Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Red Sonja, 35 Years of (Dynamic Forces)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Sonja, 35 Years of (Dynamic Forces)
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
Candidate for longest title of the year, 35 Years of Red Sonja Back To Basics Trading Cards have finally arrived after nearly a year of waiting.

How can you go wrong with a redhead in chain mail?

First thing I notice, boxes still have 36 packs. Nice to see again.

Next impression is that half the packs I open have some sort of chase card. Very nice to see.

So, once it's all opened and the pretty pictures looked at. Here is what my first box yielded:

1 Complete 72 Card Base Set (1 short of a second, lots of triples)
10 HoloFoil Puzzle cards (Complete 9 card Puzzle +1 extra)
8 Holo Foil Chase Cards (6 Unique, 2 doubles)
3 Autographs
  • Gene Ha
  • Alison Sohn
  • Gene Ha
    2 Sketch Cards
  • Kevin Sharpe Red Sonja 191/202
  • Jay Giston Red Sonja 31/200

Fun box to open. Grade A overall, with a D in the "on time" category.

Interesting to note the sketch cards have a place on the back for the artists name and for hand numbering the cards. I'm still not sure if I have the 2nd artist's name right, as his handwriting is like mine.

Limited to 150 cases, this might be a sleeper hit. Lots of fun in the box.

I'll try to post my additional breakdowns when the rest of my order arrives.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

•  
    Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    I've opened 3 boxes so far. Each has yieleded 1 sketch card and 2 autograph cards. I haven't had time to break down the number of chase cards or base sets that each box yields.
    It's a nice set but it looks exactly like the prior set in terms of design. The card stock is also really, really thin. I do like the fact that the name of each artist is neatly printed on the back of the sketch card and each sketch card is individually numbered.
    Here are the 3 sketches I've pulled so far.

John Czop #20/60

Rich Molinelli #24/166

Adam Hughes #9/10 Bouncey

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    Picture of goldenavenger
    posted Hide Post
    That's a very cool Adam Hughes!!! Thumb Up

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by goldenavenger:
    That's a very cool Adam Hughes!!! Thumb Up

It is a cool card.
    Not cool are the 9 foil puzzle cards. They are not numbered!! Shake Head

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Dragoncrypt
    posted Hide Post
    WandringRebel - Congrats on the Adam Hughes pull, that card is a beauty Luv You

SciFiCards - it looks like you might have opened one of "hot boxes" that were in previous Dynamic Forces releases, where there are more inserts, autos and sketches. I wonder if DF had hot boxes this time around?

Dragoncrypt

Posts: 199 | Location: The Great White North (Canada) | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Scifi Cards
    posted Hide Post
    Busted a few more boxes, strays from 2 different cases...

? Complete 72 Card Base Set
    5 HoloFoil Puzzle cards
    3 Holo Foil Chase Cards
    3 Autographs
  • Christos Gage
  • Billy Tan
  • Michael Avon Oeming
    1 Sketch Card
  • Jay Giston Red Sonja 24/200

7 HoloFoil Puzzle cards
    4 Holo Foil Chase Cards
    3 Autographs
  • Joseph Michael Linsner Clap (Keeping this one)
  • Greg Hildebrant Thumb Up
  • Allison Sohn
    1 Sketch Card
  • Rich Molinelli 82/166

7 HoloFoil Puzzle cards
    5 Holo Foil Chase Cards
    2 Autographs
  • Michael Avon Oeming
  • Pablo Marcos
    1 Sketch Card
  • Ryan Stegman 90/197

8 HoloFoil Puzzle cards
    10 Holo Foil Chase Cards [1 complete set + spare]
    3 Autographs
  • Luke Lieberman
  • Mel Rubi
  • Adam Hughes
    2 Sketch Card
  • Rich Mollinelli
  • Allison Sohn 12/60 Thumb Up

Collation does seem to be hit or miss. Now I have to sort base sets... Shake Head

Fun set, might have to open more just for the fun of it.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

•  
    Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    While I agree the base set looks awesome, again I find the box with no autographs or sketch cards. I am getting frustrated with all issues the trading card industry is putting out lately, from no inserts to multiple poor sketch cards. I wrote to Dynamic Forces, not to get an insert but to vent. I will let you know if anything comes out of it. Hope everyone has better luck!

Posts: 34 | Location: Richmond, Va | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    Picture of comicbookfan
    posted Hide Post
    Well I opened the box I got from Ed.
    Here's my breakdown:
    3 base sets
    1 sketch card #171/202 by Kevin Sharpe
    2 Auto cards: Billy Tan & Brian Reed
    1 holofoil chase: #6 Red Sonja by Greg Horn
    5 puzzle holofoils.
    I'll scan the inserts later and post them.
    Inserts

Item 300302165897

My sketch card

Likes: most of the images on the base set and the info on the card back listing the artist. That there is space for the artist to write their name & the card #.
    Dislikes: how thin the card stock is for the base set and that most of my base set cards having peeling edges. That the base set has horizontal & vertical images mixed together on the same 9 card page. The unnumbered puzzle cards.
    My sketch card has a crimp mark along the top of the card Shake Head and it's dated 2007 Roll Eyes. Given how long it has taken to get this release out and the mix of collation for inserts I can't say I'm in a hurry to try and deal with DF to get a replacement sketch. Plus I like the image of my sketch. Now if I knew I'd get an AH or Sohn as a replacement I'd send it in Big Grin but if I ended up with something like item 300302165897 I'd be kicking myself for sending it in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: comicbookfan,

Posts: 1089 | Location: florida | Registered: December 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    Picture of comicbookfan
    posted Hide Post
    Oh yeah forgot to say Congrats to WandringRebel to that awesome AH pull Clap
    plus the Czop one is great as well.

