Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John,

Thanks for the info on the Looney Tunes and Rugrats cards.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one of three cards promoting the TV show, "My So-Called Life" (a.k.a. Productions). They were inserted one per videocassette and measure 3 x 3 7/8 inches. The cards are undated but the show ran during the 1994-1995 season so the video release was probably a year or two after that.

I found this card in a bargain box or got it in a lot years ago and took me a while to learn it was inserted with videos and that there were two others.

Here's the checklist:

n.n. (girl with her hands on her head)
n.n. (boy, close-up, green background)
n.n. (boy standing, purple background)

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Here's one of three cards promoting the TV show, "My So-Called Life" (a.k.a. Productions). They were inserted one per videocassette and measure 3 x 3 7/8 inches. The cards are undated but the show ran during the 1994-1995 season so the video release was probably a year or two after that.

I found this card in a bargain box or got it in a lot years ago and took me a while to learn it was inserted with videos and that there were two others.

Here's the checklist:

n.n. (girl with her hands on her head)
n.n. (boy, close-up, green background)
n.n. (boy standing, purple background)

"boy" might be Jared Leto (Joker) or Wilson Cruz (Star Trek Discovery)

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I saw both those cards just a couple of years ago but don't remember if one of them is on the cards. That was before I started copying images of lesser-seen cards. I remember the show being on and people talking about it but didn't watch it.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are two cards from the 16-card Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Kellogg Company, 2002). They are 3D lenticulars and were available through a Kelloggs promotion (probably a cereal insert) in Germany. Each measures 2 1/8 x 3 1/8 inches. Each says "Der Herr der Ringe: Die Zwei Turme" on the card backs with additional German text describing the subject of the card front and rules of the game you can play with the cards. The cards are unnumbered and have rounded corners.

PCE2008 lists the set for "The Fellowship of the Ring" which seems easier to find than this one. I haven't seen one for "The Return of the King."

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
That Ring card looks quite precious.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This card promotes the "Liz Phair" album (Capitol Records, 2003), which was the fourth studio album by Liz Phair. It's a standard-size, dual-image lenticular said to be a record store giveaway.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A lot of promo collectors like to stick to those that promote trading card sets and comic books/comic book-related items but here's a set for those looking for something weird. It's a 3 card set (Lobo Enterprises/Hot Hot Hot, 1994) promoting a brand of hot sauce and may have been a trade show giveaway. One flavor seems to be going for irony while the other two want to get real.

#1 "Inner Beauty"
#2 "Pure Hell"
#3 "Ring of Fire"

If interested, you'll find it floating out there on the web without too much trouble.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I believe pure hell also represents the completist's view of collecting.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is one of at least 10 in a subset of "Hollywood on Wheels" Johnny Lightning cards that were inserted one per package of Johnny Lightning Hollywood on Wheels (Playing Mantis, 1998) die-cast-toy cars. The fronts show stills from various TV shows and movies with the Johnny Lightning logo. The blanks are blank. I have seen two other "Dragnet" cards and a list of eight different show/movies that have cards in the subset.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card (Arista Records, 1989) promoting the Grateful Dead's album, "Built to Last" though it doesn't name it on the card - album was released on Halloween of 1989. It's a bit unusual since it shows artwork on both sides with minimal text.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the 6-card "Awesome Road Construction" set that was inserted as an uncut perforated sheet with the "Awesome Road Construction" 2 Tape Set (VHS tapes). The sheet measures; 6 3/4 x 7 inches and the cards bear descriptive text on the backs. The cards themselves are undated but the VHS box is dated 1994.

There are several different "Awesome" card sheets on various subjects (amusement park rides, big rigs, airplanes, etc.) and most of them are larger than this one, a few being 12-card sheets. Despite the fact that they are folded into the VHS box, they tend to be in nice shape when opened even after 15 or more years.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card from the Homeruns 17-card set (Geffen/DGC). The unnumbered cards were given out in a specially-printed box. The fronts show covers from albums released around 1989. The backs provide some background on the artist(s) and list the songs on the album.

I bought one of the boxes with the cards at least 15 years ago. It had 17 cards inside but there is space in the box for more so I thought it was just a partial set. As years went by, it seemed that everyone who had the cards also had 17 of them so I think that is the complete set. There must have been a folded pamphlet or other item(s) that took up the rest of the space. Here's the checklist:

n.n. "Whitesnake - Whitesnake"
n.n. "Peter Gabriel - So"
n.n. "Tesla - Mechanical Resonance"
n.n. "Pat Metheny Group - Still Life (Talking)"
n.n. "Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction"
n.n. "Kitaro - The Light of the Spirit"
n.n. "The Dukes of Stratosphear - Chips from the Chocolate Fireball"
n.n. "Berlin - Best of Berlin 1979-1988"
n.n. "Don Henley - The End of the Innocence"
n.n. "XTC - Oranges and Lemons"
n.n. "Cher - Heart of Stone"
n.n. "Rickie Lee Jones - Flying Cowboys"
n.n. "Aerosmith - Pump"
n.n. "The Sundays - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic"
n.n. "Nelson - After the Rain"
n.n. "The Simpsons - Sing the Blues"
n.n. "Amy Grant - The Collection"

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card that promotes Roox Trading Cards (The Roox Corporation), a company that made sports cards in the late 90's to 2000's and specialized in sets for women's soccer and minor league baseball. I recall it doing some volleyball cards in the late 2000's as well.

