Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Chronicles of The Three Stooges - Series 1 (RRParks Cards, 2014)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronicles of The Three Stooges - Series 1 (RRParks Cards, 2014)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted
Here is my box break (and review) for Chronicles of The Three Stooges Series 1 from RRParks Cards.

As a longtime Three Stooges fan, I’m excited that someone has released a set of Stooges cards that will eventually cover every short. The last Stooges card release from Breygent in 2005 was good, but it only covered select shorts. Plus the cards were colorized and there were too many chase cards with only a few per box. Before that, DuoCards released a set in 1997 on nice heavy gloss card stock. While the images were in black and white, many were somewhat blurry. The DuoCards set was more an overall biography of the Stooges.

Base set:
The base set has crisp black and white photos on glossy card stock. On the reverse of each card features a list of talent involved, plot synopsis and interesting facts about the short itself. These cards have a yellow trim boarder.

Stooge Gals Subset:
Features the female co-stars of the Stooge shorts. Great quality images with information about which shorts they starred in, as well as what each actress went on to do after working with the Stooges. These cards have a red trim boarder.

What a Drag! Subset:
This subset showcases the many times the boys have had to disguise themselves (or others) as females in their many shorts. These guys do not look good as “gals”, and that’s what makes them so funny. Each card has crisp pictures and synopsis of the short. These cards have a pink trim boarder.

Special Artist Portraits Inserts:
Great artist portraits of each of the Stooges as well as some of the regulars in their shorts. All drawn by Macarie Claudiu in very fine detail. These are printed on glossy card stock.

Pain-O-Rama puzzle Inserts:
Three puzzle cards that are supposed to stretch across to show Moe pulling Larry’s hair and leading Curly around by the nose. While the concept is clever, the execution makes Moe look very strange with extended arms. These are printed on glossy card stock. The images are incredibly crisp and clear.

Special Artist Portraits Foil Inserts:
Select artist portraits of each of the Stooges by Macarie Claudiu printed on foil card stock.

Special Artist Chibi Foil Inserts:
The Three Stooges drawn as Chibi / Manga characters by Ashlyn Larmeu. Cute versions of the Stooges printed on foil card stock.

Foil Box Topper card:
The box topper card is a great image representing the look used for the box design and wrappers. It’s printed on foil card stock, and came in a plastic holder.

Extra stuff:
There were posters ( 2 of the same) and a redemption postcard (for a complete promo set of The Three Stooges Chronicles Series 2 AND a Series 1 blank-back error card). Also in the box were some assorted promos for Series 1.

Cut out Mini-Cards:
All around the box itself are miniature images of The Stooges. On the inside of the box you can see the printed backs of those minis! Instructions are included on how to cut them all out. Very clever.

OVERALL:
For a Stooge fan like me, this is exactly what the doctor ordered. (Doctor Howard! Doctor Fine! Doctor Howard!). Quality (non-colorized) images, interesting trivia, new artist interpretations and lots and lots of goodies! I’m actually glad this series doesn’t pander to fans with unnecessary sketch cards or other gimmicky 1-per-box hits. I often feel those high-end chase cards take the spotlight away from the actual subject matter of certain sets. Bring on Series 2! (Now, if someone would release a Laurel & Hardy set like this, I can die a happy man.)

Notes:
My box contained 3 complete sets (Base, subsets, portraits and all foil cards). Including the foil box topper, I have a master set! (How many releases can claim that?)

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great set!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the review, it was very informative!

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I agree, a thorough and excellent review. Thank you for it!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I would like to get a set of these are they up for order on their site yet do you know?

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Just a shameless plug...

These will be available at the Chicago Non-Sport Card Show in a few weeks time. Along with promos from RRParks Cards in the admission packs.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RRParks CARDS
posted Hide Post
Right, Ed!
Am putting together the 'Chicago Promo Package' right now... well, today and tomorrow. Waiting on just a couple things. And will soon have that package mailed on out with a bunch of promo stuff. And series Two of Chronicles of the Three Stooges is coming along nicely (even have a kickstarter campaign active at this time) and series Three has actually started initial production.
Am having a LOT of fun with this publishing project.
Richard
RRParks CARDS

Posts: 87 | Location: Nevada | Registered: July 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RRParks CARDS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cline:
I would like to get a set of these are they up for order on their site yet do you know?

Hello Chris Cline,
Yes -- I've updated my RRParksCARDS website today. Although series one is available through my website, series two is only available via www.kickstarter.com at the moment.
RRParks CARDS

Posts: 87 | Location: Nevada | Registered: July 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I picked up a box of these this weekend, and I am very impressed with the overall quality of this release. The cards were done well produced, with good pictures, nice design, and interesting subsets. Topping it off was the ability to make a master set from one box. Kudos to RRParks for this excellent product, and I look forward to the next three series.

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RRParks CARDS
posted Hide Post
Thanks Will :-)
Comments like this go a long way towards bolstering moral! Chronicles of The Three Stooges series one was my first full on commercial level card series. Although 'we' already issued a couple smaller sets (The Monster Times, Monster Choke n Gag, Halloween Trick or Treat and Hans Holbein Dance of Death) Stooges series one was the 'big leap'. Chronicles of the Three Stooges series two was the second big leap -- 'tis out now. And the NEXT Stooges, series three, is due out around April and it's MASSIVE (as in 96 base and standard subsets plus 40 3D cards plus the next 40 'retro-stalgic' vintage style 1959 continuations and even more). And series four is already in the early stages of production... and is scheduled to release October 2015 in celebration of Halloween (and since my favorite old non sport cards are mostly monster related it's assured Stooges series four is going to have a LOT of Halloween themed cards). And just for 'fun'... Basil Wolverton's Barflyze is planned on issuing around April 2015 (with promo cards in the very next issue of NSU). Just celebrated my first full year of card publishing (and my 50th year on this planet)... 'tis a lot of fun (but also a LOT of work... am a one-man show!)
Richard Parks
RRParksCARDS