Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Opinions on "Exclusive" Promo Cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on "Exclusive" Promo Cards
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted
This subject comes to mind for two reason; first the promos I make and then exclusives for the Chicago Non-Sport Card Show.

There seems to be some hostility toward exclusive promos. I've seen it in the thread on the promo for The Guild from Bilzzcon and I see it every year when San Diego Comic Con promos start being announced.

Where do you draw the line between scarce and exclusive?

If we get exclusives for the Chicago show, it's going to be a limited number of people that get them. Will that make everyone else mad? Or just jealous??

Looking forward to hearing some opinions on the subject.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
I've never seen any hostility toward the SDCC promos, but I guess I've only been reading those threads for the last few years so I don't know about earlier.
I quite like the very "Exclusive" cards, especially the numbered and embossed Inkworks cards that came in the NSU variant magazines. I am slowly collecting those when I see them come up at auction.

The big difference to me is the shows you are talking about are full of non-sport collectors so there's usually a pretty good chance I'm able to pick up what I want on ebay (at a price). Look at the Bettie Page variants, I don't remember any hostility just complaints about how much they would cost to own one, especially the Prism one. But if you were willing to spend the money you had a decent chance of getting one.

The hostility towards the Blizzcon Guild promo is that no one knew about it until afterwards when Cryptozoic announced that there was one. So none of us had the chance. And I'm not sure about anyone else but I have not seen any on ebay, and I would be willing to pay a decent amount for that card since it is one of the only sets that I am really looking forward to.
Doesn't it seem strange that not one has turned up on ebay? Either everyone who got that promo really wanted to keep it or they chucked them.

I'm sorry if I came across so hostile in the other thread, but if no one gives them any criticism about how they are going about things how are they supposed to know to change?

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Most of the time I have no problems with exclusive promo cards, because they always seem possible to get one way or the other. Once in a while I become a little irritated if there are just too many promos for a particular set. Then I just sort of give up on the whole thing. On the other hand, if I am patient enough I always seem to find what I'm looking for months, or even years, later.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Kevin. . . show exclusive promos are generally, partially, an enticement to go to the show as well as create buzz with people hunting down the cards. . .

I think they are a good thing.

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

Where do you draw the line between scarce and exclusive?

Ed

I don't comment about promos very much because I really don't go out of my way to collect them. I keep what drops in my lap only if I have an interest in the item its promoting or if the design is attractive to me.

But as regards your question, to me an exclusive promo made for a particular event or because you purchased a product is fine, even if limited, because it is an extra reward for what you have already done. No one should be jealous, you could have done it too.

A scarce promo however is not good because it goes against what it is supposed to accomplish, namely getting out mass advertising. If you make the promo limited just for the sake of creating something that will have a secondary market value, that enriches the lucky sellers at the expense of the promo collectors.

Promo cards are probably the only cards left that are produced to be free of charge. I don't think it helps the hobby to have totally free cards re-sold for good money, as that does create negative feelings. But exclusive promos come with at least some requirement and are not absolutely free, so that is where the line is drawn by my definition.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
I don't particularly like it, but on the other hand, like others have said, there is certainly a good reason for them to be made.

If I can't get one of the ones I really want, guess I'll just have to live with it.

Posts: 147 | Location: NC | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Difficult one... Agree that it is a good incentive to attend shows and as long as a few come on the market for a couple of bucks Ok. Hate seeing people selling free cards for $6+ during a show, especially when show not accessible for UK collectors. But then life isn't always "fair" - most cards become available at some time - don't like cards that are exclusive and limited to a non-sports card audience.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pendragon
posted Hide Post
This is a great topic. Everyone has made some great points.

IMHO promo cards should be just that "promo"tional cards, available to the masses. Whether it's a show exclusive, binder exclusive, dealer exclusive or sending an SASE to someone, it shouldn't matter as long as the person has access to it, either by purchasing a DVD, CD, trading for it or whatever.

Now when it comes to limited promos, this is a different view. What is considered limited? less than 100? less than 500? If a card is limited then it should be part of the main set. I don't think promo cards should be limited.

I like the way it was done in the "old" days. to get a limited or exclusive card you would send in so many wrappers + some money to the address on the wrapper and you received limited or exclusive card, (1 per address please). This could be done with "limited" promos for example.

