Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Mars Attacks Heritage (Topps 2012)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mars Attacks Heritage (Topps 2012)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted
My three cases arrived and here are the sketches from the first case.

Top Left to Right
???, Dave "Pops" Tata, Neil Camera
Middle Left to Right
Wilson Ramos Jr., Jeremy R. Scott?, Jason Hughes?
Bottom Left to Right
???, Lee Bradley?
The base set looks just as great now as it did back in 1962. The parallel cards have very distinctive colored borders and are easy to ID. The 3D cards are awesome, Topps did a very nice job on these. The deleted scenes are excellent. Not very pleased with the new black bordered cards. Packaging is very solid. Nice thin box, a poster in every box, and poly wrapped packs.

Overall I'm disappointed with this product. This is Topps greatest nonsport release of all time and the wow factor just isn't there. Waaay to many sketches of Martain heads in bowls for my taste. I'll be interested to see some more breaks during the next few days to see if this is all we can look forward too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

1 or 2 gold cards ? also artist of the 3rd and 7th card?

Posts: 21 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

Got my box today - kind of a surpise, I had heard these were due July 18.

Got 1 complete base set 55 original cards, 10 deleted scenes, and 15 New Universe

Extras: 27 originals, 14 deletd scenes (including another full set of 10) and 9 New Universe

Parallels: 8 green, 1 silver, 1 gold

3 of 5 3 Dimension Lenticular

6 Mars Attacks Merchandise Catalogs

1 Mars Attacks poster

1 Sketch B & W flying saucer with red splotches , signed on back but cn't mke it out.

Nice looking set, very retro and hope to pick up some more.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

quote:
Originally posted by viperdays:
1 or 2 gold cards ? also artist of the 3rd and 7th card?

Sorry, had all pertinent info posted on my original post, but I guess my opinion offended someone.
Third card, Bug Eyes is by Neil Camera. Taj Mahal is signed but unreadable. I'll post a scan later tonight when I get home from work.
As for your question on the Golds,I've just went through 3 of the boxes I busted and the 1st had 8 greens, the 2nd had 8 greens, and the 3rd had 8 greens and 1 silver. I do recall seeing some gold, but it isn't one per box.

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

thanks

Posts: 21 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arvin Sloane:
Sorry, had all pertinent info posted on my original post, but I guess my opinion offended someone.

You didn't offend anyone. You simply had two threads going.

I have deleted the other thread (which was the second and had an abbreviated version of your original post) and moved all the subsequent discussion and Don's breakdown to this one.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

quote:
Actually, your origianl post is still there:

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....6073384/m/2457031226

It can take a little while for new threads to be placed in the 'sticky' part of the Box Breakdowns area. If you check the 'Recently Posted Box Breakdowns' list, both of your posts/threads are alive and well Smile

http://www.nonsportupdate.com/...d_box_breakdowns.htm

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Actually, your origianl post is still there:

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....6073384/m/2457031226

It can take a little while for new threads to be placed in the 'sticky' part of the Box Breakdowns area. If you check the 'Recently Posted Box Breakdowns' list, both of your posts/threads are alive and well Smile

http://www.nonsportupdate.com/...d_box_breakdowns.htm

Yes, as Kevin says, both topics were both there but as I said above, I have now combined them and deleted the duplicate. Kevin's first link now points to this same thread since it was moved to this thread.

Wow, this is getting confusing! Red Face

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I think it's time for you to take a walk Harris, LOL! Big Grin Actually, me too! Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Here is my haul from one 8 box case:

A bunch of base and extended sets.

Green Parallel: 1 complete set plus extras 3,8,10,15,26,29,34,48,53
3D Lenticulars: 4 complete sets, missing #4 for a 5th set
Silver Parallel: 3,10,26,31,34,40,43,54
Gold Parallel: 24, 33

Sketches

Sugar Fueled and Robert Terranishi

Ashleigh Popplewell and Stephon Taylor

Neil Camera and Denise Vasquez

Jeremy Scott and Brian Miller (I would assume part of a 3 panel puzzle knowing him)

and this

Len Brown autograph 10/10

A word to the wise, check your base cards carefully as the Len Brown auto is not marked on the reverse at all and can be quite easy to miss.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
As promised here is the signature for the Taj Mahal card.

As you can see in the next set of cards from my 2nd case I pulled another Taj, this one has more damage to the dome and the saucers are further across the card.

Artists are as follows:
???,another Dave "Pops" Tata soldier, Neil Camera
???, ???, Chris Foreman
???, Ian Yashiro, Scott Zambelli
Here's the 3rd and final case.

