Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Small 90s Cache found -- any value?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small 90s Cache found -- any value?
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted
Picked up the remnants of an old shop's stock. . .nearly all of it was commons, and lots of junk. . .but I did find a small stack of promos.

I'm not a promo collector. . .

I haven't been able to find anything about the Simpson's card. The back says "Patriot Missles 51" "Scuds 4" looking a bit like a scoreboard with no other identifying information.

I believe the rest of the cards were all from comics.

The GIJoe card is M4.

The Continuity Comics cards are #1,2,3,4,7,8,9,10,11

I've seen a number of the Continuity cards for sale for a couple of bucks each, but I wasn't able to find all of the ones I have. I have no idea if any of these might be tough to find.

I also found Deathwatch 2000 sets PR1-PR5, and a Bloodwulf promo.

Anything good here?

Thank you!

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
They'd all make pretty good trade bait to the right person! As bad as the continuity comics were, finding all the cards isn't the easiest of tasks and some feature cool rarely seen art from popular artists (like that mystic card by Adam Hughes in your pic!). If anything's available for trade drop me a note of what you're looking for. Any pics of the Deathwatch 2000 cards?

Never seen the others but they're cool! How old were the base cards in the lot you purchased? Which sets?

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also just realized a stack of Bram Stoker's Dracula cards were all promos. . . cards (5-16) 5.6.7.8.9.10.11.12.13.14.15.16 with multiple copies of each.

These are from comics as well.

All of these cards are available -- unfortunately I only collect autographs and sketches so trading might be a bit of a trick.

The commons were a mix of the stuff from the early 90s, some Marvel, Desert Storm, DC, Wolverine, X-Men, Comic Ball etc.

Thanks,

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
The Continuity cards were part of a moderately large 36(I believe) set that were inserted into each of the Deathwatch 2000 crossover comics. The problem is that some of the cards you could see in the plastic while others were inside the comic. There were also different levels of rarity. It is a tough set to put together. Starwolf who used to be on cardtalk had completed a set after 10 years of trying.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE states that the Continuity cards total 29 with numbers 12 and 13 being classed as promo chase cards due to them being a dealer incentive. I am only 6 short myself these being #'s 24-29

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
John, I got a 28 right in front of me.
If you want it drop me your addy at barobehere2@comcast.net
I will get it in the mail.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool, thanks for the info, guys. . .

Looks like the only real mystery card is the Simpsons one. . .

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jack London
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing that and similar Bart Simpson Saddam cards years ago at card shows.

From what I remember, they were "Broder" cards (generic name for unlicensed cards at that time). Broder was a company that made a ton of nonlicensed sport cards featuring popular players in all four sports.

They commonly sold at the time for about $1-2 a piece.

Oddly, I can remember one convention where the promoter was going around and making the vendors take the cards out of their display cases and not sell them, due to them being unlicensed.

Of course, this lead to a buying frenzy of the things at tables/booths where the promoter had not appeared yet. Razz

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 1553 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Those Continuity cards were not too tough to find 10-15 years ago, and I am pretty sure that I have multiples of most numbers. That was because by the late 1990s, the comics were practically worthless and you could find the comics and/or the cards for 50 cents to $1, or even less.

Yes, the # 12 and 13 are foil chase cards. But even those (at least 10 years ago) were not impossible to find. I think that on one of them, I actually have two or three, and that I may have pulled them from the bagged comics.

