Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    1994 Skybox Sandman Silver Foils
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1994 Skybox Sandman Silver Foils
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
Picture of maester samwell
posted
As a collector of Sandman memorabilia, I recently became aware of, and then smitten with, this beautiful set of promo cards. I need the Destruction card (card #6) to complete the set. I will trade 2-for-1 with any of the duplicates I've acquired.

• Dream (card #1) BGS 7
  • Desire (card #3) 2 NM, ungraded copies
  • Delirium (card #5) BGS 8 with Neil Gaiman autograph on back, Signed in Red, JSA certified 10
  • Delirium (card #5) BGS 8

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maester samwell,

Posts: 9 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: August 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are also ones for the Vertigo set, as well !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
There are also ones for the Vertigo set, as well !

Yeah, those are nice too, especially the Sandman, Swamp Thing, and Hellblazer cards. Too bad some of my favorite Vertigo titles aren't included (Preacher, Fables, Y: the Last Man) b/c they didn't exist yet!

Posts: 9 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: August 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Vertigo II was actually announced for the following year and it might've included "Preacher" at least, but the Vertigo I card set was such an incredible flop, the followup set was cancelled. I'm not ever sure if a promo card was made for it.

Vertigo boxes are still available inexpensively nearly 20 years later, and that's with an amazing "Death" SkyMotion hologram in every 6th box. I think they based the print run for the Vertigo cards on how successful the previous year's "Sandman" set in the same oversized format had been, but the overall popularity of cards in general was already waning by the next year, and beyond that, the Vertigo set featured a number of subjects far less popular than the Sandman. There is an AMAZING Jonah Hex card in that set in the style of a playing card with art by Tim Truman. I still need to get one of those autographed someday.

I did get the "Hellblazer" chase card from the Vertigo set signed by Preacher creator Garth Ennis at Comic-Con back in the 1990's, so that's pretty cool. Garth wrote "Hellblazer" and "The Demon" for DC leading up to when he unleashed "Preacher" which is one of my favorite series, too. I have a couple of pages of the orginal art (the big revelation of what was in Odin's private room in #48 and the next page upon which Jesse shows him some "mercy", Preacher-style).

I'd show them here, but this is a family forum!

Good luck on the Silver Foils for both sets. I still don't have any of them. Amazing that you could get even a box of Sandman cards (which were good sellers) for less than cost of even one of the promo Silver foils these days!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember well when Sandman came out in 1994. I believe the gold chase came 2 per box (yes ?) and there was a lot of frustration that it would take so many boxes to complete the set of 7. These were the days before ebay !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looking at Jeff Allender's website for Vertigo, he lists an "Endless Delirium" signed promo card. What is that ???

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Yes, two gold cards a box. I got 3 boxes 20 years ago and still have yet to pick up the last gold boarder card I need!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking at Jeff Allender's website for Vertigo, he lists an "Endless Delirium" signed promo card. What is that ???

Probably the 3rd card shown on this page.
http://www.worthpoint.com/wort...omo-prototype-card-4

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That is one of the Sandman prototypes

He lists it under the Vertigo set, so I think he has a mistake there

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Good luck on the Silver Foils for both sets. I still don't have any of them.

Is this the kind of thing that might be found at card shows or is ebay pretty much my best bet?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have the Sandman promo sheet that came in the frame, with the seal, numbered out of 4444

Not sure why it is so hard to find. I have never seen one on ebay, and it took me years to locate one !

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Yes, while most of those cards pre-date Ebay, they were distributed to dealers who had actual stores back then, and a lot of time even to those dealers who mainly sold sports cards and wouldn't have any idea what they were. Most of them were sold or given away way back then, and most of the dealers that received them originally are long out of business. Ebay is definitely your best bet for them. Full sets seem to be listed for $75 at the lowest, not terrible at $15 per card, but since those don't sell instantly, even that's probably a little high. There are singles for $30 or so, which is way too high. The Sandman ones might be worth that but the Vertigo set just isn't as popular, especially since 3 of the cards feature Books of Magic, Sandman Mystery Theatre, and Shade. Those are all well-regarded series that all lasted at least 6 years, but they are not especially collected these days, like Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, and Sandman are. Indeed, that trio of characters are currently being published in new stories, and Hellblazer has been published pretty much non-stop for about 25 years now.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Those are the red signed silver promos. Only 3 were signed in the
Proper red ink on the back. Any other color ink are show signed cards (ie silver or black for example).

David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I collect sandman cards. Didn't collect vertigo though.

I am still looking for a few more 6 card uncut sheets and a couple of elusive promos with "sandman" written across the back, I think. Not sure where they are from. There are two different ones if I remember correctly. There is a rumored death skydisc in a wooden box/case but I have no idea if it is true though.

Thanks,
David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Dave, how hard are those signed silver cards to find ? Are there 3 different or 3 total ?

However, the Delirium card is from the Sandman set. Jeff lists it under Vertigo, in error

Just wanted to see if we're talking about the SAME Delirium card

posted Hide Post
quote:
Dave, how hard are those signed silver cards to find ? Are there 3 different or 3 total ?

However, the Delirium card is from the Sandman set. Jeff lists it under Vertigo, in error

Just wanted to see if we're talking about the SAME Delirium card

I don't know about this delirium card. About it being in the wrong listing. That is another topic.

I should have made it clear that the red signed silver promos I mentioned are from sandman. That is the only set out of these two I collected.

I am just talking about something that wasn't mentioned in this topic: in sandman there are 3 silver promos with red ink, all signed by Neil gaiman.

I'll be happy to list the exact three on Monday after I look at the cards I have.

They do show up on eBay, but you need patience and wait for them to show up. They are more expensive than regular silver promos though. They are different only in the sense that they are signed. In other words, they don't have different pictures/numbers or whatnot.

The poster above has a signed silver promo, but I don't know if it is red or on the back. You'll have to ask him.

David

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
The poster above has a signed silver promo, but I don't know if it is red or on the back. You'll have to ask him.

Well this is interesting. I do have a Delirium that is signed in red on the back. If the card is the same and just the ink is different, couldn't it have just been signed like that by Gaiman at a random book signing?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maester samwell:
quote:

Well this is interesting. I do have a Delirium that is signed in red on the back. If the card is the same and just the ink is different, couldn't it have just been signed like that by Gaiman at a random book signing?

Yes, like I mentioned in an earlier posting, red is the "official" color and gaiman said he used it only for these "official signed cards" and he used black or silver inks at show signings when fans asked him to sign silver promos.

Of course there is one flaw about this saying, "take my word for it". So buyer beware. Or you can try to confirm with gaiman. After so many years, I don't know. All I know is that reds are still pretty rare. I bought mine way back then. I don't know how things changed if at all over time.

Normally, I prefer to see something that shows it is "official" and not take a persons word for it. Example of lack of "official" are series 1 and 2 sw galaxy autographed cards. They are the same as show signed common cards. Another one are groo autographed cards. Sergio apparently said he only signs #1 and 19 at shows, but I don't know, so I passed on them due to a lack of the cards being "official" autographed cards. What I like for ease of mind for "official" are numbering, stamp, original card, different back, different foil, etc.

I guess I accept it for myself because silver promos are rare to begin with and I only collected the 3 red signed cards. I'll check tomorrow which 3 I have. Maybe we can figure out why only these 3 were signed out of 7.

David

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dpolis,

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Maybe they were held back for him to sign. From being around for 20 years, the most common silver foil cards I have seen are dream, death and desire. So, more of these reached dealers hands? Just a guess.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for explaining that, David. I look forward to hearing which 3 of the silver promos got the official red signature.