Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Open That Box! Day 2010 Discussion    What is "Open That Box" day?
Page 1 2 3 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Find
Notify
Tools
What is "Open That Box" day?
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Open That Box is a promotion running in the Apr/May '10 issue of Non-Sport Update. On one day, NSU Card Talk members and collectors from around the globe can come to a special area of Card Talk and all share the experience of opening a box of trading cards, all on the same day. This is the fourth year for the event.

What is Open That Box! day?
Let’s face it -- trading cards were meant to be seen, held, read, discussed, and traded; not kept in a box gathering dust. Open that box! day is Non-Sport Update magazine's specially created day when collectors will open a box of trading cards and share their experience with the community at large.

How Do I Participate?
On April 10, we invite you to open a box of cards. Pull that special box out of the back of your closet or purchase a new box from your favorite retailer.

Open the box and come to the special forum here on Non-Sport Update's Card Talk web forum to tell the card collecting community what you got. Try and make this a more meaningful experience by opening your box with a friend or family member. Tell us about that, as well as why you chose this box and why this one means more to you then others. And hey, if you get an extra set, use the NSU Card Talk trading forum to trade with other collectors who are doing the same thing today.

Some of your comments from Open That Box! day '10 may make it to a future article in NSU so remember what you post in the OTB submission thread is fair game. Smile We hope this day will be fun for all who participate.

Other ways you can participate–
You may also take part in Open That Box! day by e-mailing your comments to us at info@nonsportupdate.com. Or by fax (717-238-3220) or mail (NSU, PO Box 5858, Harrisburg, PA 17110).

We hope to get a lot of new submissions from this (from collectors new to Card Talk and maybe from some of you who haven't posted in a while). Additionally, I hope that all of you "regulars" will help support this as well.

Thanks!

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Oh Boy! Open That Box Day is one of my favorite holidays! Count me in.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
time to start shopping... Metal

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Report This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Must get something special for the occasion. Dance

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I will have to think of something extraordinary to crack on OTBD!

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
I'm in, going to pick something up next Saturday.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
For the third year in a row I'll be up at my parents in Suffolk. Looks like I'll be taking a box along for the trip ... and I have just the one in mind.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
Ah - Open that box day has come around again. Will I be able to keep a box that long?

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I've placed my order for one box of Fantastic Four Archives and two boxes of Iron Man movie cards. Hope I pull some good sketches! Smile

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of comicbookfan
posted Hide Post
Hoping I can pick up a box of something at Megacon like I did last year. The challenge is knowing it's in the house and waiting until April 10th!

Posts: 1089 | Location: florida | Registered: December 07, 2001Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Got a box of Women of Star Trek coming....I'll hide it for two weeks so I'll have something to open~!

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Report This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
I have a Spiderman 3 box I have been holding on to. I'm gonna open it with my huge Spiderman loving son. Can't wait.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
OMG Open that box day is like a month away and yours truely has nothing.......
Well before OTBD there is a fair comming up.......
Should be able to wrangle something, if all else fails.....
Could open a box of chocolates or a box of cerial Wink

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I guess I could open one or 2 of my spare boxes posted on the trades list or maybe I'll break down and buy Potter HBP update or another box of Razor.....

Posts: 806 | Location: san diego | Registered: December 01, 2007Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Picked up a box at a show yesterday. I've gone for something I've opened before but not for a few years.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I've created a Facebook "event" for any of you who want to show that you are participating in Open That Box! day 2010. I'll post the link below but I'm not quite sure that it will work for everyone. If it doesn't, just go to www.facebook.com/nonsportupdate and you should be able to find the Open That Box! day event.

Thanks.

Open Tha Box! day Facebook event

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
I'm there this year. Bought several packs from a gravity dispenser and several 2 packs of Topps new Garbage Pail Kids Flashback series.

Hope to pull a sketch! Doubtful!

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
I'm going to open a box of either 1997 Ultra Spiderman, 96 Masterpiece or 01 Marvel Legends retail.

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I'm in for the first time ever Big Grin Usually I only have boxes of sets I actually collect so am completely incapable of leaving them sealed until the correct day. This year, however, I have a bunch of boxes from the Razor Ink Archives so I will probably open Alias.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haljordanfan:
I'm going to open a box of either 1997 Ultra Spiderman, 96 Masterpiece or 01 Marvel Legends retail.

Wow, tough decision.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Report This Post