Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Box Breakdowns    Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008 Topps)
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008 Topps)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Soul-on-Fire
posted Hide Post
After the Indy Heritage desaster I only got one Crystal Skull box. And boy, was I surprised...

Not one base set, not even remotely close... missing almost 30 cards... Shake Head
no parallel cards (no problem, since I don't care about them at all)
Foil cards: 2, 3, 8, 9
And a Karen Allen Allen autograph! Clap
But wait, in another pack was another card I couldn't believe in pulling... a beautiful Indy sketch by Steve Oatney!!! Bouncey
Amazing to be on the winning side of a Topps product again... Wink

Posts: 608 | Location: Germany | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cee_Jay
posted Hide Post
Nice pulls from one box! Thumb Up

Posts: 756 | Location: NRW, Germany | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Soul-on-Fire:
After the Indy Heritage desaster I only got one Crystal Skull box. And boy, was I surprised...

Not one base set, not even remotely close... missing almost 30 cards... Shake Head
no parallel cards (no problem, since I don't care about them at all)
Foil cards: 2, 3, 8, 9
And a Karen Allen Allen autograph! Clap
But wait, in another pack was another card I couldn't believe in pulling... a beautiful Indy sketch by Steve Oatney!!! Bouncey
Amazing to be on the winning side of a Topps product again... Wink

Since your unhappy with not getting the base set. I'll send you what you need for the sketch. Sound like a deal?

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
Received my case 2 weeks ago and I finally managed to get everything sorted:

I got all the suspected of base sets & foils.

Autographs:
*Pasha Lychnikoff
*David Koepp
*Karen Allen

Sketches:
*Stephanie Yue
*Jerry Vanderstelt
*Patrikc Richardson
*Noah Albrecht
*Jason Hughes
*Karen Krajenbrink

I was really happy about this so I'm thinking of buying another case and still hoping for the triple autograph.

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SMC2910
posted Hide Post
Grabbed 1 box before picking up a case.
#12-7198
No Base Sets 19 Cards short of 1
No Box Topper
Foils(8) 3, 4, 5x2, 6x2, 7 & 8
Parallel 11 (64/350) & 66 (15/350)
Auto Pasha Lynchnikoff
Sketch Waterhouse

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SMC2910,

Posts: 46 | Location: Coffs Harbour,Downunder | Registered: June 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SMC2910
posted Hide Post
Cracked my case nothing super duper. A very sketch heavy case, only 1 auto and 1 box with 3 parallels. Was hoping for a full colour sketch but dems the breaks.

Autos
Karen Allen

Sketches
Michael Duron Big Grin Fantastic work.
Waterhouse
Woodside
Krajenbrink (Guess thats the blue skull)
Albrecht ?

Not sure about bottom left and rights.

Posts: 46 | Location: Coffs Harbour,Downunder | Registered: June 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SMC2910:
Cracked my case nothing super duper. A very sketch heavy case, only 1 auto and 1 box with 3 parallels. Was hoping for a full colour sketch but dems the breaks.

Autos
Karen Allen

Sketches
Michael Duron Big Grin Fantastic work.
Waterhouse
Woodside
Krajenbrink (Guess thats the blue skull)
Albrecht ?

Not sure about bottom left and rights.

Bottom left, Ingrid Hardy. Bottom right, Kate Bradley.

The Duron is awesome!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
The bottom right is Kate "Red" Bradley.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SMC2910
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hello everybody. I just got a box (I can't afford the case's some of you buy) today.

Got 4 Foil #'s 1,2,3 & 4
1 Crystal Skull Parallel Card #59
1 Sketch card (Left Bottom Corner 881 Wilson)
Looks like Colonel Dovchenko

Your missing Peel & Reveal Trap/Treasure Card is "Ark of the Covenant". I'm only missing the following for Peel & Reveal:
Rats; Poison; Gaint Fire Ant's & The Idol.

Of Course 1 box no Autos.

Also on the Retail cards: The Target Foil cards have Red backs (I still need F1 & F4) and the WAl-Mart cards have Blue backs (I still need F2 & F5). On the 10 card Foil set I need 6 of 10 & 8 of 10.

OK can any answer this question:
On page 12 of the Non-Sport Update June/July 2008 the article states 25 Foil Cards.
10 standard foils, 5 - Wal-Mart & 5- Target PLus 5 form Dark Horse. Has anyone seen the DArk Horse ones and can you post pictures.

