Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band 10-card promo set
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band 10-card promo set
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
I just spotted these while browsing the net. Not sure if they've ever been talked about here or listed on Jeff's site so I figured I'd post pics. 10-card promo set from the very first configuration of "Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band". My mother is actually a huge collector of "The Band" stuff (Rick Danko in particular) and I believe she has 1 or 2 of these sets in her collection. They were made in 1985. The set also came with a stick of bubble gum. Pretty cool cards!

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Nice, they must be part of a larger set as they are numbered 25 - 33.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, these are cool!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
That was one terriffic band!

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
I picked up that little Ringo set off the bay several yrs ago - lots of talent there.

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was just talking about this set with someone whose brother was a roadie for the James Gang. She brought it up after we agreed that the cards could not have been printed in 1985, even though that date is on the card backs. I approached the set from being a fan of the Eagles and Joe Walsh, knowing a little of their history. You're right about the set showing the first incarnation of the band because that's the only time Joe Walsh and the late, great Billy Preston were in the band together. This set promotes the band's first album which was released in 1990 so the unwritten date must be 1989-1990.

I think the 1985 date on the cards has to do with the photographer's credit.

The gum has the same generic type of wrapper as the Foot Locker athletes promo set.

Jess

P.S. Joe Walsh isn't on many cards and neither is Billy Preston. The Ringo Starr All-Starr Band card is probably the best photo of Preston. I think the Sgt. Peppers cards show him from more of s distance.

quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
I just spotted these while browsing the net. Not sure if they've ever been talked about here or listed on Jeff's site so I figured I'd post pics. 10-card promo set from the very first configuration of "Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band". My mother is actually a huge collector of "The Band" stuff (Rick Danko in particular) and I believe she has 1 or 2 of these sets in her collection. They were made in 1985. The set also came with a stick of bubble gum. Pretty cool cards!

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The set is only 10 cards. I don't know why the numbering is that way but Big League Cards printed a lot of small issue promo sets and that might just be its company numbering accounting for all the cards on a sheet or for all the different cards they printed that year.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Nice, they must be part of a larger set as they are numbered 25 - 33.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Wow Jess, it took you 3 years to answer my comment. Eek

People normally forget my comments in 3 minutes. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Why, I'm insulted. I remember your comments for at least five minutes, wolfie.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
The current Ringo band is also very talented.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
He sings that song "I'm the Greatest" which reminds me of myself.

No brag, just pure (totally) unjustified egomania!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, I wanted to choose my words carefully and there's also the fact that I type slow.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Wow Jess, it took you 3 years to answer my comment. Eek

People normally forget my comments in 3 minutes. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one of the cards featuring Dr. John who passed away last year.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is an ebay auction which says these came out in 1989.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Are these locally distributed cards? I very listed some Big League cards in the past but im not sure they belong in PCE.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Todd,

While I understand that you might want to avoid listing every local radio station, tourist trap, and museum giveaway, I think Ringo Starr cards make the guide. First of all, he's a Beatle. He should get in just because of that even if the cards were only available at one small town feed store in Maine. Second, he was a successful artist on his own and then he launched his All-Starr Band with several noted musicians in and out of the group over the years. Anyone who collects Beatles, music, or entertainment trading cards in general would want to know about these cards and the people who already have them would want to know what they were going for.

These cards include other music legends:

Clarence Clemons
Rick Danko (The Band)
Levon Helm (The Band)
Jim Keltner ("session cat" and touring band member for several big names, Harrison, Lennon, Streisand, Cocker, etc.)
Nils Lofgren
Billy Preston
Joe Walsh
Dr. John

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
Are these locally distributed cards? I very listed some Big League cards in the past but im not sure they belong in PCE.

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
yeah you're right. They do belong in the book. This thing is becoming a monster. It's currently 100 pages more than the 2008 volume.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One of these sets sold on April 16 for something less than $39.99 as a Best Offer ($30-35?). That's the most I've seen it go for - more of a $10-20 item previously but packs seem to pop for sale just once every couple of years now. The auction shows all the cards. And yeah, the gum is stale so don't chew it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17524...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I found an image showing the full set...and the gum: