Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever wonder?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Why there are so many bland and boring promo cards? It's as if someone forgot what the purpose of the card was to begin with.

Posts: 4853 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Which ones do you think are bland or boring?

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Why there are so many bland and boring promo cards? It's as if someone forgot what the purpose of the card was to begin with.

Posts: 4382 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Promos tend to take on the properties of the product. They generally look like a typical base card in whatever design. So if its a high quality gloss and foil set, it will have some of that. Otherwise its just a normal unadorned card. I can't recall ever seeing a promo card that was made better than the product, unless you are talking about a couple of those limited promos given specifically to certain participates that are really incentive cards.

Also the hobby has been hampered for almost two years now as card shows and store events have been curtailed. Not a lot of places to hand out promos that would juice sales.

Another question might be, do card makers and/or card collectors believe that promo cards do increase sales? Or is it only an expected perk these days? Or it wouldn't matter either way?

Speaking only for myself, I have never bought into a card set just because of a promo. Either I was going to buy it anyway or I wasn't interested in the title. However I have bought other merchandise because of a promo that I saw someplace and didn't know about the product.

Posts: 10398 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post