Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Superior Galleries Collection Prototype 1992 - Sterling Cards Inc.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Superior Galleries Collection Prototype 1992 - Sterling Cards Inc.
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
Page 146 of the 2008 PCE has an entry for a Superior Galleries Collection prototype card being one of 20,000 promoting a sports memorabilia auction house. Unfortunately no image is available

I have a card from the same company promoting either the same or a similar auction for July 8 & 10 1992. This card is numbered 2 on the back in the top right hand corner and is one of 70,000. See images below, does anyone have a copy of the card mentioned in the 2008 PCE to compare it against?

front
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

back
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John, there are definitely 2 in the set.

As noted, this is what the 2 look like:

Superior Collection (1992) Sterling Cards Inc. Set number n.k.; source n.k.; photo; marked "Promotional Card" on back; back is also serial-numbered out of 70,000; back also says "The National Sports Collectors Convention Auction" and provides dates "July 8 & 10, 1992 in Atlanta, GA"; promotes a sports memorabilia auction.
1; card front shows a Boston jersey, a baseball bat, a trophy, etc.
2; card front shows a Harlem Globetrotters jersey, a Yankees jersey (Gehrig), an Olympic torch, a football, etc.

I can pull mine for you and send you a scan to post, if you need it.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David

many thanks and please can you send me a scan of the front and back of card 1.

Do you have the unnumbered card that is referred to in PCE? This would make the set 3 cards two numbered and 1 unnumbered.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Here's what I have documented for the future volume(s).

SUPERIOR COLLECTION (1992) Sterling Cards/TABB Investments. 9-card set; source not determined; backs are sequentially numbered; most marked "Prototype Card" on back; promotes a sports memorabilia auction.

□ 1 (Boston sports jersey plus other items); back says "The Official 1992 National Sports Collector's Convention Auction"; back is marked "Promotional Card" and numbered
out of 70,000

□ 2 (Harlem Globetrotters #36 jersey, plus other items); back says "The Official 1992 National Sports Collector's Convention Auction"; back is marked "Promotional Card" and numbered out of 70,000

□ 3 "Gordie Howe Game Worn Jersey"; numbered out of 35,000

□ 4 "Babe Ruth's High School Jersey"; numbered out of 35,000

□ 5 "Magic Johnson's L.A. Laker Retired Jersey"; numbered out of 70,000

□ 6 "Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Game Worn Jersey"; numbered out of 35,000

□ n.n. "1911 Sporting Life Uncut Sheet"; marked "1992 Promotional Card" on back; numbered out of 70,000

□ n.n. "1954 Unopened Topps"; marked "1992 Promotional Card" on back; numbered out of 70,000

□ n.n.; marked "1992 Prototype" on back; numbered out of 20,000

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here you go, David and John.

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
John, there are definitely 2 in the set.

As noted, this is what the 2 look like:

Superior Collection (1992) Sterling Cards Inc. Set number n.k.; source n.k.; photo; marked "Promotional Card" on back; back is also serial-numbered out of 70,000; back also says "The National Sports Collectors Convention Auction" and provides dates "July 8 & 10, 1992 in Atlanta, GA"; promotes a sports memorabilia auction.
1; card front shows a Boston jersey, a baseball bat, a trophy, etc.
2; card front shows a Harlem Globetrotters jersey, a Yankees jersey (Gehrig), an Olympic torch, a football, etc.

I can pull mine for you and send you a scan to post, if you need it.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looking at the card directly above, it doesn't match Todd's description of card #1. It doesn't show a Boston jersey, it doesn't mention the National and it's numbered out of 20,000 - not 70,000. It's hard to read but it's stamped/printed "1992 Prototype" diagonally in gray across the back. There must be two cards numbered 1.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looking at Todd's list shown above I also have #3 on the list Gordie Howe's Game Worn Jersey'

regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I found an image of the front and back of the card Todd listed. It has the card number in black like the #2 card with both noting the National unlike the others with a black number within a white diamond and not noting the National so they might be considered a separate set.