Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Milwaukee Public Museum cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milwaukee Public Museum cards
 Login/Join

Picture of pcetodd
posted
Did I read somewhere that the museum sold subsets of their museum cards?

Don Norton, I think you sent me some photocopies long ago. Do you have more info than what I have here? (I know its no where near a complete list, but its what I have noted)

□ “American Alligator”
□ “American Mastodon”
□ “A Sense Of Wonder”
□ “Asian Elephant”
□ “Blanding’s Turtle”
□ “Blue Morpho”
□ “Chinese Shovel-Tusk”
□ “Dromaeosaurus”
□ “Giant Swallowtail”
□ “Giant Tropical Ant”
□ “Giant Prickly Walkingstick”
□ “Goliath Birdwing”
□ “Halloween Hauntings...”
□ “Idea”
□ “Julia”
□ “Malachite”
□ (mask) “Made by the Nahuati...”
□ (mask) “The Milwaukee Public Museum will be a frightfully...”
□ (mask) “The Milwaukee Public Museum will be transformed...”
□ (mask) “Thrills and chills...”
□ “Orange-barred Sulphur”
□ “Samson Returns!”
□ “Stegosaurus”
□ “Sue The Tyrannosaurus Rex”
□ “Timber Rattlesnake”
□ 2 “Malasaura”

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Hi Todd!I love these cards from the Museum. All of the ones I have came via Dave Loosen, who lives in Milwaukee. I am not sure if these can be purchased at the Museum, I never saw any during my 2 visits there.

There are also a few you do not list. These 4 are black and white size of Davy Crockett cards:
1921 Kansas City Monarchs - Negro League Baseball
3 Harley-Davidson 95 Years of Great Motorcycles June 9-August 9 1998 Walter Davidson, First President, A Happy Couple, and WW II Soldier
I also have 2 older Dinosaurs Card: Tyrannosaurus Rex and Triceratops Prorsus. These are color paintings on slightly smaller than standard size thin cardstock, dated 1982.

Dave may have a more complete collection.

Posts: 2913 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Todd,

That #2 card is probably "Maiasaura" with a lower case "i" instead of an "l." That is a dinosaur from Montana - famous because it's known from fossilized bones and eggs.

Also, didn't the Tosers either find a quantity of sets of these or reprint these maybe 10 years ago?

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
From 1982 there is also:

n.n. "Anatosaurus copei"
n.n. "Ankylosaurus magniventris"

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for more info on these and have found that the cards have been released in subsets. I know 28 paleontology-related cards were released from 1982 to 1990. More were released later covering various subjects, including more paleo-related ones after that, but I don't have that info.

The first subset included 4 unnumbered cards that were given out in late 1982 through 1983. These and the other 24 cards listed here promote a permanent exhibit called, "The Third Planet," which opened in 1983. These first 4 cards measure 2 1/2 x 3 1/4 inches, are unnumbered, and were printed on thin stock. They are also dated "1982" on the back.

n.n. "Anatosaurus copei"
n.n. "Ankylosaurus magniventris"
n.n. "Triceratops prorsus"
n.n. "Tyrannosaurus rex"

These are the fronts of the first 4 cards:

The next subset, consisting of 8 cards, was given out sometime in 1984. These were numbered 5-13 and dated "1984":

5. "Archaeopteryx"
6. "Dromaeosaurus"
7. "Stegosaurus"
8. "Last of the Dinosaurs"
9. "Mammut Americanum"
10. "Othnielia"
11. "Camptosaurus"
12. "Diplodocus"

A 4-card subset was given out sometime in 1986 and are so dated on the back.

13. "Pterichthyodes"
14. "Casteroides"
15. "Plesiosaurus"
16. "Megaloceras"

A 6-card group was given out in 1988 with that date on the back.

17. "Mammuthus primigenius"
18. "Smilodon"
19. "Platybelodon"
20. "Eobasileous" - this one is misspelled - should be "Eobasileus"
21. "Coelodonta"
22. "Diatryma"

Only one card was issued in 1990. It was made in appreciation of Tom Trebelhorn, manager of the Milwaukee Brewers (Major League Baseball team), and the team in general at the time. The museum wanted to publicly recognize their support for the museum's "Torosaurus Project," the excavation and preparation of a skeleton of a rare genus of dinosaur that took nine years to complete from its discovery to its public display at the museum. This card is unnumbered and undated.

n.n. "Major leaguers - Tom Trebelhorn and the Torosaurus dinosaur"

Five cards were given out in 1990. Unfortunately, they are numbered 17-21, numbers already used for cards given out in 1988. These cards are not dated so you could tell the difference between them and the dated 1988 cards.

17. "Torosaurus"
18. "Pteranodon"
19. "Stygimoloch"
20. "Albertosaurus"
21. "Struthiomimus"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,