Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    1994 Skybox Sandman Silver Foils
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1994 Skybox Sandman Silver Foils
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maester samwell:
Thanks for explaining that, David. I look forward to hearing which 3 of the silver promos got the official red signature.

Ok, I have the cards in front of me now. These 3 have the "official" red ink signatures on the back.

I Dream
II Destiny
V Delirium

Hope this helps,
David

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dpolis,

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I have the Sandman promo sheet that came in the frame, with the seal, numbered out of 4444

Not sure why it is so hard to find. I have never seen one on ebay, and it took me years to locate one !

I got one of these unframed. I am not sure if they were framed at first though.

I did get a special framed one that was limited to /25. It has matching numbers for the /4444 promo sheet, /250 S1 signed by Neil Gaiman with an embossed Skybox stamp, one silver Despair promo and a plaque saying "In Appreciation of a Great 1993 and anticipation of a 'Super' 1994! Skybox International 16/25".

My notes say this is a framed set from the Philadelphia Comicfest 1993, but it doesn't say anywhere on the front or back, so I probably copied it from the auction I won.

I also have a S1 autographed by Neil Gaiman with a Skybox emboss and numbered /250 promo. Same kind as in the frame.

These stuff are pretty cool and sometimes I find out about them on ebay years after the set came out. Right now, I am looking for any of those 6 card uncut sheets that I am missing.

Thanks,
David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David,

It's amazing all of these unknown things that surface years after the fact

John Oder posted a few months back on a previously unknown (to most of us) Images of Shadowhawk 9 card set of gold foil bordered promos that come in a huge, 8 x 11 toploader with a seal of authenticity. The regular promos which came in Cards Illustrated are ultra common, but I'd NEVER seen gold bordered versions OR ones that came sealed in a toploader, even though the sticker on it is numbered in the thousands.

Incidentally, I'm still looking for some of those 1993 Marvel Universe 3 card red foil sheets by Skybox that come sealed in the plastic holders, with the con logos on the backs. Why are they so tough to find if thousands were made ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
Picture of maester samwell
posted Hide Post
quote:
David,

David,
Do you know of any documentation or promotional material that talks about the official red signed silver promos? I was lucky enough to get a original letter from Skybox that came with a Dream Silver card I bought. Just wondering if you have or seen something similar for the official red signed ones. Thanks!

Posts: 9 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: August 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
David,

John Oder posted a few months back on a previously unknown (to most of us) Images of Shadowhawk 9 card set of gold foil bordered promos that come in a huge, 8 x 11 toploader with a seal of authenticity. The regular promos which came in Cards Illustrated are ultra common, but I'd NEVER seen gold bordered versions OR ones that came sealed in a toploader, even though the sticker on it is numbered in the thousands.

Incidentally, I'm still looking for some of those 1993 Marvel Universe 3 card red foil sheets by Skybox that come sealed in the plastic holders, with the con logos on the backs. Why are they so tough to find if thousands were made ?

I would love to find any of those collectors who bought non sports cards in the "hey days" of non-sports. Boxes in thousands, promos in thousands. They must be in boxes/garages of these long gone collectors. Unless they were destroyed. Who knows. I would love those collectors to just turn around and let us buy the good stuff. Oh well.

David

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maester samwell:
quote:
David,

David,
Do you know of any documentation or promotional material that talks about the official red signed silver promos? I was lucky enough to get a original letter from Skybox that came with a Dream Silver card I bought. Just wondering if you have or seen something similar for the official red signed ones. Thanks!

Uh... you want me to answer? Or David R above to answer?Smile

Sorry, no letter. I do love those Skybox letters. I have one from Batman. I guess those "letters" and Skybox promo checklist cards are stuff I gotta hunt down for my collections.

No, like I mentioned in an earlier posting, it is something that I wouldnt impose on another person, because I can't prove anything I said. All I know is that my best friend asked Neil Gaiman at a show about the different colors used for signing silver promos and Neil said the red ink is the real thing.

So, like I mentioned in the earlier posting: Buyer beware. If you are comfortable with the story, ok, if not, don't bother buying them or do so at a lower cost point.

The best thing I can say, ask NeilSmile Of course, I can't guarantee the same answer after all these years.

David

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nope !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So glad I came across this thread!

My wife and I were going through her Sandman card collection over the weekend- something we haven't done in over 18 years- and came across the Delirium silver border card.

Neither of us can remember how we got it, but we were more puzzled by the autograph. A friend of ours who was also looking through the cards, spotted the auto and couldn't believe we didn't tell her we had met Neil Gaiman at a show. Did we? We couldn't remember!

After coming across this thread, we decided he never signed the card in person (And I guess we never met him. Booo!), because it has the red signature.

