Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Star Wars 30th Anniversary (Topps)
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 24
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars 30th Anniversary (Topps)
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of comicbookfan
posted Hide Post
Well I got my package from Topps but I had to wait a day or two before I could calm down enough to post. The good news the turn around from Topps was very fast and I got the 4 blue foils I had been shorted. The bad news I got another auto card and the same one I'd already pulled - Gary Kurtz. Mad Mad Mad
I put in my letter than I'd pulled 4 autos and 3 sketches so I felt it was reasonable to expect a sketch card. I didn't mind which one. Heck I love the Fabbri sketches. And seeing the nice sketches some other folks were getting for dud boxes I allowed myself hope. Bah shouldn't have bothered. I find myself totally disgusted with this purchase. Taking the same money I'd spent on the case I could have bought a nice set of sketches featuring main cast members directly from ebay and had none of the stress.
I'm not sure it is even worth trying to talk to Topps again about why they sent an auto instead of a sketch when I listed the numbers I'd pulled.
Now I hear Topps is doing Pirates. I'd have loved a Pirates set but it is not worth it to me. This experience spoiled the enjoyment of cards for me.

Posts: 1089 | Location: florida | Registered: December 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Comicbookfan - while that does suck, the odds Topps has for pulling autos/sketches DO work out to 5 autos and 3 sketches per case on average, so them sending you another autograph, while it does suck, would keep with their odds.

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of comicbookfan
posted Hide Post
Using a case has 192 packs and Topps packed listed ratios the autos would be 4.47 a case and sketches 3.84 in a case which needed to be rounded to a whole number since we're obviously not getting parts of a card Big Grin. Normally .49 and under gets rounded down and .51 and above gets rounded up. So you'd get a 4/4 split in a case.
If you rounded up regardless of what is behind the decimal you'd expect a 5/4 split.

Posts: 1089 | Location: florida | Registered: December 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
Comicbookfan I got a 5/3 split. I was not unhappy. Smile

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
my point is, Topps can send you whatever they want, and it is still better than nothing. I have dealt with them with Sports products and never gotten anything in return for a dud box. Be happy you even got a Kurtz. The average case is 5/3, if you look over the entire run that is what it is.

I got a 3/0 case split, and believe me, that sucks more than getting a Gary Kurtz auto as a replacement. As I said in another thread, at least Topps is holding true to one autograph or sketch when sending out the replacements, they could just print up a glorified foil insert like they did with Evolution Update. On getting a repeat auto, I think 16/18 of my cases had a repeat signer.

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
I definitely would have traded you one of my AWESOME Jesssica Hickman, "Jawas in Blue", for your Kurtz autograph. Big Grin

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xtime:
Paying $50 to $60 or more a box makes you a beggar? There was a day when that meant you were a customer. However, considering the experience of many collectors it may be the most concise and accurate analogy of the how the manufacturer views us.

Confused

Well if TOPPS cannot guarantee certain amounts of autos and other inserts, I for one am not suprised by peoples case breaks. If anything TOPPS is becoming known for this. Just like Artbox is known for not releasing a good amount of info for their sets.....

Again, this enforces the idea of just buying Inkworks products!

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it makes you feel better, my case break was only a 7/1....and overall I've only had a 10/2 split with this product. Its all about luck man...you can't bank on guarantees, at least not with Topps Smile

Posts: 283 | Location: San Jose, USA | Registered: September 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
exactally, if the company cannot guarantee the odds.....
Again, i'm not surprised!

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dragoncrypt
posted Hide Post
I bought two cases and got 4/4 splits on both. I thought I was lucky with that. I think overall, the distribution has been a little wonky but this isn't this the first sketch/auto combination that Topps has really done? Maybe a few more releases to really work it out?

Now that I know Topps is pretty good with the foils, I'll send them a note about my missing foils (1 Red and 1 Blue). Smile

Posts: 199 | Location: The Great White North (Canada) | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
I posted a couple weeks ago that the Blister Bonus packs purchased at Wal-mart did not contain the bonus cards.

Topps came through by sending me the bonus cards.
They require copies of receipts, upcs, and wrappers - but the sent me complete set of cards, so I am happy now.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I finally finished up probably my last case (my card shop let me buy 1 box at a time). Still had good luck with the collation. All boxes had 1 red and 2 blue foils (no golds). Each box had an autograph or sketch (5 autos / 3 sketches) so I've been really really lucky not to hit a "dud" box. Still no big autos (Richard Edlund, John Mollo, Joe Viskocil, Christine Hewitt and Maria DeAragon). But still had good luck with the sketches as I get my 2nd Bellinger (another incredible work of art) Clap, a really neat color cel by Graham and nice Gould. I know what scene my Bellinger is but I think Len has titles for each one. Thanks for looking!

Posts: 10 | Location: United States | Registered: August 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the nice sketches JR, and welcome to Card Talk.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Nice sketches! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dragoncrypt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raider5gt:
quote:
BTW, what sketch card did you get?

i got a paul gutierrez sketch of luke also got a retail box 3 magnet cards&4 cel cards.
the cel cards are quite nice Big Grin

Nice! I was thinking of getting some retail packs for the inserts too. The whole base set and inserts have been pleasantly enjoyable Smile

Posts: 199 | Location: The Great White North (Canada) | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dragoncrypt
posted Hide Post
Wow! Congrats on your second Bellinger JR!! The Graham and Gould are great too!

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of gofmauleg
posted Hide Post
JR, welcome to Card Talk! Wave Those are very nice sketches. Congrats!

Posts: 714 | Location: City by the Bay, CA | Registered: May 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
These are very nice sketches. I love the color ones.

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of raider5gt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice! I was thinking of getting some retail packs for the inserts too. The whole base set and inserts have been pleasantly enjoyable

yes i agree Thumb Upthe retail inserts are more fun but would of been nice to get a colour sketch in the hobby boxes Twak
nice sketches JR the sketches by Len B,are outstanding Drool

Posts: 437 | Location: Gloucester UK | Registered: July 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ocdlotr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JR:
...still had good luck with the sketches as I get my 2nd Bellinger (another incredible work of art) Clap, a really neat color cel by Graham and nice Gould. I know what scene my Bellinger is but I think Len has titles for each one.

Hey JR...great pulls as I love all three cards from your case...

First, i had to post a scan of my own for the sketch card of mine you pulled...

...although that thick plastic case is great for mainting the Near Mint/Mint grading status of cards, it surely is a nightmare to scan with...or even take a digital picture of...so, I hope you don't mind my posting what the card really likes like in person...

...I'm really happy you pulled it and hope it will either find a good home in your collection or get you some $$$ for your inve$tment...

...you also wrote that this was your second pull of one of my sketch cards...I went back looking on this thread but couldn't find that post...maybe I carelessly overlooked it...if you don't mind my asking, what was the other sketch card...I'd love to know as I like to track where these sketch cards have been pulled or shipped, and then, where they'll eventually be headed...

...thanks again for everyone's kind words...with the prices of cases rising to well over $700, I think I'll be waiting quite a while before I crack open another case myself...but there's still some BIG and BEAUTIFUL sketch cards and autos still out there waiting... Eek Confused

Posts: 216 | Location: New York | Registered: March 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post