Posts: 569 | Location: Killeen, Tx, USA | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
What I find so crazy is that everybody is complaining about the Ryan Waterhouse sketches but I want just one for my set but I keep always outbidded on Ebay. I'm still searching for one.

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter cloet:
What I find so crazy is that everybody is complaining about the Ryan Waterhouse sketches but I want just one for my set but I keep always outbidded on Ebay. I'm still searching for one.

Email me and I will send you one for free!

http://twitter.com/MasterFreeza

Posts: 1233 | Location: Renegade City | Registered: April 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
thank you, email sent

A belgian hiphop group

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of ghostrider666
posted Hide Post
I heard bad things about the breakdowns of this product, heres a story for those of you who bought it.....
A dealer friend of mine picked up a couple boxes. He cracked 1 for himself. He got nothing, no sketch, no auto, nada.
He sold the other unopened box to a teenage girl over last 2 weekends ago. Last weekend, she came back & showed the cards she pulled from the box. She got a Lebeouf auto card & a crystal skull card. She was VERY happy. My friend jokingly said, "Wow, and you didnt get a sketch card?" She said, oh yeah, I got 5 in the box. Shes going to bring them by this weekend for him to see.

Talk about feast or famine!

Posts: 1495 | Location: Hbg Pa USA | Registered: January 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ghostrider666:
I heard bad things about the breakdowns of this product, heres a story for those of you who bought it.....
A dealer friend of mine picked up a couple boxes. He cracked 1 for himself. He got nothing, no sketch, no auto, nada.
He sold the other unopened box to a teenage girl over last 2 weekends ago. Last weekend, she came back & showed the cards she pulled from the box. She got a Lebeouf auto card & a crystal skull card. She was VERY happy. My friend jokingly said, "Wow, and you didnt get a sketch card?" She said, oh yeah, I got 5 in the box. Shes going to bring them by this weekend for him to see.

Does she understand what is meant by "sketch cards?" I'm wondering if she's just thinking about the art cards that are at the end of the base set.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:
Originally posted by ghostrider666:

Does she understand what is meant by "sketch cards?" I'm wondering if she's just thinking about the art cards that are at the end of the base set.

That's exactly what I was thinking because I got around 6-7 of those.....

Posts: 377 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
Could anyone help me with this sketch card? Who the artist is? I don't recognize the sig.

Thank You in advance!

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
Could anyone help me with this sketch card? Who the artist is? I don't recognize the sig.

Thank You in advance!

I believe that's by Paul Gutierrez.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
A quick note about this case breakdown:
OK, I'm the guy who got the 11 Waterhouse Gandalf's in a single case of LOTR Masterpieces II, so why I am here with another Topps case breakdown after that debacle? Well, to get the breakdown without further yappin', check out the results of my dealing with customer service in the "A Time To Give Back To Topps" thread of the "General Card Discussion" section. But to sum it all up (boring!), I cancelled an existing order for a case each Indiana Jones Heritage and Heroes 2 (more on that later) due to that Waterhouse-assisted Gandalf assault, and even moreso, my need to put my money where my mouth is. However, I have since decided to give Topps another try with Crystal Skull. How'd that turn out? Away we go:

Base Card Set of 90. Of the 8 boxes, six boxes had complete sets of the base cards. With the all of the dupes, I was able to complete the 2 incomplete sets from the boxes plus make 4 more sets and come just one more card shy of another set. So that's about 13 base sets in all with only enough dupes left over (103 Cards) for just one more set which is not too shabby. The base sets look great as usual, but buyers' issues with Topps of late have not regarded the collation or quality of base cards. Still, let's keep it positive and give the base cards and de-collation an "A"

Foil Card Set of 10. Moving on to the foil cards, you get about 4 per box according to the odds, and while I found this to be true, one box (the "hot" box) had 8 foils while another had 5 foils. So from the 37 foil cards in my case in all, I made 2 ten card sets, and a near set of 7 out of 10, leaving 10 dupes. This is decent, but to receive an "A" grade, I would of needed 3 sets of 10 with 7 dupes. Still, a "B+" gets Topps a cookie from all but the harshest moms.

