Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Avengers 50th Anniversary (Unstoppable Cards, 2012)

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4026073384/m/2467065426

October 01, 2012, 11:49 AM
SHouseman
Avengers 50th Anniversary (Unstoppable Cards, 2012)
quote:
Originally posted by MILLHOUSE:
Hi Millhouse here as promised here is a scan of the 4 sketch cards I pulled from my 2 boxes

Can anyone tell me who the Lee Lightfoot sketch card is

I believe it is Brian Blessed. I did a similar sketch of him from the same episode.

October 01, 2012, 11:57 AM
Chrisahend
quote:
Originally posted by MILLHOUSE:

Can anyone tell me who the Lee Lightfoot sketch card is of?Elephant Elephant

I think it may be Brian Blessed from the episode "The Superlative Seven"
October 01, 2012, 01:59 PM
steve j
I got 21 sketch cards and a normal amount of autos c/w the Diana Rigg Auto in my case. Its a nice set, although I now have a mountain of base sets.

I do have a problem with a couple of the sketch cards as they have some banding which must have been done during packing. Unfortunately one of them is a Carolyn Edwards sketch, so I am really gutted, it was a real beauty; I don't think the damage can be rectified. Frown
October 02, 2012, 04:03 AM
AUST
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
quote:
Originally posted by AUST:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
Have you got a few more sketches to post Kevin, or were you particularly unlucky?

Did you get any extra Linda Thorson or Honor Blackman autos to compensate for the lack of a Diana Rigg?/QUOTE]
I got five other sketches but four of them were spoiled courtesy of what may have been paint/ink or some other substance on a roller in the packing process. The fifth is one I just forgot to include by Tony Miello. Two of the spoiled cards were otherwise really nice sketches. Jason has said he will sort things out with them.

I didn't get any extra Linda Thorson or Honor Blackman autos. Just one of each. No sketch autos either.

I have also noticed the roller damage to the sketch cards caused by the sorting machines !

I have pulled some from packs with this damage and many cards listed on Ebay have this damage
along with completed listings...i think alot of collectors are going to be dissapointed with this.

What sort of damage is it exactly?I did not notice anything on the sketches I pulled but I am not the most observant person Roll Eyes .

It's a set of parallel lines running across the sketch cards. Sometimes they are black or coloured depending what was on the sorting machines rollers.

If you look closely at some of the sketch cards posted in this thread, they are quite visable.
October 03, 2012, 09:56 PM
Bacall1
Has anyone from the U.S. received their boxes yet? I am trying to figure out a general arrival time and through which courier they will arrive. I am excited to bust my 6 boxes. I already picked up the Macnee and a Diana Rigg autograph along with a Seeber incentive sketch. I don't think I will be lucky enough to pull a Diana Rigg and if I do I certainly wouldn't mind having 2.
October 04, 2012, 03:21 AM
Arvin Sloane
My five boxes arrived today. Unstoppable has some quality control issues as has been mentioned above by several other posters. Two of my boxes only came with one sketch card, fortunately two had three sketches so things worked out fine, but it would appear that those who bought only one box might not be so lucky. While these boxes are pricey, they come loaded with five hits. This is the perfect product for someone who buys a box or two at most, they'll certainly get their money's worth.
The base cards are solid, though I'm not wild about the pastel swirl design on the front. The images are very good and the backs are exceptional. A very nice write-up about the episodes listed on the card and huge, clear numbers to aid in sorting.
The inserts I received weren't anything special and could easily pass for base cards. The Autograph cards are well done as are the Sketch cards. Here are my pulls:

Box #1 Sketch by Boo

Box #2 A stunning M. Jason Reed, an awesome Bianca Thompson, and a Joseph Miller

Box #3 A truly fantastic Wu Wei and an exceptional Stu Laverick

Box #4 Dan Gorman

Box #5 Linda Thorson Autograph Big Grin, a nice Joshua Werner, an excellent Jason Shoemaker, and a beautiful copper color masterpiece by an unknown artist.
October 04, 2012, 05:58 AM
Jason Wright
The unknown artist above is Patrick Hamill
October 04, 2012, 07:32 AM
Jason Wright
Pleased to hear that one of the Hendry redemptions has been pulled, contrary to what the website says both cards went in boxes so there is another one out there somewhere.

We are dealing with the collation issues and roller marks to ensure the printers can get it right for us on the next product
October 04, 2012, 10:57 AM
Arvin Sloane
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Wright:

Thanks for the info Jason. I apologize to Patrick for the scan, because it just doesn't do justice to his work.
It appears he used some type of metallic paint to do this card and it comes off as one of those old metal pieces of art they did in the 19th century. A really nice card.

The Wu Wei is another card the scan just doesn't convey how much work went into produced it and the extreme quality of the card. The background behind Tara is a textured gold. The outline of Tara's clothing is a thick gold band, which makes the card really pop in person.
Thanks for making this great set for a show I loved as a kid.
October 04, 2012, 03:02 PM
John Tirohn
Nice sketches and autographs. May look into a couple of boxes for myself.
October 04, 2012, 11:27 PM
glim
My single box was delivered today to the US. Included with the box were 2 promos for the 50th set. Below are scans of my hits.

