Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Rare 1994 Skybox Coming Soon promo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rare 1994 Skybox Coming Soon promo
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted
Here's a cool vintage promo of sorts, and a multi-set one at that as much as one views it as a promo that is.

It is a standard sized card from 1994, with a blank back, and originally came in a cello pack with some Skybox basketball promo cards, but none of the non sports sets listed on the card.

I don't know how many of the promo packs were issued, but it's probably not too likely that many who opened their pack saved the top card, as its pretty unremarkable in design, admittedly. That means it's rare almost for sure, but wanted, probably not so much except maybe by the real gotta-have-it-all types out there, we know who we are!

I have it as a Skybox Simpsons promo, since that's one of my main collecting interests, but it may be of interest to collectors of some of the other sets (Star Trek, Disney, DC Comics) listed on it, too, so I thought I'd show it off.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
While they may have found their way to the marketplace via other avenues, I know that these packs were given out at the big comic retailer conferences in 1994; the Diamond Distributing conference in Baltimore and/or the Capital City conference in St. Louis. I was fortunate enough to attend both conferences that particular year and the amount of promo stuff being handed out was extraordinary. Sigh, the good old days...

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Actually, I ahve one of those packs, still sealed and mine DOES include a Trek card. I can tell cause it's the last one in the pack, so I can see the back of it. Id yours didn't, then it's likely the packs were random/

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was a promo pack like that in 1995 as well. It had a release schedule card (blank back) for Skybox sports and non-sports sets but contained no sports promos. It did have the Gargoyles S1 prototype, Pocahontas S1 prototype, The Simpsons Skycaps Lisa Simpson prototype pog, ST:TNG Season 2 S1 prototype, and the Youngblood N1 promo.

Edit: This pack lists:

Star Trek NG Episodes II
Skybox Premium Basketball II ('94-'95)
Batman & Robin
Gargoyles I
Lois & Clark
Extreme/Youngblood
Indy 500
Disney Premium
NBA E-Motion
Star Trek Voyager
Pocahontas

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the 1994 card, I have seen sealed packs with this card "you know where" that do not contain sports cards, but instead contain a Simpsons tattoo from the 94 set. Auctions say they were from the 94 National show

The auctions claim that these packs "usually contain a Lion King card and an Instant Winner" card, but the ones the seller had does not seem to show these. Unless maybe they are inside the packs and cannot be seen ?

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I opened a couple of those packs. They have four cards: the release schedule, a random regular Lion King card, a random regular football card, and a random regular Simpsons tattoo (first Skybox series) with the tattoo showing on the bottom of the pack.

I guess the seller can tell if there's an Instant Winner card inside and sells those separately.

I also have one of the packs that has the same schedule card with basketball cards (USA Basketball NBA update) as noted by Chesspiece.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
On the 1994 card, I have seen sealed packs with this card "you know where" that do not contain sports cards, but instead contain a Simpsons tattoo from the 94 set. Auctions say they were from the 94 National show

The auctions claim that these packs "usually contain a Lion King card and an Instant Winner" card, but the ones the seller had does not seem to show these. Unless maybe they are inside the packs and cannot be seen ?

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
While looking for something else in my collection, I found a third different Skybox release schedule card, each one lists a different combination of set releases. This one is in a 3-card pack with a random one of the four Pocahontas "blue back" promos and the Disney Premium P2. The schedule card lists:

'95-'96 Hoops I
DC Villains I
Bill Nye The Science Guy
Star Trek NG Episodes III
E-Motion Baseball
Mortal Combat
Creators Master Series
Premium Football
Cinderella

I think there's a 4th different card but haven't found an example.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I would have sworn that I had seen one of these Skybox release schedule cards with "Home Improvement" at the top and I did find it. It's the header card of a promo pack given out at the 1994 Capital City Retailer Conference in St. Louis. Other cards in the pack are: Lion King S1, Simpsons II P1 and P2, a random base card from Seaquest DSV, an unnumbered USA Basketball: NBA Update card, Ultraverse Edition: Skybox Master Series P01 "Book" with Capital City stamp on the back, Creator's Edition: Skybox Master Series P01 "Dr. Phobic" with Capital City stamp on the back, and DC Master Series C1 "Doomsday" with Capital City stamp in color on the back.

Below is a scan of the three schedule cards other than the one Chesspiece shows. The first card is the one noted in the previous paragraph. The second one was the header in a three card pack that included a Pocahontas "blue back" promo and the Disney Premium P2. The third one was the header in a promo pack given out at the National Sports Collectors Convention in 1995. All three are blank-backed.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Scans are so impersonal.

From now on will you please have a swimsuit model (preferably female), holding the cards up for a photo-op please?

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve,

I know we routinely talk about big-money cards here but photoshoots with models are expensive. You have to pay a model, a photographer, the photographer's assistant, a hair stylist, a make-up artist and they all want lunch by 1pm. You have to buy the outfits too. If it's outside, the photographer really has to like the light or we have to do the whole thing over again the next day or he's going to insist on flying to some island in the Mediterranean where he says the light is the best. Yeah, I've looked into it.

One of my friends sells fossils online, and sometimes, he asks his girlfriend or other friend to hold an expensive specimen for at least one of the photos. He says doing that has helped sell fossils in the past and one of the women even got a marriage proposal from a customer. I think she passed on that.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
Scans are so impersonal.

From now on will you please have a swimsuit model (preferably female), holding the cards up for a photo-op please?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
So, what's the problem?

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post