Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Game of Thrones Season 8 (Rittenhouse Archives, 2020)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Season 8 (Rittenhouse Archives, 2020)
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted
Two boxes arrived today, the doorbell rang and when I answered, the postman was at end of the drive shouting "I'll sign for you" - oh the joys of Coronovirus.

Overall another disappointing selection of Auto's

Ian Beattie as Meryn Trant
Faye Marsay as The Waif "WHO ARE You?! Inscription
Andy Kellegher as Polliver
Burn Gorman as Karl Tanner "Seven Silvers" Inscription

Gold base #51 (87/175)

BD69 & 70

Q 75,76,77,78

DL 54, 60 & 62 (Gold 111/125)

Metal "For the Throne" F9.

Normal Selection of base parallel.

Two base sets and 2 cards short of a 3rd.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

Just be glad you didn't buy a case - I was mug enough and my to EL autographs were Tim Plester Valyrian Steel and Nicholas Blane Gold.

Despite being my 6th case of the series still not got a sketch card either even though statistically I should have got 3 by now.

Inscriptions were awful; 2 with the GOT text and 2 more with the character name. Rest of the autographs were dross really.

Only decent pulls were Daenerys cards - For the Throne metal and Relic.

Can't believe I went back to cases after dumping them after season 5; I just thought that there were enough high end cards to make this one worthwhile. Funny how even with that how many of the money spinners still land with the dealers.

Posts: 29 | Location: scotland | Registered: May 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I love GOT, but I quit collecting the cards way back in season three and a half because of the same reasons, too little for too much of my money.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have my eye out for a you know nothing john snow auto but I expect it to be a big price tag

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wuher:
I have my eye out for a you know nothing john snow auto but I expect it to be a big price tag

Check out the sold listings on ebay for "Rose Leslie auto". At least 3 with that inscription sold, some on BO and I kid you not, one went for only $75.

Not sure those would have been good buys for you as an international buyer, but it shows that not everyone knows an important inscription when they have it. A Sean Bean auto with a little man-thingy sketch also got pulled. Those should go for a good price too.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
From my two boxes the Autograph Cards were:
Paul Rattray as Harald Karstark FB
Staz Nair as Qhono Inscription "I serve my Queen"
Richard Dormer as Beric Dondarrion FB
Ian Hanmore as Pyat Pree Inscription "Your dragons await you"

I was happy with the Dormer, and it was OK to get a new signer Rattray. But truly, my boxes were only saved by pulling a Relic VR16 Cersei. A nice fuzzy red velvet swatch. Smile

I was able to make 3 base sets, had the usual inserts but also one Acetate "T3 Jon Snow"...even though the checklist has Jon Snow as T11.
The acetate cards are OK, but nothing really exciting and I wouldn't bother tracking any others down. Still not as good as those box card thingies from the S1 set.

What I don't quite understand(probably because I was never interested in Maths Big Grin ) is there are 8000 boxes, that's less than some season's sets yet the filler low grade stuff is ridiculous. With only a 60-card base set surely there was an opportunity to put at least more Quotable cards in a box...so many packs with just base cards and not even foil parallels.
I know card companies don't set the sale prices once opened and sold on the secondary market, blah blah, but it's pretty obvious that an EL Blane is not worth anywhere near an EL Headey or Turner and shouldn't be seen as a big hit for a case.
I really don't understand how some of the one-liner/minor actors have EL cards, nor just how many have Inscription cards.
Once the checklist became clear I was so relieved I didn't buy a case. I don't have the energy nor health currently to sort out sets to sell on, so that was part of the reason, but also how poor value cases have been for the past few seasons.

Oh well, there aren't many people who can say "Cersei saved me." Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Got my box today - here's what was inside:
1 base set 60 cards, 45 extras
8 Foil Parallel, 1 Gold Parallel
2 Quoteables
1 Relationships
1 Acetate card, Cersei
2 autographs
1 Valarian Steel style Hannah Waddingham as Septa Unella (Limited)
1 Inscription Auto Sibel Kekilli "Shae" (Scarce)

Thoughts: I was pleased with the autos, both memorable characters. I was disappointed with chase, there could have been more inserts in each box,another Quoteable, another Relationships and a Beautiful Death for sure. Why make these so hard to get? I never cared much for the foil parallels, the gold ones are very nice, however. I will try to complete the Quoteables, my favorite insert set, but doubt I will chase after many of the other inserts.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Got my box today - here's what was inside:
1 base set 60 cards, 45 extras
8 Foil Parallel, 1 Gold Parallel
2 Quoteables
1 Relationships
1 Acetate card, Cersei
2 autographs
1 Valarian Steel style Hannah Waddingham as Septa Unella (Limited)
1 Inscription Auto Sibel Kekilli "Shae" (Scarce)

Thoughts: I was pleased with the autos, both memorable characters. I was disappointed with chase, there could have been more inserts in each box,another Quoteable, another Relationships and a Beautiful Death for sure. Why make these so hard to get? I never cared much for the foil parallels, the gold ones are very nice, however. I will try to complete the Quoteables, my favorite insert set, but doubt I will chase after many of the other inserts.

Don, I do agree with the chase set comment - Why does RA make the chase so difficult? The Relationships at 1 a box is silly

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
I purchased one box. It was numbered 1790 of 8000.

1 base set & 42 towards a second base set
8 foil parallel cards
1 gold foil parallel card, #44 numbered 035/175
2 Quotable, Q73 and Q79
1 Relationships, DL62
1 Map Marker, MM8 House Bolton
1 Relic card, VR16 Cersei Lannister's Dress
1 dual autograph, Tom Wlaschina & Faye Marsay
1 inscription autograph, Will Tudor with "Oberyn - my first prince!"

