Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    Edwards Cinemas promos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edwards Cinemas promos
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Sometimes we run into a set that seems to be an isolated promotion, but later, we find out it was one of at least a few. This is the case with cards released as a co-promotion by Edwards Cinemas and Tabb Investments. Edwards Cinemas was a theater chain based in southern California with most of the theaters in that state. The company still exists today as a brand name within Regal Cinemas. Tabb promoted a series of collectibles shows in the early-mid 90's.

For years, many collectors were familiar with the 12-card set for the 1994 movie, "Mask" starring Jim Carrey. I don't know if you received one card with every ticket to that movie or if they were just given out in the lobby. Not living in a part of CA with an Edwards Cinema, I picked up a few of the cards maybe 20 years ago as part of a lot but still haven't completed the set. I really haven't been hunting that down but it doesn't appear to be an easy set to finish either. I've noticed only a few cards available over the years. Maybe other collectors have run into these more often. The cards shown below are #1, front and back, plus the front of #8.

In the early 2000's I saw a 6-card set of Edwards Cinemas cards promoting "The Flintstones" movie also from 1994. Since then, I received one of the cards in a lot but those are the only two times I've seen those cards. Card #3, front and back, is shown below.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I went to an Edwards regularly in the 90's and for sure saw "The Mask" and maybe saw "The Flintstones" there. (Mighta been the drive-in for that one). I don't remember them ever giving out any cards. I would've definitely saved them. Those are probably pretty rare.

That theatre is still open, and is, in fact, a Regal budget (or second run) theatre. Good research, CE!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Chesspiece,

I was hoping you'd comment as I know you've lived the area for some time and might know more about them. If you didn't see them, it makes them even more of a mystery. Did you go to any of those Tabb-promoted shows? Maybe they were given away at those. The only other thing I could think of is that they were only given out opening day or the first few days.

It does appear the cards were not given out as sets as I have seen these mostly as singles or pairs (two of the same card - not two different cards at a time). I did see just that one Flintstones set and was able to describe it from some old notes for the PCE additions/corrections thread.

Yeah, I've talked about these cards with other collectors. The "Mask" cards seem to be the ones most often seen which makes sense since it might be the most popular movie represented by Edwards Cinema cards. I don't remember when I picked up the few of those that I have but it was back in the early-mid 2000's at least and it seemed like a couple of collectors had the set then. I have some other ones that were in an oddball lot. These cards are just another reason to take a close look for anything unfamiliar in promo card lot listings. Sometimes, sellers are unloading all or part of a personal collection and every collection is going to have mostly common things plus maybe a few rarities and local items.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I went to an Edwards regularly in the 90's and for sure saw "The Mask" and maybe saw "The Flintstones" there. (Mighta been the drive-in for that one). I don't remember them ever giving out any cards. I would've definitely saved them. Those are probably pretty rare.

That theatre is still open, and is, in fact, a Regal budget (or second run) theatre. Good research, CE!

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are Edwards Cinemas cards promoting two other 1994 movies: "River Wild" and "Time Cop." Here are card #1 from the 6-card set for "River Wild" and card #4 of the 6-card set for "Time Cop." I wonder if there are other movies represented.

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is also a Tabb Edwards promo set for the 1994 Little Rascals movie, which has been on ebay forever with no takers.

I have the Mask set.

However, in 20 years of searching I have never seen the Flintstones set. I do not have it.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have also seen on ebay Tabb Edwards' milk caps for the 1994 Disney "Lion King" movie

Remember milk caps ? Smile

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
Hey Cats, what is the logo in the corner on front?

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Todd,

I forgot to get back to you on this...the logo says, "Edwards/Tabb" within the red bar and "Caps, Cards & Collectibles" in the white ring.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
Hey Cats, what is the logo in the corner on front?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the full "The Mask" set. Last year, I saw someone trying to get over $50 for just the Cameron Diaz card, offering it as her "rookie card."

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Timecop and River Wild each consisted of 6 cards ?

I have never seen those or The Flintstones.

I've seen only The Mask and Little Rascals.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if these cards were given out at a Tabb show or just in one region. It would explain why some of the cards are hard to find/seemingly nonexistent. Collectors might have been more interested in The Mask cards so those are the ones that have recirculated over the years.

quote:
Originally posted by David R:

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the #3 card from "Time Cop." I have only the #3 and 4 from that set.

quote:
Originally posted by David R: