Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Sketch Card Gallery Discussion    {ARCHIVED} 2007 Sketch Card Contest Questions and Discussion
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
{ARCHIVED} 2007 Sketch Card Contest Questions and Discussion
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of slackjawedyokel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimKyle:
Hey Soul,

What was it that you wanted for your prize?.....I've been really behind on stuff lately.

Jim - I'll send you an e-mail regarding the 3 winners.

Peter

Posts: 889 | Location: Toronto | Registered: August 23, 2004Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey - Well I am safely back in the US. Currently staying at a friends place but moving to my new rental apartment (which isn't cheap) in sunny Costa Mesa, CA.

So I have to ask. If I was to have another contest this year (or the start of next) and I completely revamped the rules to eliminate the age groups and the judging and randomly selected winners would you all enter? Or would you like me to keep the same format? Or a little of both?

Don't be shy with expressing your opinion. All comments are valid.

Cheers - Peter

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
I like the current format but I'll enter regardless what format is used.

I just really like seeing my art on the screen with the chance to win prizes. Big Grin

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I'd like to enter this, haven't done it before, but I've read the current format and it seems fine to me.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
I think it's fine the way it is.
The only difference I might suggest is to put all qualified entries to a popular vote.
Whatever... I'm in no matter what the format.
Perhaps I'll even get it right this time. Wink

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
I just hate that you have to foot the bill for multiple prizes - if you need to level the playing field to just one overall winner, we'd understand - I just like to see & play -

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to visualize all the behind the scenes work that you have to do, Peter, and I can see why you put the question out. I also know it was doubly hard for you to do everything last time around. I'm guessing you're thinking of streamlining things, but IMO, it would be counterproductive to eliminate the age groups and just pick randomly. I can see having 3 groups- 4-10, 11-18, and 19+. Perhaps an online judging system can be employed right here at NSU- the polling option would work perfectly for that. That way there would be a better rounded feedback with more people judging. To make it fair, they would have to be judged at the same time, once all submissions have been received. That way you wouldn't be held up by unsubmitted results, too.

Maybe you can make the prizes a little more convenient for you to send out (and less costly ie-boxes by mail, though a nice prize). I also thought the prize levels were kinda confusing, maybe just a first, second and third place winner with more graduated prize amounts for each.

Can't think of anything else at the moment :P Just need to say that no matter how you go, we appreciate you doing this for us!

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of comicbookfan
posted Hide Post
I think it's great that you've been able to run this contest in the past and I do hope you'll be able to again.
I think you did need some form of age groups to help split things up for judging: at least under 18 and over.

Posts: 1089 | Location: florida | Registered: December 07, 2001Report This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
I would also be in favor of a minimum of 2 age groups - 17 and under and 18 and over because children, for the most part, would feel intimidated competing against adults.

Another thing I'd like to see is People's Choice - let the registered members of the board vote for their overall favorite sketch, but that's just my opinion.

Also if you need help with the prizes, as I've said before - kids prizes don't have to be extravagant. Maybe get members to donate kid-friendly base sets or comic books or art supplies. Adult Prizes - well I'm sure donations of appropriate items could be gotten as well. There's no need for sealed boxes and gift cards - this contest is supposed to be FUN, not about winning.

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your opinions thus far but I need to announce that this years sketch card contest will be postponed until further notice as I am leaving the US Thursday and heading back to Toronto to attend to a family emergency that will keep me occupied for the rest of this year.

I will be in touch when I can. Thanks for your understanding.

Cheers - Peter

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Hope everything works out ok for you Thumb Up

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Report This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
All the best Peter- I hope everything works out!

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of comicbookfan
posted Hide Post
Good luck Peter. We appreciate all you've done so far and hope all goes well in Toronto.

Posts: 1089 | Location: florida | Registered: December 07, 2001Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Soul-on-Fire
posted Hide Post
After I had successfully misplaced my sketch card prize NSU subscription coupon and just recently found it again I am happy to report that the first issue (Spirit) arrived safely in my mailbox today. The magazine was accompanied by a nice letter from Marlin Toser and some extra promo cards! Smile
Thank you very much NSU for staging the contest and to Peter for all the organization! Thumb Up

Unfortunately I am still missing my Jim Kyle sketch card... Shake Head aw well... it's been only a year... I am still young, I can wait... Wink

Posts: 608 | Location: Germany | Registered: October 03, 2005Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Hey, I just wanted to post the sketch card my daughter won in her group. She got it last week and it's by Chris Henderson. The character is Momiji from the Fruits Baskets which is a Manga/Anime series. It's the kind of books she's reading.....

THANKS CHRIS !!!!!!

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Soul-on-Fire
posted Hide Post
Nice! Smile

Posts: 608 | Location: Germany | Registered: October 03, 2005Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that Jim Kyle DID sent my card recently & it looks great! - thanks ...

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by make-mine-marvel:
Forgot to mention that Jim Kyle DID sent my card recently & it looks great! - thanks ...

That's great Chris, Thanks for the update. Can you post a pic of the sketch so we can all see.

Cheers-Peter

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slackjawedyokel:
quote:
Originally posted by make-mine-marvel:

That's great Chris, Thanks for the update. Can you post a pic of the sketch so we can all see.

Cheers-Peter

SURE ...

thanks, Jim!

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Chris - That's an awesome sketch Jim did for your prize. Congrats!