Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

impel promo packs
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted
Impel was the modern innovator of promo cards and they almost invariably distributed some form of advance card(s) prior to a set's release. Some of their first promo cards were distributed in "cello" packs. Two that come to mind are the 1991 Star Trek 25th Anniversary cards and the Terminator ones of that same year. sacrilege! I have opened a "promo" pack of each and In my observation, however, I haven't been able to find any dissimilarities between the cards they included in those early promo packs, and the corresponding numbered card in the set. In your experience, have you noticed any differences in color, trademark, etc.., however slight, between the 2? Has your experience been the same or have you discovered variations?

Posts: 867 | Location: fort lauderdale fl usa | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

I've seen the Star Trek packs but I don't have any. In the past the word was they were all just base cards. There's a pack with "The Immunity Syndrome" on the top and card 226 on the bottom. There's another pack that has "Romulans" on the top and card 130 on the bottom.

Here's the #226 card back in the cello-pack. I don't have that base card nor the #130 base card but maybe someone else can look at this one any say if there is any difference in the way the text is organized or the way the copyright information is provided. If someone can hold both cards side-by-side, there may be a difference in the finish (matte/flat vs. glossy/shiny).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 1802 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the card 130 back for comparison to the corresponding base card:

Posts: 1802 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I've checked the text. No difference. I'm more inclined to believe that if there are any differences at all, it would be with hue, color variations.

Posts: 867 | Location: fort lauderdale fl usa | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Didn't the cards in the sample packs of the first Marvel set from Impel have variations compared to the "normal" cards?

Posts: 1486 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
So if these are just base cards does this mean they are a promo item if sealed in the pack but just plain base cards if taken out.

Posts: 28377 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,

That discussion is here and it contains a link to another one about those cards:

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....4605453/m/1927018496

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Didn't the cards in the sample packs of the first Marvel set from Impel have variations compared to the "normal" cards?

posted Hide Post
Both Wixiban and Jeff Allender's House of Cards list the following for Star Trek: The 25th Anniversary Series I:

37 Without diamond symbol, from cello pack of five
86 Without diamond symbol, from cello pack of five
128 Without diamond symbol, from cello pack of five
130 Without diamond symbol, from cello pack of five
133 Without diamond symbol, from cello pack of five
37 With diamond symbol
86 With diamond symbol
128 With diamond symbol
130 With diamond symbol
133 With diamond symbol

Both sites indicate Series II only had a three-card cello pack (#171, #195, and #226).

Based solely on pictures from eBay, I'd say the cards in the cello packs are identical to the base cards.

I've never seen individual cards with a diamond symbol, but a 4-up promo panel with cards #37, #128, #130, and #133 does have grey diamonds printed on the back of the cards. Here's a photo from an eBay auction:

Posts: 13 | Location: The World | Registered: August 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post