Posts: 32 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
there was a UNCUT Silver Promo Set Sent thru Diamond (VERY LIMITED)...been looking for a while....haven't seen it in years

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post

still hunting the UNCUT SHEET

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
After years of looking, I finally found one of the Sandman Silver border promos (Delirium) signed in red by Gaiman on the back. Looks genuine but who knows.... Now all I need are the others and the uncut sheet. BTW these are not listed in PCE. I love this hobby. So many promos, So little time!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is a Delirium signed in red on the back, you know where, asking price $ 100 +

And as mentioned in the other Sandman post, an unframed sheet, the one #to 4444, is also up for grabs. I haven't seen one of those in years.

Posts: 3995 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A set of the silver border prototypes sold for $255 last month with 29 bids. A single silver border prototype, "Delirium," sold for $30 with 8 bids earlier today.

I have been watching for these. In the past couple of years they have sold consistently in the $20-40 each. I saw one sell for as much as $60 and as little as $15 but $20-40 seems to be the going rate and those two sales support that as well. Interest in these has certainly recovered in the past few years. It wasn't that long ago when you could have found a set for $75. Before 2008, these cards were in demand and going for at least $30 each.

Jess

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
And I just won a red signature Gaiman signed silver delirium promo! It was by a seller I follow on eBay. Spent the week watching and I am excitedly awaiting arrival!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A set of 7 silver-bordered prototypes sold as a Best Offer somewhere south of $299 (so maybe $250-275?) on Jan 16. That's a little higher than the range they've been going for (roughly $20-40) but you get them all.

and one lot of 4 prototypes sold for $113.83 with 7 bids on Jan 9.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A Desire prototype sold for $75 on May 6. That's right up there with the highest price I've ever seen one go for. I think one sold for that about 15 years ago. I wouldn't say that bumps up the going rate yet as it might be just an isolated case of someone willing to pay up to complete their set but it certainly indicates that a recent sale of $60 might not be an unusually high price for much longer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32459...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Seven years later, I was wondering if anyone had observations in the past on which silver foil prototypes seemed to be more common even though 1500 of each were printed. I have been checking on these on and off over the past several years. These days, Dream and Despair seem to be more often seen for sale with Destiny, Destruction, and Death seldom offered. Delirium and Desire seem somewhere in between.

quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
From being around for 20 years, the most common silver foil cards I have seen are dream, death and desire. So, more of these reached dealers hands? Just a guess.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The thing about those 6-card sheets is that there are at least 4 different 7 7/8 x 9 1/4-inch sheets of 6 base cards as follows: 20, 15, 62, 8, 23, 16; 51, 59, 67, 52, 60, 24; 27, 35, 43, 18, 36, 44; 53, 75, 22, 54, 21, 70. They don't come up for sale often so you have to watch for them. The good news is that they tend to sell for just $5-10 (sometimes more). The Sandman/Gaiman collectors hang onto theirs so the ones that come up for sale are from dealers or casual collectors who don't know how they were distributed.

quote:
Originally posted by dpolis:
I collect sandman cards. Didn't collect vertigo though.

I am still looking for a few more 6 card uncut sheets and a couple of elusive promos with "sandman" written across the back, I think. Not sure where they are from. There are two different ones if I remember correctly. There is a rumored death skydisc in a wooden box/case but I have no idea if it is true though.

Thanks,
David

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one of the 6-card sheets. It contains card numbers 51, 59, 67, 52, 60, and 24.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

posted Hide Post
That's an old posting you answered, 8 years old.

Anyway, I have these 6 card uncut sheets:

2 11 84 69 12 4
3 9 1 7 10 17
22 75 53 70 21 54
28 13 5 68 14 6
41 33 25 42 34 26
43 35 27 44 36 18
47 39 31 48 40 32
62 15 20 16 23 8
67 59 51 24 60 52
71 63 55 72 64 56
65 57 49 66 58 19

That leaves any 6 card sheets with these numbers left to find (there's 4 sheets that I am missing):

29, 30, 37, 38, 45, 46, 50, 61, 73, 74, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90

Thanks,
David

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
The thing about those 6-card sheets is that there are at least 4 different 7 7/8 x 9 1/4-inch sheets of 6 base cards as follows: 20, 15, 62, 8, 23, 16; 51, 59, 67, 52, 60, 24; 27, 35, 43, 18, 36, 44; 53, 75, 22, 54, 21, 70. They don't come up for sale often so you have to watch for them. The good news is that they tend to sell for just $5-10 (sometimes more). The Sandman/Gaiman collectors hang onto theirs so the ones that come up for sale are from dealers or casual collectors who don't know how they were distributed.

quote:
Originally posted by dpolis:
I collect sandman cards. Didn't collect vertigo though.

I am still looking for a few more 6 card uncut sheets and a couple of elusive promos with "sandman" written across the back, I think. Not sure where they are from. There are two different ones if I remember correctly. There is a rumored death skydisc in a wooden box/case but I have no idea if it is true though.

Thanks,
David