Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Akira Preview Set (Cornerstone, 1994)

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/274605453/m/9847058196

October 21, 2019, 07:41 PM
catskilleagle
Akira Preview Set (Cornerstone, 1994)
I was wondering if anyone remembers when the Akira preview pack (10 cards including 1 prism/"sparkle" card) was released. There were two promos that were given out and one was inserted in Card Collector's Price Guide. The thing about the preview pack is that, years ago, I was always told it was originally sold by the company (as other preview packs were by other companies in more recent years) but I picked up a copy of the book, "Comic Cards and Their Prices," by Stuart Wells III (Wallace-Homestead Book Company, 1994), which is a good reference for comic cards that were released by that time, and it notes the Akira preview pack was given out at trade shows.

I hadn't seen the book until finding one a few years ago at an antique store in Florida. It was tagged at $10.95 but all the antiques/collectibles books were half-priced at the time and the clerk just made it an even $5.

Jess
October 21, 2019, 08:48 PM
promoking
That book is an excellent source of information for collectors of comic cards! I always keep it close by.
I would tend to rely on their assertion that the promo pack was distributed at shows especially since it occurred the same year as when the book was published.

February 08, 2022, 03:09 AM
catskilleagle
The Akira preview pack had been selling rather regularly for around $5-8 back in the late 90's and 2000's but in recent years you could find it for as low as a couple of bucks. I just saw that a pack sold for $60 last Christmas.