Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Republic Pictures VHS inserts

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/274605453/m/9597040996

July 27, 2022, 03:46 PM
catskilleagle
Republic Pictures VHS inserts
From around 1992 to 1995 Republic Pictures released special VHS anniversary editions of its movies from the 1940's and 50's. Some of these had a special sticker on the front to let you know one or two cards (a miniature reproduction of the movie and sometimes also one of a lobby card) were inserted with the video. The cards are blank-backed and oversized - roughly 4 x 6 but at least one is a little smaller. There doesn't appear to be a checklist anywhere so the set number is unknown. These are movies from when they were filmed in black-and-white but the posters and lobby cards were colorful so if you're into movie cards, you might want to add a few to your collection.

Here are two cards that were inserted with the specially-marked 45th Anniversary VHS edition (1995) of "Rio Grande," a movie from rather early in John Wayne's career. The top card is a miniature reproduction of the movie poster and measures 3 7/8 x 5 11/16 inches. The bottom one is the same size and is a miniature reproduction of a lobby card.

I've seen other cards. Some of the special editions have just one card inserted. All the ones I've seen are blank-backed. They're nice, colorful cards - great stuff for the movie card collector. Most of the ones I've seen are for John Wayne movies.
July 28, 2022, 01:08 AM
catskilleagle
This one was inserted with the special 1998 VHS edition of "The Fighting Kentuckian" (Republic Pictures, 1949). It's a 3 7/8 x 5 11/16-inch miniature reproduction of an original lobby card. It's unusual for the set in that the video packaging does not mark it as a special anniversary edition but it does bear a sticker noting that a card is inside.

July 28, 2022, 01:40 AM
catskilleagle
You can find a 40th anniversary VHS edition of "High Noon," the classic western. I haven't seen one with a sticker saying there's a card inside but have seen at least one seller offering a used video with two cards so it's possible that there are cards with unmarked videos.

There is a special collector's boxed edition celebrating the 40th anniversary. It comes with an exclusive book, one miniature poster reproduction and four miniature lobby card reproductions. I haven't run across a similar edition of any of the other movies.
July 31, 2022, 03:17 AM
catskilleagle
This 3 7/8 x 5 1/8-inch card inserted with the specially-marked 40th Anniversary VHS edition of the "The Quiet Man" was available in 1992. It's a miniature reproduction of an original lobby card. Look for a sticker on the shrink-wrap noting that a card is inside.

July 31, 2022, 08:29 PM
chesspieceface
These are great, thanks for the images and descriptions!

August 01, 2022, 04:10 AM
catskilleagle
Yes, great cards and I don't mind that these and the Paramount cards are oversized either. You get a little more of the lobby card and poster impact - more of a cinematic feel with the colors and graphics closer to the size they were designed for. They fit fine in 2-pocket pages even when slipped into the sleeves made for postcards.

These movies are from my parents' time though "The Quiet Man" was actually released before they were born. I like movie cards so I picked up a few of them especially since you can still find the sealed and stickered VHS for less than $10 with shipping if you watch for them.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
These are great, thanks for the images and descriptions!

August 01, 2022, 04:35 AM
catskilleagle
Here's another one but this one is different in that you get two miniature reproduction lobby cards with the specially-stickered 30th Anniversary VHS edition of "Father Goose" which was available in 1994. The additional difference here is that the cards are connected as a fold-out measuring 4 x 10 1/8 inches when folded-out. At first, I thought it was mistakenly inserted uncut but the red sticker does say "reproduction" rather than "reproductions."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
August 20, 2022, 06:57 PM
catskilleagle
Here's the miniature lobby card reproduction that was inserted with the special 50th anniversary edition of "The Fighting Seabees" VHS. It measures 4 x 4 7/8 inches - a little smaller than the Quiet Man card. Unlike the other cards, this one is marked on the front as a 50th anniversary edition.

The video packaging bears a red sticker noting that a card is inside.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
January 19, 2023, 12:07 PM
catskilleagle
This card measures 3 7/8 x 5 1/8 inches and was inserted with the 50th anniversary edition of "Flying Tigers." I had found a sealed video which had a gold sticker that said a card was inserted.

January 19, 2023, 12:25 PM
Tommy C
Very nice.

About 10 years ago, some company released most (if not all) of the Elvis Presley 1950s/60s films on DVDs, and each DVD came with its own postcard sized card included. I only saw a few, but it seems as if each of the 30 or so Elvis films had its own card.