Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Marilyn Monroe Shaw Family Archive Update Set (Breygent)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marilyn Monroe Shaw Family Archive Update Set (Breygent)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
I bought one box and received the 30 card set, 6 chase cards and this:

Marilyn Monroe stocking card

Posts: 649 | Location: California | Registered: November 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Very nice, this is a set i really want. Smile

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Another beauty from Breygent to be sure.
I have box number #2 (of the 900 total), but I'm not sure I'm going to open it.
Could be a good "open that box" day candidate...

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

I'm sorry, I just can't understand why anyone who collects card would buy a box and then not open it. I know many collectors like to do this but then you've got to consider why you're keeping it, to speculate on it's future value?

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
How are you supposed to collect the chase set? Eek

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Jas:
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

I'm sorry, I just can't understand why anyone who collects card would buy a box and then not open it. I know many collectors like to do this but then you've got to consider why you're keeping it, to speculate on it's future value?

I can understand some other reasons besides value...

1) The boxes look nice when they're sealed. Big Grin

2) Some collectors are true completists and an unopened box is part of their "master" set.

chesspieceface that's a great box to save for "Open That Box" day! Thumb Up Do it! Do it! Do it! Dance

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dalekfan
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hello my good friend!

You know that I keep at least 1 unopened box from each Who set: I do that as I consider it as part of my Master set. It's future value is no more a consideration than anything else in my collection. Wave

Posts: 449 | Location: West Yorkshire | Registered: November 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
I know why you keep a sealed box Mr Dalekfan sir and I've told you a number of times that you've just got to open it mate!!! It may look great in your impressive collection though Thumb Up
I think Manufacturers should produce a few empty but sealed boxes for collectors who just want a sealed box for their collection!!! Big Grin

Thing is we're all different but the big kid in me says "rip 'em open" everytime one of those lovely boxes arrives at my door.

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Heh,
I've probably bought a half a dozen boxes of Simpsons 1993 Skybox Series 1 for my "master" collection, but have never been able to leave one sealed, because every single time I am powerless to pass up a chance, however minute, to pull a "Lucky Day" card. That is a one per every millionth pack (ok, a slight exaggeration) redemption card, that to Simpson collectors, is today only slightly less desired than the hand drawn Matt Groening sketch card it could have been exchanged for 15 years ago.

As for Marilyn Update, it's really more of a factory set/ single pack of cards hybrid, than a traditional box of cards.

I know for sure what 33 cards in the pack/set will be, and also know I will have only 6 of the 32 card chase set, which brings to mind the phrase "a taste of honey is worse none at all", what having only about 20% of the second set.

So the real question is, what is the final card to be found, the guaranteed "hit", as it were?

Will I get that neat lipstick card? Maybe a piece of her stocking? Howzabout a piece of her fur coat? (ugh, says this PETA member to this card, but I realize the 50's were a much different time so I certainly don't hold Marilyn's wearing of fur in those days against her, but I have no doubt she wouldn't wear it if she were alive today, having the compassionate soul we've since learned she possessed).

And if not one of those, then maybe, just maybe I've got one of those "super-chaser" authentic hair, or cut handwriting or signature cards.

Well, based on my futile attempts to find a "Lucky Day" cards in Simpsons boxes I bought for the purpose of leaving sealed, I'm pretty sure that on my box of Marilyn Update, time will surely tell... Roll Eyes

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
You could open it at the strike of midnight as the very first box you open in 2009... Big Grin

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think Manufacturers should produce a few empty but sealed boxes for collectors who just want a sealed box for their collection!!! Big Grin

It's easy to make Topps boxes look like new now that they include that brick of styrofoam to make their boxes look fuller than they actually are. Razz A few of those in a box and voila... it looks nice and sturdy!