Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom Trading Cards (Bulls-i-Toys, 2018)

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4026073384/m/1677045096

July 14, 2018, 04:43 PM
aeolus14ummbra
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom Trading Cards (Bulls-i-Toys, 2018)
OK, I bought a 24 count box of these last week and finally got around to cracking it open earlier today. While the 39 card base set could have benefited from a little more "pizzazz" in the graphic design/photo selection areas, the insert cards are gorgeous!

The 7 card packs contain a mix of base and inserts in every pack, but the collation is simply TERRIBLE! Pack after pack had the same cards; both base cards and inserts. I can't tell you the last time I was so frustrated with opening a box (Topps comes to mind, but I digress)

This could have a been a huge winner with kids: it's based on dinosaurs (as well as a popular movie), it has great artwork, cool inserts such as glow in the dark/heat 'n reveal/lenticular 3-D, a very cheap pack price of $1.99 per pack, a reasonable (and obtainable) number of cards to collect, it's available at the big-box retailers, and each pack contains a mix of base cards and insert cards.

How can a manufacturer screw this up you ask? Well, how about having the first 5 packs that I opened yield the same 3 base and 4 insert cards in each pack; that's how you can screw it up!

Here's my box breakdown:

Film Base Set - missing 5 cards (of 39)
Dino Card Insert Set - missing 3 cards (of 15)
Heat 'N Reveal Insert Set - missing 3 cards (of 9)
Glow in the Dark Insert Set - missing 2 cards (of 9)
3D Action Card Insert Set - missing 3 cards (of 9)

I pulled the expected 1 Costume Card #C7 of 7 (Toby Jones as Gunnar Eversol) odds = 1:24 Packs

The remaining 103 base and insert cards from the box are duplicates; with as many as 10 duplicate cards left over in some cases!

This easily could have been an A+ product, but I can't give it anything higher than a D+ because of the collation problems.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,
July 14, 2018, 05:18 PM
Raven
Perhaps they were thinking small and that these would be most likely single pack purchases, so box collation doesn't matter.

I have noticed that when toy companies get into card licenses they almost do it as a sideline, not part of the real business. Think NECA.

They make the effort to put out a decent product, but then don't know or don't care enough about it to sell it to true card collectors. Frown
July 14, 2018, 06:57 PM
aeolus14ummbra
Agreed, but I bought a gravity feed box, so some kid (or anyone for that matter) buying individual packs would still, more than likely, have gotten several packs that contained the same 7 cards in each pack. If that doesn't turn someone off from buying individual packs, I don't know what would?

Funny that you mentioned NECA; especially their Hunger Games product as that's exactly what the base cards look like (and remind me of).