Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Golden Apple 10th Anniversary cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Golden Apple 10th Anniversary cards
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has information about these cards? I just happened to see on on ebay because I was looking for something else with the same name: "Groo", he happened to be on card #12.

Golden Apple if I am correct is a comic shop in the Los Angeles area.

So how big are these cards? They are supposed to be oversized? Also do any of you guys know who is on the others?

Thanks,
David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
They are somewhat oversized apparently, 4.25" X 5.5"

I don't have any of my own but didn't like to see your post go unheeded for so long.

Here's a partial checklist from an auction from 4 years ago, not one of mine.

They don't surface often, it seems, so good luck!

Number 4 HAWK & DOVE by LIEFELD & KESEL

Number 5 BATMAN AND STARFIRE by CHUCK PATTON

Number 6 BETTY PAGE by DAVE STEVENS

Number 7 THE MAZE AGENCY by ADAM HUGHES

Number 8 SCOTT SHAW & FRIENDS by SCOTT SHAW

Number 9 USAGI YOJIMBO by STAN SAKAI

Number 10 FLAMING CARROT by BOB BURDEN

Number 12 GROO THE WANDERER by SERGIO ARAGONES

Number 16 MIGHTY MARVEL ANNIVERSARY GREETINGS by JOHN ROMITA, Sr.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate your response!

I wanted to check the list just incase there is an "oddball" Star Wars cardSmile

Thanks for the list!

David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at some of these cards online for a couple of years. Unfortunately, sellers want a ton of money (as in $75-200 each) for them even though almost every one I've seen is less than Near-Mint - often with at least one damaged corner and/or creased. They have been fishing for the desperate even before the current card craze. They are uncommon but don't push for the Mint price for cards that might not even be Excellent. I've noticed that when they are offered in auctions, EX-NRMT cards actually sell for $10-30. I missed out on some recent auctions that appeared when I wasn't checking.

I would be careful if you're thinking of buying one because some of the ones I've seen appear to have been trimmed at the top and bottom borders at least. Keep in mind these cards were originally 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 inches and should not be smaller along either of those dimensions.

Here's an updated checklist (I still haven't seen three of the cards):

No. 1 "The Hernandez Brothers"
No. 2 "The Punisher by Jim Lee"
No. 3 "Matt Groening"
No. 4 "Hawk & Dove by Liefeld and Kesel"
No. 5 "Batman and Starfire by Chuck Patton"
No. 6 "Dave Stevens" (Betty Page art) sold for $16.27 w/ 5 bids on 3-8-21 and $15.75 w/3 bids on 2-6-21; one sold for less than $75 on 11-13-21 5with a Best Offer so I'm guessing maybe $55-65?; one sold for $21.32 after 5 bids on 6-2-23; one sold for $24.95 on 7-15-23; one sold for $24.95 on 7-23-23; a signed one sold for $35.99 after 3 bids on 7-25-23; on sold for $29.95 on 7-27-23
No. 7 "The Maze Agency by Adam Hughes" - has sold for $10-20
No. 8 "Scott Shaw & Friends by Scott Shaw"
No. 9 "Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai"
No. 10 "Flaming Carrot by Bob Burden"
No. 11 "Batman by Denys Cowan"
No. 12 "Groo The Wanderer by Sergio Aragones" sold for $59.27 4-10-21,
No. 13 unknown
No. 14 "Golden Apple Graffiti Board" - has sold for about $60
No. 15 unknown
No. 16 "'Mighty Marvel Anniversary Greetings' by John Romita" - has sold for about $60; one sold for $225 on 11-12-21

Here's the No. 9 card:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is Card # 2. The Punisher by Jim Lee.

https://www.worthpoint.com/wor...nniversary-411881844

Posts: 3993 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I updated the checklist above.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Here is Card # 2. The Punisher by Jim Lee.

https://www.worthpoint.com/wor...nniversary-411881844

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what it sold for?

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

No, and as you know, these cards have wild price ranges. I've seen a #7 card sell for as little as $7 and the most I've seen any of them sell for is $225 for the #16. Nearly all the ones I've seen for sale would be graded less than NM. Usually, there's at least one creased/worn corner and a couple of nicks along the edges but a card like that can still go for $50 or more. That tells me that they have become rare and those who have been looking for particular ones will overlook dings to get an otherwise decent example. Sellers have been trying to get between $150-300 each online but I've seen one actually sell for more than $100 just once.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Does anyone know what it sold for?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The link says that the Punisher card sold 9 years ago in February 2013.

But it won't tell me the price unless you pay $11.99

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A No. 16 card sold on 6-6-23 for $99. It's in nice condition too - probably grade NM.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13459...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's an image for the #16 card so we have it after the listing expires.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Some of these have been selling for as low as $ 25 recently.

I wonder why card # 2 never shows up on ebay while all of the other ones do ? Aside from the 2 unknown ones.

Posts: 3993 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I updated my checklist above with the sold prices from the past couple of months.

As for why #2 doesn't seem to come up for sale, it's possible that fewer people visited the store to get that card in the time allowed. It's possible more collectors chose to keep that one for some reason (cool action shot).

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Some of these have been selling for as low as $ 25 recently.

I wonder why card # 2 never shows up on ebay while all of the other ones do ? Aside from the 2 unknown ones.