Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Doctor Who The Tenth Doctor Adventures (Topps Online, 2016)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctor Who The Tenth Doctor Adventures (Topps Online, 2016)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In some ways you are correct Raven, but don't forget the extra cost involved in getting them shipped to the UK. Postage for my five boxes, including the SW 3D set I also picked up, came to $75.76. Still a bargain price as I bought several boxes but it takes the individual box prices up to $55 each Smile

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
I got my boxes today.

Box 484

Box 486

Box 481

Box 404

Box 585

There were about 9 auto's I really would of liked to of got so with there been equal numbers of each card it made it about 1 in 4 chance. I got 1 of the cards I wanted twice and one other double. Got a couple more that I am happy with. How is everyone storing their cards, pages, toploaders or screwdowns. These are the first widescreen cards I have bought.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sittin9duck,

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Oh yes Kevin, I was just quoting the straight $40 cost. When I looked to buy, I would have had shipping and state sales tax added, and I think that made one box around $52. Still much less than you.

We have been talking about international shipping in a couple of threads right now. The US does not have VAT, but we have state taxes and the cost of our regular international mail has gone up. I think your VAT and custom charges on the backend are even worse. No matter where, the cost of international shipping is getting very prohibitive. The end result is that many card collectors will have to stick to their domestic markets, while politicians talk about the global economy. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I got 3 more boxes today.

Tommy Knight as Luke Smith (09/25)
Nicolas Briggs as voice of Dalek

Billie Piper as Rose Tyler
Simon Fisher-Becker as Dorium Maldovar

Joe Dempsie as Cline (05/25)
Camille Coduri as Jackie Tyler

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I got 4 boxes. Super fast shipping and no customs charge. I thought I was winning until...

Freema Agyeman as Martha Jones (04/10)
Simon Fisher-Becker as Dorium Maldovar

Gabriel Woolf as The Beast from the pit (23/25)
Clare Higgins as Ohila

Clare Higgins as Ohila (19/25)
Shaun Dingwall as Pete Tyler

Clare Higgins as Ohila
Joe Dempsie as Cline (02/25)

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I received my second box yesterday, #734/1500. This was one that I purchased during the "super-sale" when boxes were priced at $40.

I pulled Jonathan Bailey as PSI, 14/25 annnd...
Alex Kingston as River Song!! Clap Clap Clap

So happy about that pull as her card was one of the ones that I really, REALLY wanted from this set!

To date, I've had more luck with these boxes than any I've had in a long time. Granted, my sample size is small, but for the cost of one full-priced box, I think that my four pulled autos are pretty darn good.

Since my box number is right around 1/2 of the total boxes made, Topps may yet put them on sale again at some future date - at which time I might try my luck once again. I mean, that David Tennant auto has to be in one of those boxes, right? Wink And speaking of the Tennant auto, has anyone seen or heard of his "common" (unnumbered) auto being pulled? All I've seen for sale on Ebay have been a few of the numbered version (at silly prices). Wonder if they're still in boxes at Topps or if the folks who pulled them have decided to keep them in their collection, opting to try and sell the numbered versions at a premium.

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
Well done on your breaks.

Some of the auto's must be shorter print's as 1 gold, 10 silver, 25 bronze and 50 blue of 38 auto's is 3268 and there should be only 3000 in total. At that rate they could have 5 of the main auto's with no blue cards inserted. Has anyone noticed no blue's of any other cards.

I have not seen any blue's of the John Simm auto's.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sittin9duck,

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks sittin9duck, I really like this set. Smile

That's a good point about some of the autos being a shorter print run. I never thought to do the math, just assumed all were equal.

Re. the Tennant autos: so far I have seen the 1/1 Gold (which no longer shows up in the listings but also does not come up as sold), two of his Silver autos (/10) and three Bronze (/25). In the sold column I found one Silver (/10) at a Best Offer accepted price of $299. That's quite a bit less that the BIN Bronze cards currently listed. As I've mentioned in the past, I put no premium on these numbered autos. They weren't handled by the signers, they are stickers. That being said, anyone holding an unnumbered "common" Tennant auto from this set, I value it at about a Benjamin. Big Grin

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sittin9duck:
Well done on your breaks.

Some of the auto's must be shorter print's as 1 gold, 10 silver, 25 bronze and 50 blue of 38 auto's is 3268 and there should be only 3000 in total. At that rate they could have 5 of the main auto's with no blue cards inserted. Has anyone noticed no blue's of any other cards.

I have not seen any blue's of the John Simm auto's.

Hi sittin9duck,

To your point of potentially no blue autos of the five main autos: I'm curious which autos you'd place on that short list of main autos?

Certainly David Tennant but also I'd include Billie Piper and John Barrowman, as well as Alex Kingston ( all companions). Probably also Derek Jacobi.