Unfortunately, I only got two autographs and both my sketches have roller marks on them. They both were great sketches, as you can see, so it was disappointing to have them damaged like this. I am not sure, but it looks like the rollers actually erased part of the pendicini sketch.

October 05, 2012, 07:57 AM
simpsonscardman
quote:
Originally posted by glim:
My single box was delivered today to the US. Included with the box were 2 promos for the 50th set. Below are scans of my hits.

Unfortunately, I only got two autographs and both my sketches have roller marks on them. They both were great sketches, as you can see, so it was disappointing to have them damaged like this. I am not sure, but it looks like the rollers actually erased part of the pendicini sketch.

I really like these and like the company that make them but its a shame that these have been damaged by the company that make them.because this is such an expensive product maybe they should of but this together by hand???and not used rollers??i would be gutted if i pulled sketches that are damaged.

Maybe you could get in touch with Jason and he can help the collectors who have been let down??
October 05, 2012, 11:41 AM
Bacall1
Well, I finally got my 4 boxes today and when I opened the packaging I was thrilled to receive a few extras that included a case topper set. I thought that today had to be my lucky day and was so excited to rip into the boxes. That happy feeling did not last long. I really appreciate Barrie for throwing in the extras and going the extra mile to make it a pleasant experience, but the collation really left a lot to be desired. I have had a lot of bad luck in opening boxes and said I wouldn't open more but just couldn't help myself. Sad thing is that I still have 2 more boxes coming from ebay. Here are the results of my box break:
Box 0046
William Gaunt auto
William Gaunt auto

Box 0047
Burt Kwouk auto
Julian Glover auto
Fenella Fieding auto
sketch by Jason Donden
sketch by L Lightfoot

Box 0048
Julian Glover auto
Fenella Fielding auto

Box 0049
Bernard Cribbins auto
Anneke Willis auto
Burt Kwouk auto
sketch by Paul Williams
sketch by M. Jason Reed

2 of my 4 boxes didn't even have a sketch card and both of those only had 2 hits total. I knew the odds of hitting one of the major cast players was low but still had some hopes. I had already bought the Macnee since I knew it couldn't be pulled from the boxes and bought the Rigg because I knew there was no way I would pull it, but to only have 6 different autographs after 4 boxes is just baffling. I really do appreciate the effort that goes into making these cards and Barrie has always treated me with kindness up to an including this order that included the extras and a friendly thank you note. These acts of kindness do not go unnoticed and that is a reason I will continue to buy from him no matter what. I am just a little disappointed today but it will hopefully all be a distant memory tomorrow. Unless the other 2 boxes come in and lead to the same disappointing results as the last 4. I will say that the Reed sketch and the Lightfoot sketch are both very well done and I like the Williams sketch very much as well. Heres hoping for better luck next time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bacall1,
October 05, 2012, 01:15 PM
John Tirohn
Was there a binder offered with this seT
October 05, 2012, 02:53 PM
Jason Wright
We are very disappointed with the collation issues and whilst many were lucky to get 6 hits in a box it is very disappointing when you don't get certain cards in your box. I am also a collector so yes I know how it feels. We shall be rectifying these issues with the printers before we print Blake 7.

As people are asking we are hoping to produce a binder with an exclusive bonus card. More details soon

Bacall: please email me direct, my personal email is on my profile and we will sort this out for you.

Jason
October 05, 2012, 03:54 PM
Patdata
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Wright:

Thanks for the info Jason. I apologize to Patrick for the scan, because it just doesn't do justice to his work.
It appears he used some type of metallic paint to do this card and it comes off as one of those old metal pieces of art they did in the 19th century. A really nice card.

Thanks for making this great set for a show I loved as a kid.

Thanks for the kind words. I used metallic Acrylics on that card.I thought it suited the autumnal scene and the 60s subject. I signed the back of all my cards, though I was a little worried that the signature might rub off the high gloss finish.

October 05, 2012, 04:10 PM
Bacall1
Message sent vial email Jason. Thanks so much. I'm sure you will get the collation issues resolved in the very near future.
October 05, 2012, 04:12 PM
Chrisahend
quote:
Originally posted by Patdata:
I signed the back of all my cards, though I was a little worried that the signature might rub off the high gloss finish.

The best marker I've found for signing the back of cards is the Staedtler Lumocolor Permanent Markers. They can still be rubbed off with great effort but they are much more permanent than Sharpies and other permanent markers.
October 05, 2012, 04:46 PM
Kevin F
quote:
Originally posted by Bacall1:
Message sent vial email Jason. Thanks so much. I'm sure you will get the collation issues resolved in the very near future.
I'm sure Jason will see you right. I've already been in touch with him over the problems with my sketch cards and I'm now a happy bunny again Smile
October 05, 2012, 09:29 PM
Patdata
quote:
Originally posted by Chrisahend:
quote:
Originally posted by Patdata:
I signed the back of all my cards, though I was a little worried that the signature might rub off the high gloss finish.

The best marker I've found for signing the back of cards is the Staedtler Lumocolor Permanent Markers. They can still be rubbed off with great effort but they are much more permanent than Sharpies and other permanent markers.

Thanks! Must look out for one of those. Sharpies didnt work very well, so I was using a Staedtler fineliner.