Of course, all of this was 10 years ago. So the cards may be much harder to find in 2011, due to the total lack of interest in the comics now. That has happened with alot of 1990s comics that came with cards inserted in them (ex: Mr.T, Ralph Snart, Ninja High School, etc)

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My interest in collecting promo cards was re-ignited by the cards found in comics in the 90's although to collect them I had to rely on the comic dealers telling me about them or putting them aside for me. On a nostalgic note that was in the days when there were a lot of comic fairs being held in London so travelling up was worth it. Eventually my trips petered out although by then I had dealers mailing me the comics and cards but with all good things this activity come to an end due to the delears ceasing business.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, all of this was 10 years ago. So the cards may be much harder to find in 2011, due to the total lack of interest in the comics now. That has happened with alot of 1990s comics that came with cards inserted in them (ex: Mr.T, Ralph Snart, Ninja High School, etc)

Theres still a glut of those bagged 90s comics with cards around... Went to a warehouse sale down here this past fall, and bought them by the pound (really!) Still think the cards are cool though.... Sometimes the cards are concealed and you can't see which one you're getting.

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by David R:
Yes, the # 12 and 13 are foil chase cards. But even those (at least 10 years ago) were not impossible to find. I think that on one of them, I actually have two or three, and that I may have pulled them from the bagged comics.
[QUOTE]

Would you be able to post images of cards 12 & 13?

I need those two and #23 to finish my set.

Other 90s comic inserts would include - Heavy Hitters (Epic Comics – 23 cards), Hunt for Magneto and Dark Horse Comics (24 cards).

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: April 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bond

Herewith scans of 12, 13 (the white bits are Silver Foil) and 23

Card 12 Valeria She Bat

Card 13 Shaman

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Card 23 FireBat
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JOHN LEVITT,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John, thanks. You beat me to it !

The Mr.T set by Now Comics was tough to put together, because the newsstand version of every issue had different cards in it than the direct (released through comic stores) version. Almost 20 years later, I am sure that most of the newsstand versions of the comic were tossed in the trash. So for instance, Mr.T card #1 came in one version of comic #1, but card #2 came in the SECOND version of issue #1 (not #2), so on and so forth. No one knows for sure how many issues actually came out.

Another nice set (and in my opinion, tough to find) is the Ninja High School set of 4. Going strictly from memory, most of the cards came in the DELUXE versions of the comic, which was $8-10 at the time of release. I think there was 1 card per issue. Even back in 1993, or whenever it was, few comic stores ordered comics that had $8 cover prices, so that makes these even MORE difficult to obtain today. I believe PCE lists these under Antarctic Press.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David

My pleasure! I just happened to have them at hand and my scanner was working.

Regarding the Mr T cards I'm about 8 short of the numbered cards so I now know the reason why I found them hard to find.

I don't have the Antarctic Press Ninja Highschool cards myself however PCE states the date of issue as 1992 so your recollection isn't far out and of course PCE doesn't mention that the comics are hard to find as well. so thank you for the data about their rarity.

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John, which of the Mr.T cards are you missing ? I am looking at my album right now, with #1-17 in it. Not that I have extras to spare, but I seem to recall certain numbers being tougher to find-- #1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 14, and possibly some of the numbers afterwards.

Judging by the above, most of the early odd numbered cards came in the newsstand version of the comic, and the easier to find even ones (#2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12) must have come in the more common comic book store version.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
regarding MR T ...

I have a strange "signed" limited edition package. I don't know if it came with a card, too ... I'll go look.

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
quote:
John, which of the Mr.T cards are you missing ? I am looking at my album right now, with #1-17 in it. Not that I have extras to spare, but I seem to recall certain numbers being tougher to find-- #1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 14, and possibly some of the numbers afterwards

Since the conversation shifted to Mr.T cards, I'll chime in... I've pulled all of mine from bagged comics & I'm missing 5 of them: 7,9,14-16.
Of course I think the ones I'm missing are the hardest to find LOL! I have a dupe of #13 plus some earlier ones too (in case I can get some help from any of you...)

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David

I am missing 7,9,11,12,13,14,15,17 and all but one came from bagged comics I seem to remember and that one came via the bay.

Taking your recollection of the tougher numbers it seems I will have an interesting time in trying to complete the set.

regards

John

posted Hide Post
John,

Thanks for posting images of Continuity Comics cards 12, 13, 23.

It is always good to know what I am looking for.

Bond

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: April 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post