I've personally pulled blue copies of Piper and Kingston, and purchased a blue copy of the Barrowman autograph. Have also seen blue Jacobis'. I do wonder which ones were short printed, though?

Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
Of the 268 cards over what should of been box inserted I think some will of been kept for replacements, some would of been used as file copies and some sent out as demo's to different departments, actor agent's and for approval by the BBC. I expect some of all the auto cards would of been kept out of the set.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcole:
I received my second box yesterday, #734/1500. This was one that I purchased during the "super-sale" when boxes were priced at $40.

So happy about that pull as her card was one of the ones that I really, REALLY wanted from this set!

To date, I've had more luck with these boxes than any I've had in a long time. Granted, my sample size is small, but for the cost of one full-priced box, I think that my four pulled autos are pretty darn good.

Since my box number is right around 1/2 of the total boxes made, Topps may yet put them on sale again at some future date - at which time I might try my luck once again. I mean, that David Tennant auto has to be in one of those boxes, right? Wink And speaking of the Tennant auto, has anyone seen or heard of his "common" (unnumbered) auto being pulled? All I've seen for sale on Ebay have been a few of the numbered version (at silly prices). Wonder if they're still in boxes at Topps or if the folks who pulled them have decided to keep them in their collection, opting to try and sell the numbered versions at a premium.

Congrats on pulling the Alex Kingston auto! Her autograph is one of the few I'd like to pull from a Doctor Who set.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
quote:
Originally posted by dcole:

Congrats on pulling the Alex Kingston auto! Her autograph is one of the few I'd like to pull from a Doctor Who set.

Thanks Laura! Yep, I was really, really happy to have pulled her card. The only one that would have topped that would have been a David Tennant. Smile

Speaking of David Tennant autos from this set, I still have not see a "common" (blue, to 50) card surface on Ebay. In fact, I haven't really seen many new autos at all from this set show up online in the past couple of weeks. Which is interesting because Topps has now pulled this set and the other Dr. Who set from their website. So either someone bought up those last 700+ boxes and is hoarding them, or Topps decided to hold back the remaining boxes and not sell them at this time.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Still have not seen any Blue (# to 50) David Tennant autograph cards from this set. A Bronze (25 of 25) just sold on Ebay by a UK dealer for $185.00. I was bidding on this one but let it go as I have some other fun hobby expenses currently in the queue. But this is good news for me as I think this points to the prices on these stickered autos beginning to really drop off.

Speaking of prices, though, a couple weeks ago I offered $125 on a bronze Tennant from this set to a guy who had one listed at $599, OBO. That's a crazy price. If he had countered at around $200, we could have (at that time) worked something out. Instead he came back at $500. Roll Eyes

Oh well, maybe he'll see that sold listing and be a bit more reasonable next time. Wink

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
My 2 boxes yielded :

Bernard Cibbins as Wilfred Mott 02/25
Shaun Dingwall as Pete Tyler 08/10
Camille Coduri as Jackie Tyler
Clare Higgins as OHILA.

Not massive but ok

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
So, I've bought a ton of these boxes in the past year and a half. I've gotten a couple of River Songs and that was probably the best card I've gotten from them.

But today, it all paid off... I bought "one last box" and opened it. It yielded...

David Tennant #3 of 10!!!!!!!!!!! I was like, What?! I didn't believe it for like 5 minutes. I'm on cloud nine right now!!!

Dance Elephant Bouncey

Posts: 1951 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jessica:
So, I've bought a ton of these boxes in the past year and a half. I've gotten a couple of River Songs and that was probably the best card I've gotten from them.

But today, it all paid off... I bought "one last box" and opened it. It yielded...

David Tennant #3 of 10!!!!!!!!!!! I was like, What?! I didn't believe it for like 5 minutes. I'm on cloud nine right now!!!

Dance Elephant Bouncey

That's madness! Clap Congrats. Clap What a fantastic pull. Elephant Elephant Elephant Sheep

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
well done Jessica. Clap

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Awesome pull! Congrats Jessica. Bouncey

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
Thanks!! I'm still amazed. This is definitely the best pull of my life. Now I have to find a case for it. Any suggestions? Not wanting to do toploaders.

Posts: 1951 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted to pull a David Tennant autograph, not because of Doctor Who, but because of Broadchurch and other things he's been in. Alas no such luck. Congrats on your find. Thumb Up

I have kept some of my better autograph cards in top loaders, its OK as long as you keep a penny sleeve inside too. I may be a bit too relaxed about my signatures, but as long as you stay away from strong light and humidity you shouldn't have to lose any sleep over it. There are thicker slabs that can be used and there are the smaller ones with magnetic closure, but I actually don't like them. The screw down type may get too tight on the card and I have had the magnetic type accidentally open up on me and the card go on the floor. So in the end I just keep it simple and most of my cards just stay in binders with Ultra Pro pages.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post