Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Frankenstein (Artbox)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frankenstein (Artbox)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted
Well, this set took nearly a year longer than expected to get out. Was it worth the wait?
For me - sorta-kinda. Confused

There were two complete sets in each box we opened. The story of the first movie is told sequentially and this makes up 71 of the 72 card set. The last card is a checklist.
The black and white images are a mixed bag of very cool and why this. Some of the images are kind of blurry. I imagine that has more to do with the original images themselves than it does the card image process, but the question still arrises - why use these shots?
The backs of the cards, I'm happy to report, are a much more positive experience. Most have not only descriptive text concerning the card front, but also behind-the-scenes type info, which I really liked.
Besides the 2 base sets with extras, each box had five of nine glow-in-the-dark cards with puzzle backs.
These were very nice, although mine didn't glow quite as brightly as some of these types do.

Each box has one of three available box-topper cards which also glow in the dark and are backed with, what seams like the official Universal Studios Frankenstein seal.

I did get one film card with two seperate film strips. One had a scene of the wedding celebration and the other Fritz tormenting the monster with a torch. Pretty cool. Thumb Up

Each box contained one sketch card. In our three we got a Kong, a Lilly and color Martineck Big Grin.
Most of the sketches I've seen are close-ups of the monster's face and while I'm sure there are other variations, there seemed to be a lack of variety.
No prop (wire) card and no Karloff signature Frown

All in all, a decent set. One certainly worth getting if you're a monster/horror fan. I may be wrong, but I have the feeling Artbox was kept on a short leash by the hooded and sinister keepers of the Universal license. A LOT more imagination would have made this set a must have. It was disappointing that only the first film was covered so thoroughly. Someone said earlier that they expected all of the Frankenstein films to be represented and I think that would have been a more satisfying idea for a larger set.
Myself, I'd give the next series a try (Wolf Man - Dracula?), but I think it would be a mistake to make a set for each and every different film with the main characters. I'm curious to see what Artbox and Universal come up with next.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeFitz,

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I opened 1 box. What a waste! I could only make 1 base set. The box also contained the box loader and 5 of the 9 glow in the dark cards. I didn't pull a sketch, or prop.
Laura

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Two boxes for me. Base collation was good with 2 full sets per box and no more than one extra (per box) of any card.

One box had an unnumbered box-topper, the other was dry. The wet box also had a Cinema Film Card #/84 out of a set of nine (1:80 packs).

5 of the insert glow cards per box, as advertised.

1 sketch per box, an Aragon and a Henderson.

I "toy" per box, a Frankie (painted) and a Bride of Frankenstein (glow-in-the-dark). There are three varieties for each character (the third type is clear), making a total of 6 different toys available.

No Karloff cut signature card, of which there were three made (1:20,000 packs). No electrical-wiring prop card, #/50 (1:1200 packs).

Altogether it was an okay set that would have benefitted if they had digitally remastered the film and had shots that were all sharp. I guess it's hard to come up with a bunch of unique sketch cards when nobody remembers much about the film except Boris' expressions, so there seems to be a bit of sameness there, even though the artists did great work.

So I think it's a creditable enough release to enable Artbox to follow up with other Universal properties every Halloween or two. But it didn't plow new ground for an "old movie" set like Breygent's Wizard of Oz did. That might not be totally fair as a comparison because of the subject matter. ...

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zerosev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
I opened 1 box. What a waste! I could only make 1 base set. The box also contained the box loader and 5 of the 9 glow in the dark cards. I didn't pull a sketch, or prop.
Laura

Artbox "should" take care of your missing sketch card. my friend received a glow in the dark sketch, when he didn't pull one of these from two cases. so not a cheapy!
Contact Artbox for the missing sketch.

Posts: 101 | Location: SLZ | Registered: June 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Artbox "should" take care of your missing sketch card. my friend received a glow in the dark sketch, when he didn't pull one of these from two cases. so not a cheapy!
Contact Artbox for the missing sketch.