I was surprised to pull a relic and map marker card from the same box. They helped make that box a good one.

I agree with the previous comments made regarding the chase cards. It would have been nice to have at least one more each of the Quotable and Relationships sets given the smaller base set.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Here's two boxes, albeit very expensive ones:

Also included a 60 card foil base set, all the regular pack issued insert sets, the two promos, the 4 card case topper set, and a printing plate set for a Quotable card featuring Jon Snow.

I started my collection with Archive boxes of Season 1 and 2, and then only dabbled in single boxes up til now, picking up autograph singles with the goal being to get one from every signer. Still have a few more to go, but this keeps my completion percentage way up there.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well that's the way to do it if you can. Thumb Up

Still say the Full Bleeds are the best design and the duals look good too. I never liked the gold signatures, the cards just look dead. Same thing with the design chosen for the relics. All the material is super dark reds or blacks and the cards are all black. Even the inscriptions are a brown border, but at least a few of the photos are bright daylight.

A little too late to complain about it now, but most of these cards have been no fun to look at, in the spirit of the series I guess. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Hey, I saw all those guys on TV!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I'd started out with the idea of getting all bordered signatures since I much preferred that design to the full bleed. Then they started with the blue bordered, Valyrian, and Gold Ink versions and I think it turned out plenty of the signers never had even one bordered card. Indeed, from the 92 shown above, I ended up adding exactly ONE card to my bordered collection. Mad

I'll be getting rid of most of the signers I already had (save the Bella Ramsey dual) and a couple of the inscriptions from characters I really liked.

Finally, I agree with Raven generally on the ho-humity of the largely all black gold ink cards, but the one of The Mountain looks fantastic given the dark nature of the character, so that one's a definite keeper.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I personally don't have any trouble with any of the autograph card designs, but I bailed out in the middle of Season Three because it just became too expensive to do a master set.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Finally I was able to pick up my GoT Season 8 cards yesterday after having them stuck in my LHS since the lock down back in March. Can't tell you how stupid-great it is to open a box.

So this is a first for me. I have 3 boxes in order #251, #252 and #253. I never do that, always skip around as much as is available in the box ranges. However that's what's they had for me. So this may go great or terrible.

I have opened 1 box, #251, so far. Will post the other 2 later since I'm going slow. I hope I haven't peaked early. Big Grin

1 60 card base set & 45 more doubles
8 Foil parallel cards
1 Gold Foil of #51 numbered 63/175
2 Quotables, Q73 & Q79
1 Relationship, DL61
1 Map Marker DM8 Unsullied
1 Inscription, Kristian Nairn "Wyl'e is my real name"
1 Dual, Iain Glen & Bell Ramsey

Quite happy with the autos. The Mormonts were 2 of my favorite characters and I would have been looking to pick it up myself. Nairn is relatively short. The inscription reads as Wyl'e, but RA says Whylis.

So its a good start for me. The base cards look similar to the whole series. At only 60 cards, there are too many doubles and the inserts and parallels should be increased, but that won't happen. The Map Marker looks OK. The text is fairly well done as usual. Will follow up when I can.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Box #252

1 60 card base set & 45 more doubles
8 Foil parallel cards
1 Gold Foil of #16 numbered 53/175
2 Quotables, Q71 & Q74
1 Relationship, DL51 Jon & Dany
1 Acetate, T15 Melisandre
1 Inscription, Sean Bean "Love"
1 Full Bleed, Dan Hildebrand

Another good box and happy with hits. Hildebrang is a new signer I need in the style I prefer. Sean Bean is another autograph I would have looked for myself, but this inscription of simply "Love" is not listed on the RA checklist. Beneath his signature is a line that could be a 1. Its too neat to be just a stray mark and looks intentional. So make of it what you will, but its almost a decent signature from him. Smile Good to pull an Acetate in this one and a Marker in the other.

Will finish last box tonight.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Last one, Box #253

1 60 card base set & 44 more doubles
8 Foil parallel cards
1 Gold Foil of #27 numbered 16/175
2 Quotables, Q76 & Q78
1 Relationship, DL68
1 Beautiful death, BD73
1 Inscription, Burn Gorman "Nights Watch"
1 Dual, Rory McCann & Hafpor Julios Bjornsson
1 Louise Draper sketch, Sceanic - Red banners and tents of the Lannisters.

I doubt these results are typical, but the breaks from 3 consecutive low numbered boxes is very interesting. Two dual autographs a box apart and a sketch in the same box as a dual. Each box had a different insert. And a Bean, who is a big signer to me. So much for not wanting consecutive boxes. All the doubles made only one other complete base set.

Anyway I'm quite happy after such a long wait. None of these were average, so I can't complain about my luck for awhile. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
3 great boxes, worth the wait

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
Raven, you killed it with those boxes.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

This is off topic, but when you get a case where the boxes are numbered, are they all in sequential order, or is there a random mix of numbers? Could you get an all low number or all high number case?

Stupid question, but I don't see the cases opened when I go to my LHS and the boxes available usually cover a wide range of the run to choose from. I think it could be because their distributor is mixing it up and they sometimes order less than a case. It was very odd for there to even be 3 in a row and I would have mixed it up myself, but the situation was such that I had no choice and I was glad they even held them.

Like Jerry said to George, "If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right." Do the opposite. Big Grin