Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Spiderman 2 Movie Cards (Upper Deck)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spiderman 2 Movie Cards (Upper Deck)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of ghostrider666
posted
Opened my box today.
1st a little back story. I had read that these cards were being released last week. Finding it odd that none on the dealers would have a box at Wiz World Philly, I asked the UD reps at their booth about the release. I was told that they were delayed until late Jun. 2 yrs in a row I spoke to the UD people, 2 yrs in a row they had NO idea what they were taking about.

ANyway. I did get a 70 card set + 43 extras, 2-3 card lenticular sub sets (At least I think they're 3 card subsets as nowhere does it say, except that they are inserted at 1:4) and 1 of the 2 "Reel piece of Action" cards.

While getting what was stated, I have to complain about the poor quality control withthe cards. Many were damaged. Bent corners, creases, 1 was gouged. Many had tiny bubbles in the ink from the printing process.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xSaBx,

Posts: 1495 | Location: Hbg Pa USA | Registered: January 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of aagranata
posted Hide Post
You did better than me, Ghostrider666. I'm short one card for a base set (#29). If anyone has an extra, I sure could use it.

I did have better luck with the quality of my cards. A few corners were dinged but overall it was great. It was nice to have a set like this (with very few difficult chase cards) at this time of year with so many good releases coming out.

Posts: 822 | Location: Spanaway, WA | Registered: May 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of MiniMe
posted Hide Post
So ... would you gentlemen say that the base set card quality was worse than than the previous "Spiderman 1" set by Topps?

How was the look/feel of the lenticular cards and "Reel piece of the action" cards?

@@@ ScottEvil Cool

Posts: 4072 | Location: 40.71° N, 74.01° W | Registered: September 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of xSaBx
posted Hide Post
Another small edit to add the Manufacturer to the title... Big Grin

Crunchy on the Outside,
Smooth on the Inside:
Armadillos!

REMEMBER: Take out the 'removemefirst' from my e-mail address to reply...

Posts: 5362 | Location: The South East, United Kingdom | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of aagranata
posted Hide Post
I would say the quality is much better than Topps' first Spider-Man effort. The cards have the same type of foil lettering and design like Upper Deck's Hulk set. The cards also have a thicker stock than most sets. The lenticular cards were about the same as other companies. Don't know why they only made 3, however. I really like the film cell card...something different for a change.

Posts: 822 | Location: Spanaway, WA | Registered: May 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of ghostrider666
posted Hide Post
IMO, teh quality of the Topps cards were better. I DO like the UD inserts mmore though. The lenticular's are nice (but nothing new) and the film cells (real pice of the action" cards are really cool.

Posts: 1495 | Location: Hbg Pa USA | Registered: January 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know after criticising UD about their lack of ambition and creativity for this set I actually prefer them to the Spiderman 1 movie cards. I especially like the chase cards and even the base cards are well designed with crisp images. Not that I don't think UD could try harder, if ever there was a license to print money this is it!!

Posts: 258 | Location: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What does a Master Set consist of on this ? How many different chase cards are there ?

David

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of aagranata
posted Hide Post
This set contains only 3 lenticular cards (generally two sets per box) and two film cell cards (one Spider-Man and one Doctor Octopus) which come one per box. I'm assuming that every film cell card has a different image, but I consider it a master set if you have one of each character.

I'm disappointed that this set has no promos. Can't remember the last time I saw a set with no promos...

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of RupT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aagranata:
Can't remember the last time I saw a set with no promos...

Charmed POT Frown

www.darthtailor.co.uk

Remove the "_NO_SPAM" before emailing me Smile

Posts: 4234 | Location: London, UK | Registered: September 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
1 box.

1 base set
1 Reel Piece of the Action card (can't make out anything but buildings and cars)
2 sets of Lenticular motion cards (assuming that L1, L2 and L3 make a set - there's no checklist).

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
1 box 24 packs
1 complete set C
About 10-15 cards shy of a 2nd set
1 film card(spiderman & buildings) C
6 Motion cards(2 sets) C
Overall grade C
Not much to get excited about.

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
What, NO promos??? Twak Twak Twak Twak Was Up With Dat?????

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I got three 70-card sets, and some odd cards, out of two 24-pack boxes... and four sets of the 3 lenticular cards, plus the two different film-frame cards - I do like it when two boxes go together like that!

There is a slight feeling that Upper Deck don't really understand non-sports cards - I mean, chase cards that are more common than regular cards...? I can't say that the photos they used were all that amazing, or indeed spectacular - rather too many shots of Peter Parker loking pensive!

Posts: 4 | Location: London | Registered: June 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Got a cheap box at dragonCon.
1 set with some duplicates
1 set of 3 lect. cards duplicates 1,1, and 3
1 "Doc Ock" film card with a full head shot of Toby as parker and a half-face/back of hair shot of dunce as mary jane at the deli before doc ock throws the card through the window.

I pack pulled a doc Ock cell a few weeks ago and it was spider-man swinging through the air!

So, I have been Extremely pleased with the film cells from this set!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post