???, ???, Davis
Wilson Ramos Jr., ???, Lee Bradley
Jacob Chabot, Jason Hughes
Again this set is titled Mars Attacks, but a better name would have been Martain Busts. Hardly any mayhem and gore sketches and way too many heads in fishbowls. It appears the vast majority of artists took the easy way out on this set. It makes you wonder about the upcoming Galactic Files set.
Sorry, but I really feel Topps dropped the ball on this one. This should be their premier release as, Mars Attacks is such an iconic set. Martian Commander, if you're reading this your saucer is going down in flames.

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

The artist is Robert Teranishi.

Nice pulls!

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

As you can see in the next set of cards from my 2nd case I pulled another Taj, this one has more damage to the dome and the saucers are further across the card.

Artists are as follows:
???, ???, Chris Foreman

???, ???, Davis
Again this set is titled Mars Attacks, but a better name would have been Martain Busts. Hardly any mayhem and gore sketches and way too many heads in fishbowls. It appears the vast majority of artists took the easy way out on this set. It makes you wonder about the upcoming Galactic Files set.
Sorry, but I really feel Topps dropped the ball on this one. This should be their premier release as, Mars Attacks is such an iconic set. Martian Commander, if you're reading this your saucer is going down in flames.

I don't know about that-- let's wait and see Wink

Out of the 17 you pulled, I see 9 Martian heads-- several scenes of destruction, saucers and even a big bug.

Having seen a good portion of the sketches before they were packed, I think there was a very good mix of subjects and color vs. b&w. Obviously a lot of people are going to draw Martians, but I saw plenty of bugs and robots and gore.

Posts: 165 | Location: Mars | Registered: April 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope i dont get any sketchs like the top left
of the last posting of sketchs .i cant believe it passed quality control to get in to a set.
others may think its allright but i personally think its a insult to the work others have put in to there sketch`s

Posts: 312 | Location: united kingdom | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vampy:
I hope i dont get any sketchs like the top left
of the last posting of sketchs .i cant believe it passed quality control to get in to a set.
others may think its allright but i personally think its a insult to the work others have put in to there sketch`s

That sketch came in a box along with another sketch so I can't complain, but I do agree, it's amazing it made it into the product at all. I thought the days of Waterhouse were behind us.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martian Commander:
quote:

Artists are as follows:
???, ???, Chris Foreman

???, ???, Davis

I don't know about that-- let's wait and see Wink

Out of the 17 you pulled, I see 9 Martian heads-- several scenes of destruction, saucers and even a big bug.

Having seen a good portion of the sketches before they were packed, I think there was a very good mix of subjects and color vs. b&w. Obviously a lot of people are going to draw Martians, but I saw plenty of bugs and robots and gore.

Actually I've got 3 cases worth of pulls, the smoke from your burning console must have clouded your vision. Big Grin And way to many head shots.

posted Hide Post
it looks like yoda had his *** kicked by a martian ?

Posts: 312 | Location: united kingdom | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
Wow. And I thought MY sketch card was bad!

Shum is STILL doing sketch cards???? I thought the industry booted this guy after the abysmal "doodles" he did for LOTR & Indiana Jones.

Got two boxes. Second box was missing the sketch and one of my lenticular cards had severe roll marks that actually made long dents on the lens of the card.

Just like Shum doing a repeat-a-sketch, Topps just keeps repeating their formula (Garbage Pail Kids, Wacky Packages & even Star Wars) by releasing the same-old-same-old with just a new face.

Paralel cards --> done before
Lenticular ----> done before
Poor quality sketches ---> done before

In my opinion, our hobby is seriously lacking innovation. This is a 50 year anniversary product, and THIS is the best we get?

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
With the sample sketches I'd seen prior to release I was hoping we would avoid poor quality were are seeing in some sketches.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I opened my first box today and here is what was included.

1 complete base set 55 original cards, all 10 deleted scenes, and all 15 New Universe cards.

Extras: 29 original cards, 14 deleted scenes (including a second full set) and 9 New Universe cards

Parallels: 8 green, 0 silver, 0 gold

3 of 5 3D Lenticular (3, 4, and 5)

6 Mars Attacks Merchandise Catalogs

1 Mars Attacks poster

1 Rich Woodall Sketch B & W

Overall, I was very happy with the cards! I will be purchasing more boxes as I am really looking forward to the silver and gold cards, maybe an autograph card and a printing plate! Thank you Topps! The 50 year wait is finally over!

Posts: 29 | Location: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: December 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post