Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Babe cards (Sanitarium, 1995) for the movie about the pig
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Babe cards (Sanitarium, 1995) for the movie about the pig
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Years ago, I bought the Babe 16-card set by Sanitarium. Does anyone know if the cards were distributed one at a time in food products or if they were sold only as a set. I understand they were available in Australia and maybe New Zealand.

The scans below show the front of card #1 (all fronts show scenes from the movie) and the back of card #2 (all backs show colorful artwork).

Thanks,

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
All Sanatarium cards in New Zealand are obtained by buying the product depending on the size and type of product dictates how many cards were included EG 1 , 2 , 3.
As far as I know the only items you can buy from Sanitarium are Albums, Posters, Tins to put the cards into
They do operate a swap service
in the 40s 50s if you sent in enough swaps you sometimes got a complete uncut sheet these are now like hens teeth
There was in some of the earlier sets uncut pairs issued
Since 1999 all sets issued wich is one set a year have been about the New Zealand Rugby All Blacks
Australia have mostly different cards to the New Zealand ones but in the eighties some of them were the same

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Piko. I'll add it to the PCE additions/corrections thread listings.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
All Sanatarium cards in New Zealand are obtained by buying the product depending on the size and type of product dictates how many cards were included EG 1 , 2 , 3.
As far as I know the only items you can buy from Sanitarium are Albums, Posters, Tins to put the cards into
They do operate a swap service
in the 40s 50s if you sent in enough swaps you sometimes got a complete uncut sheet these are now like hens teeth
There was in some of the earlier sets uncut pairs issued
Since 1999 all sets issued wich is one set a year have been about the New Zealand Rugby All Blacks
Australia have mostly different cards to the New Zealand ones but in the eighties some of them were the same

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I will pull out my Sanitarium cards and check on the back of the Babe set to see if they are the same design as your one pictured
and will come up with a reply in a couple of days

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have looked at my Sanitarium Babe set and am sure it is a New Zealand set unless your one has a matt finish wich will possibly make it Australian
It was issued as a 16 card set in 1999 and your pictures line up .
As I never went for Australian cards i am sure that yours is NZ
I had to buy my Sanitarium cards that i had collected again as when i was discharged from the army i found my mother had had a clean out and my cards were included in the cleanout
A bit of usless info
Sanatarium started issuing cards in 1941 and still do today with an annual set
The product Weet Bix is made in Australia and New Zealand ( the Australian product has the NZ cards in it if manufactured at the time of the cards issue )
You can actually tell the difference between the NZ product and the Australian product .

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My cards have a glossy finish so they must be from the New Zealand set. Thanks for the extra information too.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
I have looked at my Sanitarium Babe set and am sure it is a New Zealand set unless your one has a matt finish wich will possibly make it Australian
It was issued as a 16 card set in 1999 and your pictures line up .
As I never went for Australian cards i am sure that yours is NZ
I had to buy my Sanitarium cards that i had collected again as when i was discharged from the army i found my mother had had a clean out and my cards were included in the cleanout
A bit of usless info
Sanatarium started issuing cards in 1941 and still do today with an annual set
The product Weet Bix is made in Australia and New Zealand ( the Australian product has the NZ cards in it if manufactured at the time of the cards issue )
You can actually tell the difference between the NZ product and the Australian product .

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I should add that the actual title of these cards is "Babe and Friends" and it's from 1998 - not 1995. It promotes the movie, "Babe: Pig in the City."

Jess

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
Gday Jess and Ross, I just checked my near-complete set of the Babe cards by Sanitarium, my cards are glossy and numbered up to 16 cards. The Australian release me thinks. Interestingly, my No.1 of 16 has a different back to the pic you have shown here Jess... If you could email me the easiest way to post pics here, I'll add some photos, many thanks
From memory, the cards I got were from Weet-bix cereal boxes, 1 per box here in Australia.
Great info once again Ross.. Thumb Up
Adrian

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Adrian,

The way Card Talk works is you can't upload photos to a post but you can embed a link in your post to a file that exists online somewhere. If you have a PC and store files on OneDrive or if you use Photobucket or Pinterest or whatever file hosting or image sharing service, you can embed a link. If you have OneDrive, you do it this way:

Upload a .jpg file to OneDrive.
Open the image at OneDrive.
At the top should be a link to "</> Embed".

Click it, that opens a window and in the window is a box with a long URL. This image will be too large, so select "Medium (660px)" in the Image Size drop-down box.

Put your cursor in the URL box, click anywhere on the URL to select the entire URL, and "CTRL-C" to copy the URL.

Once you've copied the URL to your clipboard, come back to Card Talk and start the post you want to embed the picture in. When you get to the place you want to open the picture, click the small picture icon to the right of the envelope at the top of the post composing window. That opens a dialogue with the title "Image URL". Past the URL into the box of that dialogue. This should link to your image at OneDrive.

If you use another service, you can try this:

When you have opened an image you want to embed in a post, you right-click on it and select "Open link in new tab," and then click on that tab which has just appeared on your tab bar. Copy the URL. Go to the Card Talk thread and click Reply (unless you are starting a new thread). The box comes up and you'll see the row of icons above the reply field. Go the third icon from the right, click on it and paste the URL into the Image URL field. Click the "OK" button which is to the right just below the Image URL field. Your link to the image should appear wherever you click within the field. It is embedded at this point. After you click "Post Now," the image itself should show in your post.

If it doesn't work, you might have missed a step or you might have to figure out a step

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by cardscout182:
Gday Jess and Ross, I just checked my near-complete set of the Babe cards by Sanitarium, my cards are glossy and numbered up to 16 cards. The Australian release me thinks. Interestingly, my No.1 of 16 has a different back to the pic you have shown here Jess... If you could email me the easiest way to post pics here, I'll add some photos, many thanks
From memory, the cards I got were from Weet-bix cereal boxes, 1 per box here in Australia.
Great info once again Ross.. Thumb Up
Adrian

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I use postimage.org which is quite simple to upload once you have registered and it is also free.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
G'day Jess, thanks for the easy solution Roll Eyes Wink
I'll try to do that and hopefully get the pic up asap

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here in the UK a Cigarette & Trade Card dealer that publishes an annual catalogue has over 100 Sanitarium cards listed most of which cost below £10 for a complete set. The All Blacks card sets are priced higher.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Or you can e-mail me the picture and I'll post it.

BABE IN THE CITY is a great movie.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Cardscout,

I scanned the front of card #1 and the back of card #2 for the images you see above. I was in a hurry that day and did just one scan to get a sample front and back.

Here is the front and back of card #1:

quote:
Originally posted by cardscout182:
Interestingly, my No.1 of 16 has a different back to the pic you have shown here Jess... If you could email me the easiest way to post pics here. Great info once again Ross.. Thumb Up
Adrian

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
G'day Jess, yes that image is correct then, same as mine, all good Thumb Up