My only bad experience was with the Walking Dead SDCC exclusive promo. (Batman can back me up on this one). You practically had to jump through hoops to get the promo. You had to 1) wait in line; 2)get your picture taken on their "set"; 3) upload the picture to your twitter account (if you have one); 4) come back to the keosk and show someone there the picture; 5) get your promo card. Absolutely ridiculous!! Getting a promo should not have to be that hard!

I love what Ed at SciFi cards does. He makes show exclusive promos but also makes them avaible to the masses either by including them with orders or by sending him a SASE and a kind request. Thumb Up Thats called great customer service. Same with the Pernas' and others. Thank you.

This is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pendragon,

Posts: 429 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: January 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I'll be honest - I like limited promos; they are a challenge to get (especially,as Hammer mentioned, on this side of the pond). Friends often get them for me, or I pick them up on eBay or at shows for a reasonable price.
Apart from promoting an event or a particular dealer, these cards also do what they are supposed to do - promote the subject matter (by creating a buzz of discussion about the promo, they keep the subject in the collectors mind).
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pendragon:
I love what Ed at SciFi cards does. He makes show exclusive promos but also makes them avaible to the masses either by including them with orders or by sending him a SASE and a kind request. Thumb Up Thats called great customer service. Same with the Pernas' and others. Thank you.

Actually, I've heard grumbles before on my promos. People who attend a particular show feel special because they got one, but then they feel less special when they find out that anybody with a SASE (and some with more than one SASE) can get them all the same. This is one of the things that got me thinking about this subject.

Ed

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with exclusive show promos, as long as the producers later make them available (as Ed does, as does Paul M. for the CECE shows) or if they are generally easy to obtain from dealers after the fact (Philly, UK shows)

My gripe is when we don't learn of the promos until after the show is over, when there is no announcement about them at all. For instance, there were several comic shows in 2010-2011 where the official websites supposedly listed ALL of the show exclusives, but one small card company gave out promos at these shows that you couldn't get anywhere else, and most people (like me) didn't learn about them until months later. (This company hasn't done any card sets in the latter half of 2011, to my knowledge)

Ed, please shoot me an email when you get a chance.

David

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, I've heard grumbles before on my promos. People who attend a particular show feel special because they got one, but then they feel less special when they find out that anybody with a SASE (and some with more than one SASE) can get them all the same. This is one of the things that got me thinking about this subject.

Ed

Normally I stay out of these discussion since I'm not as "avid" a collector as most of you. I will never be able to buy a case. I can seldom find "cheap" boxes. If it wasn't for Target & WalMart, I would not be able to get cards at all.

And I will never be able to attend a show. One of the realities of the job is that my weekends are taken up with other responsibilities.

So tell me - what is the purpose of these promos? Isn't limiting its availability defeating its purpose of informing the general public of the card set being made? To me, the promo card is just like a business card for the card set. Do you limit who you give a business card to when you are trying to promote your business?

To me, some of these exclusive promo cards are more like exclusive chase cards. And I'm probably one of the few who look at the base set as the cake & the chase cards as the icing. I like cake [it tells the story]. Iciing is nice but as a diabetic, I can live without it.

Posts: 717 | Location: Washington, PA | Registered: June 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pendragon
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pendragon:

Ed

Sorry to hear that Ed. Unfortunately it seems that you can't please everyone. It's kind of a damed if you do, damed if you don't kind of thing. No matter what you do or how you do it someone will always complain or be unhappy.

As for me I don't have the money or the time to go to all the cards shows I would like just to get an "exclusive " or "limited" promo card. If I can get the card(s) via SASE or by trade then that makes me feel "special".

I have to agree with RevJay in that a promo card is a type of business card promoting the card manufacturer and their products. Just think what this hobbie would be like without promos.

It's kind of like the free food samples at Costco or Sam's Club. Some people try the sample to make ther buying decission while others could care less about buying the product and just want the sample because it's free. (or they're hungry)

Years ago NSU had these special cards called "Gummies" that were limited to 1000 cards. In order to get one you had to submit an offical "election ballot" with your choice of the card set, chase card, and card manufacture of the year from a list of all sets that were produced the previous year. The first 1000 people who sent their ballot in by a certain date got one. This was great idea as it promoted not only NSU but all card manufactures but collectors received a nice thank you for participating.

