Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Iron Man 2 (Upper Deck)

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4026073384/m/370108324

April 24, 2010, 10:05 AM
igman7
Iron Man 2 (Upper Deck)
Well...where to start?

First, the Fantatic Four have nothing to do with the Avengers, so I do not see any problem there.

Second, I belive that it has already been mentioned that they were talking about a new cast for any future FF movies.

Third, While Dr. Doom got his start with the Fantastic Four, he was also a general baddie in the Marvel universe including some well noted battles with Iron Man.

April 25, 2010, 07:57 PM
Gst177
HIghlights from a 16 Box Break .. Sealed case had 2 Mickey Rourke, 1 don cheddle, and a Favreau auto. One complete costume set without Super SP.

Highlight of some of the sketches:

Remi Dousset

Mike Miller

April 25, 2010, 07:59 PM
Gst177
My Favorite of the bunch

Adam Cline

and finish it off with a Bob Layton

April 25, 2010, 09:32 PM
spiral8
I busted 8 boxes the other day.
Pulled 2 autos; Bibb and Rourke

Sketches were;

And the mega hit!

Thanks for the look (and no, the armor piece is NOT for trade/sale Wink )
April 27, 2010, 09:27 PM
spidergoblin
Gst & Spiral.... very nice sketches to both of you Metal

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper
April 28, 2010, 04:14 AM
Triple B
Planned to head to the comic shop today to grab a box of Upper Deck's Iron Man 2...let me say that I was peeved that RA was overlooked for this set as they did an AWESOME job on the first Iron Man movie, even landing Robert Downey, Jr. as a signer. RDJ didn't sign for Upper Deck's product, but I still wanted to give it a go...glad I did Smile

I read a few places that said you're supposed to get three hits per box...two sketches and a mem, two mem and a sketch and maybe an auto in every four boxes. I had FIVE hits in this box and each one better than the next. I'm willing to bet that this one box is better than any case I could have hoped to open.

In "Top 5" style...

NUMBER 5

I don't know my Iron Man characters since I hated Iron Man as a kid (RDJ made him cool in my eyes). If anyone can tell me whose chin this is, well, pin a rose on your nose. I guess it's part of a puzzle sketch, but how on earth are you going to get the other three?

NUMBER 4

Again, another character I'm not sure I know (is this Black Widow?) but I was thinking how cool it would be to pull a painted sketch. This is it! Beautifully done in oil and water and MAN does this chick look gorgeous...move over Daphne from Scooby-Doo! Not certain who the artist is as they did not sign it...

NUMBER 3

Normally this would be "Number 1", because Gweneth Paltrow worn ANYTHING is tops in my books, but she gets topped by these two...
NUMBER 2

I know, I actually hit an auto and not only did I hit one, but I hit THE one. Again, no Downey to pull, but Mickey Rourke is the big name of the four who signed. How can this be #2??? Well, number 1 came in the second pack of the box...
NUMBER 1

Holy. ****.

I sat there STUNNED for about five minutes. This was the first hit out of the box and I was sure the rest would suck...as you can see, this was probably the best box I know I would ever see from this product. Like I said, I'm done. I ain't touching this stuff again because anything I pull will be **** compared to this.

Good work, Upper Deck...VERY good work!
April 28, 2010, 01:06 PM
MvG
Congratz, nice pulls! Hope my ONE box will hold as many hits. Talk about a nice return on investment.
April 28, 2010, 01:32 PM
archifou
I pay big bucks just for the prop card wish I can have this luck by opening a box and have made that saving for another set :-(
April 28, 2010, 01:36 PM
mintoncard
Without a doubt, that beats my 5-in-1-box pulls. Congrats!
April 28, 2010, 01:56 PM
Raj
Triple B, the characters on your sketch cards are Jack of Hearts and Black Widow.

Nice box.
April 28, 2010, 02:00 PM
Triple B
Thanks all...I was absolutely stunned to say the very least...Raj, any idea who the artist of the painting (Black Widow) is?
April 28, 2010, 02:28 PM
igman7
It is Joe Pekar, which I noted on the thread that you created re: your box. I also posted a small pic of the full piece on the Frank Raposa Jack of Hearts.

April 28, 2010, 05:49 PM
gooniesguy
I'm trying to spread my case out this time... after seeing you hit 5 in one box it's not easy to do though Smile. So far so good though.. although there is one sketch I couldn't find the name of the artist for.. nice sketches though

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gooniesguy,
April 28, 2010, 07:15 PM
riddickfan
These breaks are fenom!!! Elephant

April 28, 2010, 11:13 PM
Batman
First round of boxes finally arrived, didn't open them all yet but here are the first 5 boxes:

No autos yet, but I'm happy with the sketches, especially the Tony Perna Spider-Woman. Onward!

April 29, 2010, 12:44 PM
Triple-Frog
Some fantastic breaks Thumb Up .Anybody know the insertion rates for the three chase sets?
April 29, 2010, 01:19 PM
Batman
As far as hobby boxes, there is an insert in every pack, 3 die-ciuts per box, and approximately 10 cover cards and 8 armor cards per box.

April 29, 2010, 04:05 PM
chesspieceface
It's pretty clear that this is one of the best Sketch sets ever, and certainly in regards to comic book characters. Not only are there a lot of actual Marvel comic book artists participating, but the repeat-a-sketches and quick-draws seem pretty minimal.

I missed the Hobby pre-order opportunity on these, but did manage to land a retail case, of which hopefully I can post the results here next week. If it's got even half the hits of a hobby case, I'll be satisfied. I've already bought 3 single sketches from Ebay, each awesome, and I'm not a rabid sketch collector by any means.

Congrats on the great pulls, everybody (and I mean everybody!)

April 29, 2010, 04:16 PM
Batman
My dealer is sending me retail boxes, and his distributor assurred him that UD told him they are the same as hobby boxes. The boxes which I just got, which are "hobby" boxes, have no wording on them stating "hobby", so I have every confidence that they will be the same.

April 29, 2010, 05:00 PM
chesspieceface
I hope that's true, but the solicit I got for these said 6 boxes of 48 packs each. The regular boxes only have 24 packs, I believe.

And also, the writeup noted Signature and sketch cards were possible, but made no mention of memorabilia/costume cards (which is perfectly OK since that's my least favorite of the three "hit" types).