a base set together, not to mention a chase set, financially prohibitive to say the least.

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Got my 3-Pack today, and was short 19 cards of a base set. My inserts - 2 Black Light, 1 Temp Tattoo

The execution of the set is top notch, love the boxes, cards are well done, but the collation is a problem. I also agree that 2 insert cards per box would be a good idea.

Looks like since none of us got a full set, we will have to trade. If a trading section for these isn't started, I'll start one.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
One 3 Pack
3 Cello packs of 20 cards each
40 of 55 cards
(Missing 15 for the set)
3 Eyeball Bubble Gum (Hard to chew)
1 Eyeball Gums Neon Sticker (Unnumbered)
1 Zomb'a Crunch Magnet (Unnumbered)
1 Zomb'a Crunch Tattoo (Unnumbered)

See my post 3 below with regards to collation.

Had to trim the side of the sticker to fit in a 9 pocket page.

Also would have liked for the puzzle backs to line up in the page (ie: cards 1-9 being one puzzle...)

I am up for trades!

I started a thread in Set Building!
http://nonsportupdate.infopop....1010201/m/5017004306

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EriktheArchitect,

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
SIDENOTE:

Just got home from work and placed those black-light bonus cards under an actual black-light. Those things POP!! The color selection is spot-on. I know it must have cost a bit extra to do 5 color passes using real neon ink. Very very cool.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
MikeFitz please scan your Sketch card when you get a chance!

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I guess we should have explored the website better. I found this listed under Trading Card Faq's

Trading Card FAQs

The complete 55-card base set is NOT guaranteed in every 3-pack set.

Cereal Killers Trading Cards are meant to be traded and can be done so at the following links:
Wacky Packages Forum – Cereal Killers Trade
Garbage Pail Kids Underground - Cereal Killers Trade

The intention of Cereal Killers card trading is to connect like-minded collectors for fun and sport. Thanks!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
EriktheA

My scanner = junk.

If you look here
CerealKillersSketches

it's in the 4th row from the bottom, third card from the left.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I forgot about that post. Congrats on getting a sketch.

posted Hide Post
Erik, I may be mistaken, but I don't think that disclaimer was in the FAQ section when the cards originally went on sale. I could have sworn I looked through that section prior to ordering the cards - had I seen that, I probably would have passed and tried to pick up a base set via other means.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
I hate to admit it, but I don't recall seeing this disclaimer on their site prior to ordering. (And I went through the site looking for any and all release dates, costs and ordering information, so I think I would have seen that.)

Perhaps Wax Eye got wind of collation complaints and decided to put a positive spin on it with the recommendation of trading sites. (What? No NSU love? We trade here too!)

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I didn't see it either. If I had I probably would not have ordered either. Cest La Vie, Live and Learn.

posted Hide Post
STILL LOOKING
Here is my list... DOWN TO FINIAL THREE
WHAT I STILL NEED:

1-3-48

WHAT I HAVE AVAILABLE:

29, 30, 34, 37, 51, 52

PM me if interested in a trade. Thx!

I didn't see it either. If I had I probably would not have ordered either. Cest La Vie, Live and Learn...

Posts: 22 | Location: AMERICA | Registered: February 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Personally I'm not turned off by the need to do some tradng to complete a base set, though it's not as easy/convenient as having the full set in the box itself - but that's almost too easy anyway.

Paying shipping to Canada, or chase set(s) that are partucularly difficult/expensive to complete may be more of a concern for me.

If you have spares bring 'em and your want list to the Philly show this weekend if you're making the trip.

I'm considering buying some there this weekend but will make up my mind when I get a closer look and perhaps a few more specifics/details on the product.

I'm also wondering how well the cereal boxes/packaging will travel on a plane, so we'll see...but if I do get them, I'll be happy to trade!

otim

Posts: 700 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Here's my video box break:

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ribeyespud
posted Hide Post

They're GGGrroosss!Just pulled this sketch from my master set I received in the mail today from Wax Eye. I was hoping for a cereal Icon from my youth, and Frosted Freeks certainly fits the bill. I think they are out of master sets, so I am glad I ordered when I did. I love the whole set. A lot of the cards made me laugh out loud as I read the backs after appreciating the pictures on the fronts. I even enjoyed the flavor of the gumball!

Posts: 177 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ribeyespud
posted Hide Post
[URL= ] [/URL]

In celebration of the coolest card set ever, and getting ready for series 2, I opened up a box of cereal killers series 1 and found this very rare colored sketch card of Zomba Crunch by series Creator Joe Simko. SWEEETT!!!

also pulled a full set of stickers and two silver spoon foils. Now then....my series 2 arrives July 7th, can't wait! If the humor on the series 2 sticker cards are as great as the 1st series I will be the guy laughing out loud. Love the fact that both front AND back has witty humor!

Posts: 177 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post