The card also seems to be promoting youth sports in general as well.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's something that I could have posted in the "Oddball Cards" thread or the "Rarer Promo" thread. This is a seldom-seen 5-card Dinocardz promo pack said to be inserted with Dairy Queen kids' meals back in 1992 (maybe '93?). Dinocardz released an 80 regular card set in 1992 and I was told there is a 50-card version that had a UV-coating on the fronts that made them glossy.

Recently, I learned that another set version exists with text in Spanish. Additionally, there's also a 20-card promo version, all cards bearing the Pepsi logo on the back, with cards 1-10 inserted one per 12-pack of Pepsi cans. Cards 11-20 in 10-card cello packs appeared on the market by the late 90's. No one seems to know their origin. I found some at a flea market. The seller didn't remember how he got them.

You can't tell if the cards are different in the Dairy Queen 5-card pack because there's a slip of paper that acts like a header and the card on the back of the pack is showing the front. It says on the pack to collect all 26 cards. However, after opening a pack, a couple of the cards are numbered 30 and higher so it might be assumed that the cards are skip-numbered. At first glance, the 5 cards appear to be identical to those in the regular set but you'll notice that they are glossy on the fronts and backs while the UV-coated regular cards are glossy just on the fronts. That's kind of a weird distinction but Promoking has mentioned seeing that before.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have just been reading an interesting thread on Blowout Cards forum titled
Cards that dont come in packs
23 6 21
This short thread gives examples of cards from Books Cereals Toys etc with some excellent pictures it could be very enlightening to follow this thread as these are all promos and could all be a good addition to Catskills Unlisted and rarer promo threads

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I checked that out, Piko. That could be the beginning of a cool thread. I have seen at least one of those X-Men '95 Ultra Suspended Animations variants in the Toy Biz action figures. They don't have the gold foil on the fronts that the chase cards in the packs have. Prices have been high for the action figures even before the pandemic.

Hopefully, more people get involved and show some card images.

Jess

P.S. Here's a shot of the front and back of one of the Toy Biz Suspended Animation variants from Amalia Barrios' site:

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
I have just been reading an interesting thread on Blowout Cards forum titled
Cards that dont come in packs
23 6 21
This short thread gives examples of cards from Books Cereals Toys etc with some excellent pictures it could be very enlightening to follow this thread as these are all promos and could all be a good addition to Catskills Unlisted and rarer promo threads

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is one of set of three "Nintendo Magic Motion Cards" inserted one per package of Dunkin Donuts Cereal - each one in its own cello-pack with a piece of same-size cardboard behind it. They are 3-image lenticulars measuring 2 x 2 3/4 inches. The card fronts show a Nintendo game character; card backs provide video game tips. They are undated but mid-late 1989 expiration dates for other offers are on the cereal boxes that contained a card.

Watch out for crazy prices being offered. They are uncommon but you can find them in the $5-10 range if you're patient. They often to go for $10-15.

Here's the checklist:

n.n. "Legend of Zelda"
n.n. "Mike Tyson's Punch-out!!"
n.n. "Super Mario Bros."

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's card #39 ("My New Car") from the 40-card "Hot Summer Flicks" set (United Artists. 1988). They were inserted one per package of Hostess snacks (chips) in Canada - each in its own cello-pack. Each card has rounded corners and is smaller than usual, measuring 1 1/4 x 1 3/4 inches. Each also says "Hostess" at the top on the back. Other back text is in both French and English. The set promotes various 80's movies.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a lenticular card that promotes the movie, "Babe." There's no date nor manufacturer marked on the card but it's said to have been made by Kodak. It's unknown how it was distributed but may have been given out at trade shows. The front has a blue border with yellow roughly-rectangular shapes in it to make it look like a film frame and it has a blank back. It shows a lot of motion relative to most lenticular cards - something only a company like Kodak could have produced.

Here are four shots to show the range of motion (the pig pops out of the haystack and the words "LA LA LA" appear and fly right to left, then disappear as "BABE" flashes and disappears in the upper right corner all while the duck turns his head):