Thanks. I emailed Artbox last night. Will let you know the outcome.
Laura

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
Somebody wants to post some pics of the sketches???

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ribeyespud
posted Hide Post
Hey, I gotta tell ya ( I just gotta tell someone!) I bought one box of Frankenstein and I got a colored bride figure and Film Card CFC #6 80/84 and a Prop Card # 32/50, 5 glow in the dark cards & 1 box topper. The only thing I didn't get was the signature card and 1 complete set of base cards. The prop card was the only card in the wrapper because it was so thick so had it not been for that maybe I would have gotten at least one full set. NOTE: Artbox more than made up for it as they set me a free frankenstein colored figure and promos as well as the missing card. Plus they were very nice to me on the phone. As a fan of the orginal movie ever since I was a kid it's awesome to have an actual piece of electrical cable from a 75 year old movie classic. Thanks for listenin' ribeyespud

Posts: 177 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cverdec
posted Hide Post
I picked up 4 boxes at the Philly Show a while back. I got:
Martineck sketch (Colored) Thumb Up
Miller Sketch (painted w/glow in the dark ink) Big Grin
Renzine Sketch (pencil)
Unknown sketch (pencil)-help anyone??? Confused
Film Card CFC4 (19/84)
Film Card CFC6 (32/84)
Film Card CFC7 (16/84)

Here are the sketches:

Chris

Posts: 920 | Location: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: August 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Nice Thumb Up

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For cverdec:
Your card:
Unknown sketch (pencil)-help anyone???

is a rare (40 copies) of Robert Aragon sketch!
See: http://www.darkvisionsinc.com/Robert%20Aragon/RA_Art.html

Bye

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Limelco,

Posts: 23 | Location: Italy | Registered: November 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cverdec
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I sent him an email asking for some more info about the cards he did for the set. Big Grin

Chris

Posts: 920 | Location: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: August 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
did a cut-signature card of boris already surfaced?

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I've seen it in an ebay store for a American dealer for $8000.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
quote:
ve seen it in an ebay store for a American dealer for $8000.

Eek Eek Eek

A belgian hiphop group

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I had a box of these that I was going to save for OTB day but decided to go with a different title for that and opened this one today.

4 cards short of making 2 base sets (missing 2 & 72 from each one and have already emailed Artbox).
1 box topper and 3 of the glow-in-the-dark cards.
1 Cinema FilmCard cfc8 #41/84
1 Fantastic color sketch by Robert Aragorn Thumb Up :

Greg

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Servo
posted Hide Post
I was quite happy with my box, made up for a dissapointing Doctor Who one i had gotten a few days before.

2 Base Sets
5 Chase Cards
1 Box Topper
1 Sketch Card (no idea on artist)
1 Film Cell Card CFC6 (82/84)
Bride Of Frankenstein Ficure - Clear Variant

Posts: 99 | Location: UK | Registered: April 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Victory_is_Mine!!
posted Hide Post
Opened a case of this a week or so ago. Overall we were pretty happy. No Prop, or Signature or color sketch, but 1 box did have an extra sketch in it, and a couple were pretty cool.

11-Sketches:
Rodriguez-2
Henderson-2
Lilly-1
Renzine-1
Miller- 1
Aragon-2
Hernandez-1
Martineck-1

3-FilmCards:
cfc-4 02/84 Images were of the little girl, & a mob.
cfc-9 41/84 2 fantastic images of Frankenstein in the bushes.
cfc-9 17/84 2 more great images of Frankenstein by a cabin, and walking towards the river.

The case had 8 of the 9 possible toys.

Overall pretty fun afternoon, and we didn't think the card design was nearly as poor as some people had rumored it to be.

Posts: 86 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow Victory is Mine pulled 2 Aragon Sketch cards Eek Eek Eek in 1 case

got a box of this and got the following
1 Box topper card
1 Sketch Warren Martineck Smile Smile Smile
1 Film card (THANKYOU!!!!!)
two base sets
a toy too Smile
Well happy Smile Smile Smile

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
great breakdown. congrats

A belgian hiphop group