Harris (if you're reading this) any possibility in bringing this back? Thumb Up

Posts: 429 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: January 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RevJay:
So tell me - what is the purpose of these promos? Isn't limiting its availability defeating its purpose of informing the general public of the card set being made? To me, the promo card is just like a business card for the card set. Do you limit who you give a business card to when you are trying to promote your business?

Yes, manufacturer's promos promote the set. But sometimes you actually get more buzz when there are people chasing hard to find promos. The Bettie Page set was a perfect example. Lots of promos to chase and lots of people talking about the set.

Sometimes you get more exposure by printing 500 promos and selectively giving them out than printing 5000 promos that get handed out to anyone whether they care about promos or cards at all. I printed 2000 promos for the Motor City Comic Con last year and gave most all of them out at the "freebie table" where they get picked up by almost everyone. I have yet to hear from anyone that specifically says they picked up my promo card and they decided to call to order/inquire. And I do ask most new customers how they found me.

Ed

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You make an interesting point. RevJay is right that promos are business cards to be distributed so it seems logical to make as many as you can and give them all out but you're saying it also works if you make a more limited-run card and distribute them more selectively.

I was reminded of your post after recently talking to my brother about promotional cards for his business. He's a graphic artist, looking at different ways to promote his business and attract more clients. He's considering having a lenticular card made that shows an image, and as you turn it, a transitional image or two appears and then the final one, each one showing a step in his photo manipulation process. He thinks it would be a cool advertising piece but getting them made is not cheap at about $3.75 each with a 500 card minimum. He can't just give those out randomly at one show with most going to people who collect cool business cards. He might hand them only to prospective clients at trade shows or meetings after gauging their level of interest, maybe giving them out more freely if he gets some work rather quickly. He's still thinking about it.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RevJay:

Yes, manufacturer's promos promote the set. But sometimes you actually get more buzz when there are people chasing hard to find promos. The Bettie Page set was a perfect example. Lots of promos to chase and lots of people talking about the set.

Sometimes you get more exposure by printing 500 promos and selectively giving them out than printing 5000 promos that get handed out to anyone whether they care about promos or cards at all. I printed 2000 promos for the Motor City Comic Con last year and gave most all of them out at the "freebie table" where they get picked up by almost everyone. I have yet to hear from anyone that specifically says they picked up my promo card and they decided to call to order/inquire. And I do ask most new customers how they found me.

Ed

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If you are going to think of promo cards as business cards, you don't need very many. I have thrown out boxes and boxes of my business cards over the years. I never had to pay for them, but they were changed often with different locations, titles, phones and addresses. I hardly ever touched the supply.

Unless you are intent on leaving a paper trail that will only be tossed out, the only time you use a business card is when you are at an industry conference, convention, training event or social affair. Even then it is usually done only by request of the other party. For some jobs of course they may be more useful.

If he is going to make expensive promos, he should only hand them out when he thinks its likely to get return business and/or he is specifically asked.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This might be slightly off topic, but what are your thoughts on card manufacturers who make their own base sets, which they sell from their websites, and each set comes with a 9 or 10 card subset which says "promo card" on the back, that is not available anywhere else ?

I won't say specifically who it is, but there is an artist who sells 90 card base sets of his comics, and each comes with a 10 card "promo" set, that he won't release unless you buy the whole package-- 90 cards + 10 promos, for $ 99 or so.

I asked him if the 10 cards were available separately, and he said no. And no, they were not given out for free anywhere

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
This might be slightly off topic, but what are your thoughts on card manufacturers who make their own base sets, which they sell from their websites, and each set comes with a 9 or 10 card subset which says "promo card" on the back, that is not available anywhere else ?

I won't say specifically who it is, but there is an artist who sells 90 card base sets of his comics, and each comes with a 10 card "promo" set, that he won't release unless you buy the whole package-- 90 cards + 10 promos, for $ 99 or so.

I asked him if the 10 cards were available separately, and he said no. And no, they were not given out for free anywhere

I would consider the 10 cards to be just a subset to the main set. I would consider them promo cards if they promoted other sets that the person was releasing.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post