Posts: 1089 | Location: florida | Registered: December 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Redemption
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by comicbookfan:
    Now if I knew I'd get an AH or Sohn as a replacement I'd send it in Big Grin but if I ended up with something like item 300302165897 I'd be kicking myself for sending it in.

Oh my god!!!Oh my god!!!Oh my god!!! LMAO!!! Big Grin

Must stop laughing... it's really sad...

...but funny none-the-less! Big Grin

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Incarnadine
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Redemption:
    quote:
    Originally posted by comicbookfan:
    Now if I knew I'd get an AH or Sohn as a replacement I'd send it in Big Grin but if I ended up with something like item 300302165897 I'd be kicking myself for sending it in.

Oh my god!!!Oh my god!!!Oh my god!!! LMAO!!! Big Grin

Must stop laughing... it's really sad...

...but funny none-the-less! Big Grin

Holy farking schnit! Is that sketch for real? A true 1 of 1 masterpiece. Smokin'

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
    (Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
    Picture of TheUberBob
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Incarnadine:

Holy farking schnit! Is that sketch for real? A true 1 of 1 masterpiece.

For anyone who might not know, CB Cebulski is actually an editor and talent coordinator who mostly works with Marvel these days. Personally, I thought it was hilarious. If I had pulled that card I'd have been perfectly happy, but that's only because I know who he is. My roommate actually knows him and did has done some work for him in the past and when I showed him the auction he laughed his butt off.

-Bob-

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    Picture of igman7
    posted Hide Post
    But if he did NOT know him and paid $60-$70 for a box, how much would he be laughing then?

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gold Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    That sketch made me laugh,
    thanks for sharing and great pulls everyone Smile

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    NSU Elf
    Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Candidate for longest title of the year, 35 Years of Red Sonja Back To Basics Trading Cards

Wow. And no punctuation? I think I'll use this title with my kiddo on how NOT to title things *lol*

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    Picture of comicbookfan
    posted Hide Post
    I've added scans of my inserts & the item 300302165897 since it will eventually drop off that site. I'll add some of the basic card images to imageshack later since there are great portrayals of Red Sonja.
    I had googled CB Cebulski to see who he was and saw he was with Marvel as an editor. So I get the idea and it is cute but still for the amount of money a box was I'd be a little stressed getting that sketch.
    My artist was one who obviously got sketch cards in early. On ebay I've seen some with 2008 dates. Gotta to say I have not seen a sketch card dated 2009 yet! This has got to be one of the longest developement times for a card set Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
    Picture of Peter cloet
    posted Hide Post
    it's very expensive for such a quality sketch.

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gold Card Talk Member
    Picture of TheUberBob
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by igman7:
    But if he did NOT know him and paid $60-$70 for a box, how much would he be laughing then?

You're 100% right, of course. However, it IS a 1 of 1! That's gotta count for something!

-Bob-

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Redemption
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TheUberBob:
    quote:
    Originally posted by igman7:

You're 100% right, of course. However, it IS a 1 of 1! That's gotta count for something!

-Bob-

Looke more like a pile of #2 to me. Razz

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Silver Card Talk Member
    posted Hide Post
    Very nice batch of base card artwork! Boxes hold 36 packs of 7 cards. 10 boxes per case, 120 cases total. Expect 3.31 base sets of 72 if collation were perfect. Items that were not part of the final release, but that had been shown in early press releases, include (1) Blank sketch cards, and (2) Retailer-incentive box bonus cards, signed by Roy Thomas, limited to 1973). Some sketch artists and signers who were on the 2007 sell sheets didn't make it into the 2009 release either. Many of the autographs were signed on two or three different background-art designs or in two different pen colors.

Oh, and I guess I'm quite well pleased with my Adam Hughes concentration! Wink

I didn't have a hot box, but for a while I thought I did. All of the premium cards in Box 2 were in the stack of 18 packs I opened first. So I'd call that a hot half-box and a dud half-box, which hints that snkeeyes9 won't be the only one disappointed.

BOX 1

Base cards (72): 3 complete sets, 18 doubles, 2 fives
    Holofoil cards (9, 1:7 packs): 1 4 5 6 9 (of 9)
    Foil puzzle cards (9, 1:7 packs): Top left,middle Center middle,right Bottom right [back]
    Sketch cards (23+, 1:36 packs): John Czop #35 of 60
    Autograph cards (41+, 1:18 packs): Adam Hughes (design 1: facing forward)
    Autograph cards (41+, 1:18 packs): Doug Murray (black ink)
    Star Power autographs (4, ?): Robert Rodriguez (Billy Tan art)

BOX 2

Base cards (72): 2 complete sets, 1 short of 3rd, 20 doubles, 1 five
    Holofoil cards (9, 1:7 packs): 2 4 5 7 9 (of 9)
    Foil puzzle cards (9, 1:7 packs): Top left Center left,middle Bottom middle,right,right [back]
    Sketch cards (23+, 1:36 packs): Adam Hughes #1 of 10
    Autograph cards (41+, 1:18 packs): Adam Hughes (design 2: left profile)
    Autograph cards (41+, 1:18 packs): Allison Sohn (design 2: facing forward)
    Autograph cards (41+, 1:18 packs): Billy Tan (black ink)
    Star Power autographs (4, ?): none

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post