Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Cryptozoic, 2014)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Cryptozoic, 2014)
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted
Broke three boxes, collation on a 101 card base set is great got a full set from each box. Autographs are well done and the sketch I pulled was of nice quality. Inserts other than the autos and sketch leave something to be desired, not much there. Nice but could be better overall.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
Those are kinder words than you used with me today when we opened that one box!

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Well yes these boxes are expensive based on what you get I blame Germany LOL!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Auto's look good

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
To be honest, with a ratio of 1:96, although you were lucky to get a sketch, I would have wanted something more than what amounts to a color chart for what pencils the artist has Shake Head

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
OK, my turn to join in the fun and games. I have a single case of the Hobbit and I think I pretty much nailed the Autos. I really couldn't have asked for a better selection. In other ways the case was good too. Colation was absolutely perfect. Everything that should have been there was there.

I was very pleased with the chase sets. The 'Lonely Mountain' cards did a good job of telling the story of how the Dwarves lost their home and the Character Biography cards are just gorgeous. The two lenticular cards I found are excellent, although the 'Council' card is definitely the better of the two. I'm not going to waste time trying to get a good photo or scan of either of them though as they can only be appreciated in hand Smile

The scan shows the autos in the order I pulled them with the Writer Auto being in the final few packs of my last box. After everything I'd already pulled it was a really nice surprise. Also, in case any one is unsure, it counts as the regular box auto card not a bonus hit. So my 12 boxes resulted in 12 autos:

Autographs

A1 Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield
A5 James Nesbitt as Bofur the Dwarf
A6 Stephen Hunter as Bombur the Dwarf
A7 Dean O'Gorman as Fili the Dwarf
A9 John Callen as Oin the Dwarf 'I can't hear ya.' variant
A12 Mark Hadlow as Dori the Dwarf
A14 Ian Holm as Bilbo Baggins
A16 Manu Bennett as the voice of Azog
A17 Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins
A19 Lee Pace as Thranduil
A29 Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown
CA-2 Philippa Boyens - Writer

The sketches again in the order I found them:

Sketches

Grant Gould - Bifur the Dwarf
Danny Silva - Goblin
Vince Sunico - Rock Warrior

The Rest

12 Complete Base Sets
4 Complete 18 Card 'Lonely Mountain' Sets
1 Complete 19 Card Character Biographies Set
2 x Lenticular Cards:
KA-02 The Company of Dwarves,
KA-04 The Council

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
great breakdown .I have now seen several quotes on the john callen auto who`s going to get them all ?

Posts: 312 | Location: united kingdom | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Flag City Collectibles
posted Hide Post
Nice breaks so far, keep them coming. Looking for foil #2 & 15, have pretty much the rest for trade if anyone is looking to trade foils even up. Would prefer to do 2 for 2 at the same time, can include more on my part to get the deal done.

Posts: 749 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
This looks like a nice set. Not crazy about the sketches, but I'm just too darn picky.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vampy:
great breakdown .I have now seen several quotes on the john callen auto who`s going to get them all ?

Maybe we have a new Billy Drago in the making!

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
I opened one box so far and received autograph A17 of Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins!

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Here are the results of my 6 box break...

A09 John Callen as Oin / A10 Peter Hambleton as Gloin

A11 Jed Brophy as Nori / A13 Adam Brown as Ori

A15 Barry Humphries as The Great Goblin / A20 Sylvester McCoy as Radagast

Stephanie Swanger

Richard Salvucci...the scan does not do justice to the colors and detail of this card...it is stunning in person...

I also pulled a 3D Lenticular card (KA-04)...12 Character Biographies and 36 Lonely Mountain Flashback cards...very happy with the 6 boxes...

Posts: 38 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: August 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Ok, I DO like the Smaug sketch!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I have found this beautiful sketch from Bilbo by Soni Alcorn-Hender.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the great sketches, both the Soni immediately above this and the sweet Smaug above that.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened three cases. Got the expected nine sketches and not a bad sketch in there. In fact the overall standard was superb. Shows that a high quality 3 sketch case product beats a 12-15 average quality sketch case product hands down.

My favourite three cards pulled;

Excellent product.

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Opened the first of my 4 boxes.
Is there really any point in opening the other 3 boxes? Smile

Dan Bergren

Looks like imageshack may be making linking to the images more difficult except as thumbnails. May be time to move to photobucket.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
WOW! Well done Raj. Can't do any better than that. Dance Thumb Up

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Logan.

The other 3 boxes yielded the following autographs
Stephen Hunter as Bombur
Mark Hudlow as Dori
Phylippa Boyens, the screenwriter

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish:
Shows that a high quality 3 sketch case product beats a 12-15 average quality sketch case product hands down.

Not for your average consumer it doesn't. One guaranteed hit per box is awful whichever way you cut it. Especially at the price boxes of this command.

Not that I bought any boxes, I hasten to add - wasn't even remotely worth it - but "I got f*ck all in my box but it's OK because whoever did get a sketch in theirs got a great one" is not justification for stingy product.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post