Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Mark Spears Halloween (Mark Spears Studios, 2022)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark Spears Halloween (Mark Spears Studios, 2022)
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Well, this long-awaited Kick starter arrived today and it was fun to open packs again!
The colorful box has a checklist on the side.
Box had 8 packs of 20 cards (160 cards), the set is 92 cards so I was pretty confident of pulling a full set. I was way off!

I got 63 base cards out of 92, with 40 duplicates
Base cards are full bleed full color and are spectacular
There are 5 sets of Parallels, all numbered on back.
16 Monochrome (B & W full bleed) # to 199
16 1982 (Black bordered, on retro stock) # to 199
7 Bloody Nightmare (Full bleed red monochrome) # to 99
6 Ghoul ( with Monster magazine style frame) # to 99
7 Grimly Gold (with gold frame highlights) # to 99
I got 4 duplicate parallels
Also in the box:
1 Night of the Living Dead card (photo from film) There are 13 in set, mine was #299/299
1 Halloween Sticker #149/199
1 Mark Spears autographed card #56/199
Kick Starter Extras:
1 Print Plate
1 Grimly Gold Card
2 Kickstarter Exclusives, Frankenstein's Monster, and The Phantom

Thoughts: I was very disappointed to not get a full set, even with the parallels, I only have 74 cards out of 92. To get 44 duplicates is just plain wrong.
The cards themselves are beautiful, I love Spears' style. These are classic monster cards, and well worth collecting. I am going to hang on to my extras in case any of you get a box of these, let's trade!

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
Hi Don I am in the same boat. Great art, but hard
to make even a base set. I would be happy to see if we can help each other finish the base. Also would love to finish the monochrome set.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Sounds good Mike. I have 2 emails for you, so am sending you a message by both

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Besides the recent NSU promo i have seen folks on Ebay with several cards limited to 60 to 100 each, calling them promos. Looks like there might be 7 to 10 different ones. How were they available?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Tommy I looked on eBay and just saw these promos. They were not included in boxes.
I think they may have something to do with the movie "Spirit Halloween" which features some of Mark Spear's art on posters and also trading cards. The clue is the two cards with kid's pictures on them. None of the eBay images shows the back of the card, so its hard to figure out what these are promoting, the movie or the cards. No idea how they were distributed.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just contacted Mark and he said the only promo is the NSU one. He said that those other cards were reward cards that were Kickstarter exclusives when the pledges passed certain levels

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
Hi Don - it's been awhile! Anyway, is anyone still working (i.e., trading) to complete this set? I'm now 3 hobby boxes in and still haven't been able to complete my base set - the collation (or lack there of) is simply TERRIBLE! I now have a stack of duplicates just a bit over a foot high...I did strike a minor vein of gold in that the last 2 boxes I purchased each had 4 Night of the Living Dead cards, but bad luck in that I only needed one of them!

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
aeolus, contact me with your wants, I still have a small pile of extras. I still need a few as well.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aeolus14ummbra:

I'm now 3 hobby boxes in and still haven't been able to complete my base set - the collation (or lack there of) is simply TERRIBLE!

sounds like a good way of getting nobody to buy the next set if there is one. Frown

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
I have quite a lot of doubles for both series. If anyone is interested in trading let me know.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post