Sequentially numbered base parallels. These are a "value added" chase set that can only ever be completed by 350 people in the world, and due to how the cards are spread out, there will be even somewhat fewer sets than even that, and certainly no matching sets. I did get one Parallel card per box as advertised in 7 of the boxes, and the "hot" 8th box yielded 2 of the cards, giving me 9 in all, or 10% of the set of 90. Two of the cards had the low matching number of 002/350, so that was neat. "I'M NUMBER TWO, I'M NUMBER TWO"

I do have to call Topps out on not UV coating the backs of the sequentially numbered cards as they did the base cards. This was most likely to make easier the stamping of the number in gold foil to reverse of the card, however, due to the lack of coating, the card backs show small scratches, nicks, etc. VERY easily. One way manufacturers, (including Topps at least on their sports cards) get around this is by UV coating most of the back of the card, leaving just a small box uncoated so that the gold foil numbers can be stamped into that space. Anyway, here's another example of the fact that for companies that make both sports and non-sports cards, and non-sports enthusiasts may chant with me now our mantra, "WE'RE NUMBER TWO, WE'RE NUMBER TW0". Coincidentally, the number two letter in the alphabet is "B", the grade for this chase set.

Autograph cards. Just one common in my case which, which, because I'm an autograph collector more than a sketch collector, is not the best result for me. However, the lineup of signers secured for this release was great, and there's seems to be a goodly number of even some of the bigger stars (Shia, etc) out there for the average collector, so I'll give it a "B" even though a case by the odds should have yielded 2-3 (and closer to 3) autograph cards as opposed to the single one I received.

Sketch Cards.
My case met the odds on these as I received 6 Sketch cards in all. At one in 35 packs, you can reasonably expect 6 sketches in every 210 packs. Since a case is 192 packs, each case should have either 5 or 6 sketches if the odds are correctly given.
So while 6 of my boxes had sketch cards, my lone Autograph card was in my Hot Box along with one of the sketches. This means that two of my boxes were what are called "Dud" boxes, which seems pretty consistent for this product based on the other early breakdowns.
So with 1-2 dud boxes and 1 hot box per 8 box case, it does of course beg the question: Why not take the extra hit card out of the "Hot" box and place it into one of the "dud" boxes? In my opinion, it is better for both case and single box purchasers that there is most likely 0 (or a maximum of 1) dud box in each case rather than a Hot Box. Jus' sayin' is all.....

So anyway, "A" grade for the sketches, Nice mix of artists, no repeats.

Box and wrapper look great, very simplistic, timeless, Struzan art if I'm not mistaken. No advertising poster of box toppers in these unfortunately. Overall grade on the set "B+".

Welcome back Topps
BUT, a big ol' PostScript:
As I mentioned above I'll be skipping Heroes Volume 2 Cards (and not only because of the overall awfulness of Heroes 2nd season. What's to commemorate about flailfest?! I believe the writer's strike saved that show from outright cancellation. And I used to think "Twin Peaks" was making it up as it went along, sheesh!). But no. my reluctance to buy future Topps issues stems mostly from the lurking fear that this decent Crystal Skull set is the fluke, while the new norm are sets like Heroes 1, LOTR Masterpieces II and Indiana Heritage, each of which in their own way revealed some aspect of the utter mess the Topps Non-Sport division has been in lately. Whatever the cause, Topps has earned the huge drop in confidence from its buyers in a truly breathtakingly short span of time. Well, I hope this Crystal Skull set signals the end of those dark days for the good of the hobby, as Topps has been crucial to its continuation these past 10 years. I have been buying Topps cards since I was a kid who was really way too young to walk to the liquor store to buy the 1976 King Kong movie cards, but did anyway, 15 cents a pack as I recall...

Welcome back, Topps, now watch yer back!

PS: Bought one more box today from my retailer because I like to support the ol' hometown brick and mortar. I didn't get an autograph as I'd hoped, but at least it wasn't a dud box as I received a nice color Marion Ravenwood "cartoony" sketch card by Paul "Gutz" Gutierrez. Also got a numbered parallel but wouldn't you know it was the same as one of the nine I'd received in my full case Razz

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yaourtland
posted Hide Post
Here is the result for my case :

Base set : 12
Foil : 34 (2 complete sets)
Parallel card : 8
Auto :
Ray Winston
Jim Broadbent
Andrew Divoff X 2

Sketch :
Woodside
Waterhouse
Nick Neocleous
????
????

Could you help me for the sketch cards ?

Finally, for this case :
+ No DUD box
+ The HOT box was overloaded with inserts (1 sketch, 1 auto, 2 parallel, 6 foils)
+ Many base sets
+ Possible to find a case for a great price

- No main cast member auto (Shia, Hurt, Allen)
- Twice the same autograph
- 3 sketch cards are ugly

Posts: 21 | Location: Belgium | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post