Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Star Wars Galaxy 2018 (Topps, 2018)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Galaxy 2018 (Topps, 2018)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted
Picked a retail blaster at Target.
10 packs, 6 cards each, and 1 patch.

1 patch (Like Galactic files design).
pack 1
1 green 1:4, 1 Rogue One Propaganda 1:6, 4 base
pack 2
1 blue, 1 Journey of Ahsoka 1:2, 4 base
pack 3
1 blue, 1 Wanted poster 1:4, 4 base
pack 4
1 green, 1 Resistance vs First Order 1:8, 4 base
pack 5
1 blue, 1 Journey, 4 base
pack 6
1 blue, 1 Ash, 4 base
pack 7
1 purple 60/99 1:41, 1 Wanted, 4 base
pack 8
1 blue, 1 Ash, 4 base
pack 9
1 green, 1 Legends 1:12, 4 base
pack 10
1 blue, 1 Ash, 1 Resist vs FO, 3 base

39 base, #100 highest number, no dupes
1 Legends, 2 Resist vs FO, 2 Wanted, 1 Rogue1, 5 Ahsoka, 6 blue, 3 green, 1 purple & 1 patch.

Patch parallels available in blue, green, purple, orange & red. No autos or sketches in retail blasters.

Overall grade C
Pros: base art, patch, box & wrapper designs.
Cons: Chase designs are OK, but they seem "same old", Ahsoka chase - the backs provide no storyline, and parallels are common too.

Check out second break below...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xtime,

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Opened 2 cases.
Base cards are beautiful. Inserts on the whole are nice looking. The Wanted and Propaganda inserts are re-hashes from earlier releases and the Ahsoka inserts are too plentiful. I am not sure if people will care about the parallels since the only difference on the front is the small foil stamp. I like the autograph design better than Finest but the selection is very rough. Sketches are typical with a little better quality. Patches are nice but Topps really needs to stop counting these as hits.

Case 1 highlights
Clive Revill autograph printing plate
Rees Finlay die-cut sketch
Patrick Davis sketch
Jason Queen sketch

Case 2 was much better
Hayden Christiansen auto plate
Clive Revillgreen auto
Lee Lightfoot sketch
Marcia Dye sketch
two die-cut sketches

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Got my box today - Thank you Ed - and it was a good one.
Got an incomplete set of 95 out of 100 base cards. 37 duplicates, 18 Blue parallel (2 duplicates), 6 Green parallel, 1 Purple parallel (82/99)
8 of 10 Journey of Ahsoka, 5 Duplicates
5 Wanted Posters
5 RP Propaganda
3 TP Propaganda
1 Etched Puzzle card
3 Legends (1 Purple parallel 16/99

Hits:
1 Patch card - Grand Moff Tarkin
1 Panoramic Sketch - Yoda by Nick Justus
1 Shaped Sketch - Monster by W. Silverman
1 Autograph - Nalini Krishan as Barriss Offee 41/50

Thoughts about this set:
Cons: Once again, I did not get a base set! I did get 37 DUPLICATES though. Am I the only person who beleives a base set should be in every box?
The Journey of Ahsoka cards are stylized red and black foil, but no text on back, what are we looking at here? So Ahsoka walked through water - and she got a chase card set for that?
The panoramic sketch is nicely done, but this is the second one I have ever pulled, and both have a central figure that would fit on one regular card, and lots of dead space. If artists are going to do panoramic sketches, fill up the drawing somehow.
The shaped sketch is very nicely done, probably a Rancor close up. But it was crimped ! Not just on the edge as we occasionally see, but in the middle! ACK!

Pros:
Yes there are pros - these cards are beautiful! Topps does other sets like Masterworks, for example, but I think Galaxy is the coolest series they have. I love the artwork, some of it done by my Facebook friends. The Legends chase set by the Glebe brothers is very nice.
The patch card is beautiful as well, it is art from a previous set, nicely framed. The autograph is very nice, I did not recall this character, but she was in Attack of the Clones.
I hopeto pick up a couple of Blasters, maybe finish off the last 5 base cards I need.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Don,
Good review. I'm also wondering what I'm looking at with the Ahsoka chase.
Equally, with you 10,000% about hobby boxes having a complete base set.
Topps is usually good about replacing defective cards, but it is still frustrating to get a crease or smear.

LMK which base you need. We may be able to help each other. Wave

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am thinking of sending the crimped sketch back for a replacement, too bad, the painted image on there is nice.
We definitely will help each other with base and chase xtime. I may get a blaster later this week.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
If a box has 132 base cards and there are 100 in the set the you SHOULD have a base set. Out of curiosity are any of the 5 missing base cards in the parallel cards? If they are/where at least the would be a full 100.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
No Hammer, the missing cards were not among the parallels

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Don, even more disappointing

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Second blaster...

39 base
5 Ahsoka
3 green
7 blue
1 Resistance vs First Order
1 Legends
2 Wanted
2 Rogue One
1 green patch 1:8 81/150

After two blasters...
62/100 base, 16 dupes
5 Ahsoka, 5 dupes Mad
6 green
13 blue
1 purple
3 Resist vs FO
2 Legends
3 Wanted, 1 dupe
3 Rogue One
1 regular patch
1 green patch

Overall C-
Pros: green patch, nice! Big Grin
Cons: Ahsoka chase. Caution collation issue.

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Got a second hobby box - my daughter gave me one for Christmas!
Finished off the five cards I needed for base set, plus Ahsoka and Wanted posters sets.
Autograph was Mary Oyaya as Luminara Unduli.
Only one sketch this time - another Ward Silverman, this time a regular sketch of battle of Hoth. I have decided I will keep the damaged card of his I received in my first box, I still think it is nicely done.

Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
I agree that there should be a base set in each box. I opened two boxes, and I did get a base set from each one. Here is a breakdown of the rest of those two boxes.

Box 1:
17 blue parallel
6 green parallel
1 purple parallel (these are numbered /99)
Galaxy puzzle 4 of 6
12 Journey of Ahsoka including 1 through 10 and two doubles
2 Legends C-1 and C-2
3 New Trilogy Propoganda TP-1, TP-2, TP-6
4 Rogue One Propoganda RP-1, RP-3, RP-6, RP-8
6 Wanted Posters, the full set
1 sketch card of Mace Windu by Stephanie Swanger, very nice
1 autograph of Steven Blum as Zeb Orrelios, a parallel autograph numbered 3/5

Box 2:
17 blue parallel
6 green parallel
1 purple parallel
Galaxy puzzle 3 of 6
13 Journey of Ahsoka including 1 through 10 and two doubles and a purple paralle of #9
2 Legends C-1 and C-3
3 New Trilogy Propoganda TP-3, TP-4, TP-5
4 Rogue One Propoganda RP-4, RP-5, RP-7, RP-9
6 Wanted Posters, the full set
1 sketch card of Rey by Nicholas Baltra, looks good
1 autograph of Paul Warren as Varmik

The two boxes that I opened were well collated with each other. I don't have any parallel doubles. I only need 4 galaxy puzzle, 2 legends and 1 Rogue One propoganda to finish a mini-master set.

I agree with previous comments regarding the parallels - there isn't much to distinguish them from the base set. The base set artwork is good. It's nice to have another Galaxy set.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post