Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Interesting Promo Auction
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting Promo Auction
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
A 1993 Marvel SkyBox promo package. Sold for $ 137.50 !!!

The card itself is probably worth 25 cents

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Promo...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Well that is certainly interesting.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What was in that envelope that induced the buyer to spend that kind of money ? 16 bids placed !

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if it's a case of a couple of master collectors, and presumably big Marvel fans, going after anything connected to a favorite set right down to the unspectacular contents of a dealer packet sent out by Skybox. It's just paperwork and a common promo but it's official Skybox correspondence and it fits in a one-pocket binder page. A lot of dealers saved the promos and either gave them away or sold them but what dealer saved the paperwork? That must be almost nonexistent now especially anything from the 90's. In another thread I think was Chesspiece who mentioned someone hanging onto a similar letter from a card company as a novelty.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, I read an article about promo cards in a 1993 issue of Card Collector's Price Guide. Written by Rusty Gilligan, it might be the oldest article on promos. In it Gilligan had the opinion that a promo set is only complete if it is still with the press kit it was mailed in. Later in the article, he goes further in saying having those extra materials (sell sheets, checklists, accompanying letter, etc.) from the mailer makes the cards worth more.

Of course, since then, it has been the cards that most collectors want but it does appear that there are those who think like Gilligan. They deem the paperwork worth having too and are willing to duel it out at the end of an auction just as they would for some rare card.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Yesterday, I read an article about promo cards in a 1993 issue of Card Collector's Price Guide. Written by Rusty Gilligan, it might be the oldest article on promos.

I wrote an article about promos/prototypes in the Oct-Dec 1991 issue of NSU.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. That was from the first year of NSU. Can you post a copy of it here somewhere?

I didn't know about NSU until '95. The first one I bought was the Native Americans issue.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Yesterday, I read an article about promo cards in a 1993 issue of Card Collector's Price Guide. Written by Rusty Gilligan, it might be the oldest article on promos.

I wrote an article about promos/prototypes in the Oct-Dec 1991 issue of NSU.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What's your email address? If I can find a copy of it, I can send it to you.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1990s, Marvel sold shares of its company on Wall Street, and for awhile, sent to shareholders an exclusive "comic" in which the Hulk, Spidey, etc. told you how great the company was doing with its Toy Biz action figures and other things.

I have a few of those comics somewhere, in the opened envelopes that they came in. Wonder if they are worth anything now ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post