Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
James Bond: Villains and Henchmen (Upper Deck, 2021)

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4026073384/m/2167080796

September 25, 2021, 03:16 PM
Don Norton
James Bond: Villains and Henchmen (Upper Deck, 2021)
Well, it was quite a wait for this one. But my long anticipated box arrived this morning just as I was leaving to run some errands, so I had to wait another 90 minutes...
18 packs, 5 cards per pack, so no chance for a full set.
Base cards are nice, white border with a portrait photo, silver foil trim. Got 59 out of 100, no duplicates.
2 Clear Red Parallels
9 Allies and Colleagues (not sure how many inserts are in each subset, highest number I have is 22)
3 Master Plan
4 As Quoted (my favorite insert set, well known quotes from the villains)
2 The Upper Hand
2 Crystal Clear (thick plexi card, I got Christopher Lee and Maud Adams)
1 Bonded Materials (Ralph Fiennes shirt from Spectre)
1 Autograph SS-WN Wayne Newton as Professor Joe Butcher

Thoughts about this set: While not a bargain, these are nice cards. The base cards are nicer than the inserts. Was happy with Wayne Newton auto, and the relic card is well done. It is getting harder and harder to put together a base set from a box, I hope to get one more box down the road. Thanks to Ed Webb for this one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Don Norton,
September 25, 2021, 04:00 PM
Raven
After I saw your post I looked for a checklist to see if that was the typical "hits" in a box. It is, one autograph and one relic/materials.

You did well to pull the Wayne Newton, but the prior cheaper UD Bond had no relics and two autograph cards. I even pulled three out of one box. I'm glad I didn't order this in the radio silence period. I wouldn't have been satisfied with only one chance at a signature after UD's first Bond product that I thought was pretty good.
September 28, 2021, 01:06 AM
mykdude
Looking at what is hitting ebay I'm not seeing anything very exciting so far.

As Don stated, what I see from the set there is a mix of like and dislike. I still have not found a checklist are they doing the E-Pack thing again?

September 28, 2021, 09:14 AM
wolfie
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

are they doing the E-Pack thing again?

I think you can bet your house on it. Roll Eyes

September 28, 2021, 12:32 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

are they doing the E-Pack thing again?

I think you can bet your house on it. Roll Eyes

Yeah, whether UD meant to do it or not, ePacks has flipped its distribution model on its head. ePacks were a back up for the traditional release to get rid of leftovers. Now it seems like more buyers are waiting for the ePack release than the box/case date. That's at least if you believe those posts from seller/flipper types and many box buying card collectors are wary of what's being held back for ePacks. I know I am.

That's why UD can get away with excessive product delays and not caring if the checklist gets out before release or not. It doesn't need to cater to traditional product buyers when everything will move in ePacks. So far anyway.
October 06, 2021, 12:12 PM
Will
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
After I saw your post I looked for a checklist to see if that was the typical "hits" in a box. It is, one autograph and one relic/materials.

Raven, where did you find a checklist? I would like to know what autograph and other high-end chase cards are available.
October 06, 2021, 12:46 PM
Raven
https://www.beckett.com/news/2...chmen-trading-cards/

Will, when I originally posted I was looking only to see how many autograph cards were in a box and it is one only. They didn't have a checklist out.

However I just checked and you can find it in a Beckett article. I tried to copy the link on top, but I'm not sure if it will work, since I won't know until I end it. If the link is no good, you can probably find it yourself, but it seems as though they kept the 2020 year in the title line. Hope that helps.

Hey. it works. Clap
October 06, 2021, 05:52 PM
Raven
This autograph checklist looks pretty much like a carbon copy of the first UD Bond set, but the dual signatures are new (a few are really nice), the signed relic of Waltz is new, and of course its nice to have more of some stars.

Duals are limited with 49 copies being tops. A, B, and C levels are long odds.

I still like the cards, as I did last time. I do not like that the autos went from 2 to 1 on the box guarantee and the extra material card is not a substitute I need. I also don't like that ePacks are lurking and I know UD has to divide up the hits. They say the odds hold the same.

I wish the box price had held since we have nothing besides the duals to account for it and an auto has been replaced. Oh well, it is what it is.
October 06, 2021, 10:38 PM
Greg Geerts
Opened 2 boxes tonight and am pretty happy with what I got...

Box #1
60 of 100 base cards
2 Clear Red Parallels
9 Allies and Colleagues
3 Master Plan
4 As Quoted
2 The Upper Hand
1 Crystal Clear
1 Acetate Movie Poster (The Living Daylights)
1 Bonded Materials (Ben Whishaw shirt as Q in Spectre)
2 Autographs: SS-GF Glenn Foster as Craig Mitchell in Qunatum of Solace
SS-LHJ Lynn-Holly Johnson as Bibi Dahl in For Your Eyes Only

Box #2
61 of 100 base cards
1 Clear Red Parallel
1 Clear Blue Parallel
9 Allies and Colleagues
2 Master Plan
5 As Quoted
2 The Upper Hand
1 Crystal Clear
1 Acetate Movie Poster (Thunderball)
1 Bonded Materials (Ben Whishaw trousers as Q in Spectre)
1 Autograph: SS-JC Joaquin Cosio as Gen. Medrano in Quantum of Solace

After sorting the base cards I managed to get the complete set of 100
All in all a nice set...I like the base card design better than the last Bond set

October 11, 2021, 03:08 PM
Don Norton
Nice beating the odds on autos Greg! Also good you finished off your base set.
October 12, 2021, 01:25 PM
Will
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
https://www.beckett.com/news/2...chmen-trading-cards/

Will, when I originally posted I was looking only to see how many autograph cards were in a box and it is one only. They didn't have a checklist out.

However I just checked and you can find it in a Beckett article. I tried to copy the link on top, but I'm not sure if it will work, since I won't know until I end it. If the link is no good, you can probably find it yourself, but it seems as though they kept the 2020 year in the title line. Hope that helps.

Hey. it works. Clap

Thanks for the info. Thumb Up