Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Marvel Masterpieces 3 (Upper Deck 2008)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marvel Masterpieces 3 (Upper Deck 2008)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
A few boxes today

Black Cat by Chuck George

Namor by Graham Nolan

Tigra by Justin Chung (one of only 20 Elephant)

I also got autos from Larry Hama and Paul Tobin.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
Some nice cards posted here!

What's the consensus on this release - yay or nay??

My understanding is that UD's MM1 was good, MM2 wasn't so hot and MM3 is...?

Thanks for any input!

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
1 was a HUGE yes. Two was the worst of the three..but not by that much. UD screwed the proverbial pooch by putting the two sets out so close together (I know they had to push before the liscense ran out) and there was a flood of AP's between the two sets.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by anthonyd:

Thanks for any input!

MM2 is very weak, and overproduced to boot. MM1 has the better high end hits but I think for overall quality I think MM3 is the best of the 3, and boxes/cases are still quite affordable. I'd take the 3 boxes of MM3 over the 1 box of MM1 you can buy for the same price.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
Robert was kind enough to bring me home a box of this from the Philly Show. I got a lovely colored sketch of Captain America(in the foreground) and other assembled Avengers in the background (Vision, Namor, etc.) drawn by Monsanto, along with an appropriate number of chase cards. There was also an autographed card of Jim Salicrup in the box as well : )

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the input!

Much appreciated.

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by anthonyd:

Thanks for any input!

All 3 of the sets are very nicely produced in terms of card stock, printing, etc, but the art on the 3 base sets is recycled, usually from the "Marvel VS." card game. The original 5 Masterpieces sets from the 1990's were all-new art commisioned by Skybox/Fleer for each set, so I think those sets will always be more popular than the new ones by Upper Deck, despite the fact the in general, the production runs for the new cards are significantly lower.
For instance, there were over 200,000(!) boxes of 1992 Marvel Masterpieces made (plus thousands more Factory Sets), but only 13,000 boxes of 2007 Upper Deck Set 1 and no factory sets at all.

I feel the Series 1 base set is by far, the best of the three Upper Deck series. The Series 2 cards quite famously have at least 4 different cards with the characters mis-named on them, so that series was a real rush job, no doubt about it. Set 3 has some cards that are completely extraneous, particularly the villain mug shots at the end of the set. There was no reason for a card of the side AND front view of the Spider-Man villain Mysterio, for example, who frankly looks the same from any angle given his domed helmet. Several cards were wasted in this way.

As far as the non-sketch chase cards go, the foil cards throughout the sets re-use art from other cards in the base set repeatedly, and many of those images also appeared on the promo cards. It is just amazing to me that with literally thousands of Marvel images they could have used, that the recycling of the art they did use was so rampant.

All 3 sets had nice sketch cards, and these Upper Deck Marvel series were probably more consistent in having decent to good quality sketches than many other sketch card driven sets and the writer autograph for Set 3 really were a nice touch.

In the long run, since the Series 1 set was the true limited edition and the Gold Foil parallel cards (which came 6 per box) were limited to only about 850 of each card, they will be the only ones on par with the earlier sets from a collectible standpoint.

I was glad for these sets and I hope there are more from whatever manufacturer, but with all-new art for the base cards the next time around.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Opened 1 box and got this rather nice sketch by Brian Shearer.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
spidergoblin like Raj Hulk sketch Big Grin

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Picked up a pair of $55 boxes of these at the 2010 San Diego Comic Con and got the following:

Nice sketches, and pretty darn pleased to find an auto in each box!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And checking in where I left off 3 years ago, I picked up these 4 sketches (edited from the 16 I actually got but no longer have) at the 2013 San Diego Comic Con:

PIC to follow

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post
Nice haul!

Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HIM:
Nice haul!

It's great when you can make a package type purchase, but I am funny when it comes to sketch cards. More so than any other type of hit, a sketch card has to meet a certain $ standard in my mind. I see it and say OK, this is worth $10, this one is worth $20, and so on. My standard will not be the same as anyone else's estimate, and theirs shouldn't be the same as mine. Its just a matter of perspective.

So, if you tell me what the average card cost in this 16 card package, that will determine how good the deal was. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post