Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Unmarked Prototypes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unmarked Prototypes
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
In the 1999 June/July issue of NSU (Vol. 10, No. 3), and in one of his early promo columns, our friend, the late Bill DeFranzo, wrote about prototypes. Specifically, he wrote about unmarked prototypes. These cards don't have "prototype" printed nor stamped on them but they are pre-production versions of base cards (sometimes chase cards) used to promote an upcoming series. They tend not to have any promotional text on them as they are meant to show what the series is actually going to look like. They might even be numbered like a regular card. There can be a slight difference on the front or a minor text rearrangment on the back to distinguish it from the regular card version. Sometimes, the card sent out does not differ from the regular card at all.

Below are two examples of unmarked prototypes from the International Card Collection of Athletes (1993). The prototypes are very similar to the same-numbered cards in the regular set except that the prototypes have "1992" in the white circular space in the upper left corner while the regular card has "1993" in that same spot. Bill showed the #1 prototype in the article though the image is smaller than actual size so the year is not clear. I'm showing the same card here along with the #15 prototype. These are two of the five known prototypes for the set. I was lucky to find them in bargain boxes back around 2000. They are tough to find now. I've never seen the other three but assume they would also have the 1992 date on them.

Maybe someone else on the board has at least one of the others or knows more about them or has others from other sets. Bill also noted the Pro Set prototypes for "Young Indiana Jones," "Guinness Book of World Records," and "Beauty and the Beast."

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
Interesting thoughts there cats...I have a similar assortment of 6 cards sent from monsterwax.com, when I wrote to them asking for a few promo cards back in 1997. none are marked sample or prototype anywhere on the cards but still pretty cool to get them.
Below is the list of cards the sent...

MONSTER MOVIE CLASSICS #20 SAMPLE CARD 1997 MONSTERWAX.COM THE COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK
MONSTER MOVIE CLASSICS #21 SAMPLE CARD 2004 MONSTERWAX.COM THE NIGHT SLASHER
MONSTER MOVIE CLASSICS #27 SAMPLE CARD 1997 MONSTERWAX.COM THE TRAP DOOR, ALSO GIVES INFO ABOUT A HORROR HOTLINE TO CALL...
MONSTER MOVIE CLASSICS #45 SAMPLE CARD 1997 MONSTERWAX.COM GHIDRAH,THE 3 HEADED MONSTER
MONSTER MOVIE CLASSICS #6 SAMPLE CARD 1992 MONSTERWAX.COM THE SHADOW'S REVENGE
MONSTER MOVIE CLASSICS #90 SAMPLE CARD 1997 MONSTERWAX.COM THE PHOTOGRAPHER AND THE UNDERTAKER

Happy to be corrected on the year, also I'll try to add pics if anyone is keen? Wavey Thumb Up

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

International Card Collection of Athletes These are two of the five known prototypes for the set.

What are the other three?

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Todd,

That is one of the mysteries from the world of cards. I haven't seen the others but assume Bill either had them or had seen them all. The Joan Benoit Samuelson card used to pop up occasionally but I haven't seen one for sale in maybe 15 years. I've never seen another Jonnie Jonckowski - got that out of a bargain box maybe 20 years ago.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I found the rodeo one a couple days ago for a buck. Right off the devil's auction site. I got lucky I guess.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you know what you're looking for, you will often find it. In this case, it's a rare prototype advertised as if it were a base card.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
I found the rodeo one a couple days ago for a buck. Right off the devil's auction site. I got lucky I guess.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I may have the answer to what the other 3 prototypes are, as I looked in my binder and found these, besides the 1992 Jonckowski and the Samuelson.

1992 Nelson Vails (cycling)
1992 Viisha Sedlak (Racewalk, USA)
1992 Neil Eckersley (Judo)

I will ask a friend to help post scans

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
thanks David. Noted!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David R asked me to post these images of three cards from International Card Collection of Athletes as below:-

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
David's list rounds out this series.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Todd listed Chips Cards in PCE with additions in the 2008 edition. I have most of the ones listed. I consider them prototypes pending further information for the same reason he gave: the skip-numbering into the stratosphere. It does not appear a set was ever released though I have seen a checklist card for sale as well as the larger card Promoking noted in the PCE additions/corrections thread. Here's one of them:

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
That checklist doesn't include three cards listed in PCE. And there are a few on that checklist I havent seen.

I really like the Chips Cards. I'll be bummed out if it turns out they arent protos, but you'd think after 30 years that would have been learned if they werent.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the rare pack-pulled hologram (top card) along with the prototype version (bottom) from Yo! MTV Raps Series 2 (Pro Set, 1991). The finished hologram has a black backing with copyright information on it. The prototype is lacks the backing so it's just the plastic hologram layer. The hologram was developed by Polaroid and it appears the engineers were striving for a lighter and more uniform color because the prototype is green towards the edges but a rather dark blue color dominates the middle of the card which makes the three figures and the wording within the hologram not as easy to distinguish (it says "Yo! MTV Raps" with "Pro Set" in the background). As you can see, the pack-pulled card is light green with clearer figures and wording though I've seen one that has some blue in it.

The card on the bottom might be a reject that didn't pass quality control so it was not given a backing and not inserted in packs. I think it's interesting in any case as an artifact of the production process. No one seems to know the level of rarity of the finished hologram. It might have been as rare as one per case (or rarer?) because I don't always see one for sale. It was a $100 card about 20 years ago but the asking prices these days are more like $200-300 (though with no takers at that level that I know of).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,