Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Catskilleagle said:
"It's normal...someone please tell me it's normal."

Okay, yes, it's normal.... NOT!!
It's Abby Normal.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I too like this thread
As it gives us an insight into what is out there in the promo arena
Most of the cards pictured are of cards that most of us have never seen , and will probably have no chance of ever getting them
KEEP IT UP

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Have you ever seen the folks who collect old cereal boxes ? I have seen websites where people are actively searching for boxes (opened or unopened) of cereal from the 1960s and early 70s, and willing to pay big bucks for these items. Where do people find these things ?

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Catskilleagle said:

It's Abby Normal.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are two variants of the Lee Trevino prototype from the PGA Tour set (1990, Pro Set). The first card shows a slightly larger PGA Tour logo relative to the Pro Set logo while the PGA Tour logo is the same size in the second card. The lower border is a brighter red on the front and back in the first than in the second as well.

The first card does not show a date nor copyright information on the back while the second one does. The first one is from the first print run which was smaller than the second so you see a lot fewer of the first one on the market. No one seems to know the numbers nor how rare the first print run cards are in general relative to the second ones. The current value difference, however, reflects a distinct scarcity: second printing prototypes go for $1-3 usually while the first printing cards go for $15-25 each with fewer known sales.

There were five first printing prototypes: Paul Azinger, Mike Donald, Lee Trevino, Bob Tway but only Trevino and Tway were included in the second printing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Piko, there's always a chance. Once you know it exists, you can look for it or you might find it serendipitously like I did. The thing about cards that I've learned is that if you are looking for a lot of cards, you will find at least some of them.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
I too like this thread
As it gives us an insight into what is out there in the promo arena
Most of the cards pictured are of cards that most of us have never seen , and will probably have no chance of ever getting them
KEEP IT UP

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

Somewhere, I have a cereal box. I won it in a lot to get the card that was inside it.

You'd have to worry more about humidity and storage space with cereal boxes than collecting cards. I assume they have sleeves and top loaders for those too.

My brother and I ate Apple Jacks as fast as we could to get more Crater Critters in the early 70's. I wonder what those boxes are worth.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Have you ever seen the folks who collect old cereal boxes ? I have seen websites where people are actively searching for boxes (opened or unopened) of cereal from the 1960s and early 70s, and willing to pay big bucks for these items. Where do people find these things ?

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Catskilleagle said:

It's Abby Normal.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:

David

Have you not heard of Robert Opie and the Museum of Brands. He collected not only cereal boxes but every consumer product. Years ago some of the London Branch of the Cartophilic Society used to supply him with their empty cereal boxes, tea packets etc.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago, I was lucky to meet a dealer who had been cashing out his toy car collection at a local flea market. I don't know what he had at the beginning but he was unloading the remaining stuff for $3-5 including some Johnny Lightning, Hot Wheels, and some of the Action cars that were packaged with Looney Tunes 3D lenticular cards. In fact I found the car pack that had the Hulk 3D card still sealed with it. Todd had listed that card in PCE2008. Months later, the dealer lowered the price on what was left to a buck a piece and I picked up a few more Johnny Lightnings and the last Action car with a Looney Tunes 3D lenticular.

One Action card the dealer didn't have is a Lion King 3D lenticular that promotes the movie's first DVD release in 2003. It has a driver's name and car number on the front and the same kind of back (list of Action distributors) but I hadn't seen a Disney card associated with Action before and still haven't seen another one. I found just the card so I don't know for sure that it was packaged with a car.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This card was given out at the Disney Gallery, an exhibition area and souvenir shop at Disneyland. It's unnumbered, measures 4 1/4 x 6 inches and promotes the 40th anniversary of the Columbia sailing ship attraction as well as a limited edition lithograph and poster that was going on sale in July 1998 to commemorate that milestone.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's another couple of Disney mystery cards that I'm assuming are prototypes or perhaps trade show samples/giveaways. They are both lenticular motion cards with blank backs and no markings on the front to indicate a manufacturer. One is 1 3/4 x 2 inches and shows Mickey and Minnie Mouse approaching each other and kissing. The other one is 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches and show Pinocchio's nose growing. At a glance I would guess these are perhaps Disney Store giveaways or perhaps one of the extras in a toy set, and they could be things like that, but the quality of the lenticular motion seems to surpass that of a mass-produced toy. I think it's possible that they are trade show samples rather sparingly distributed or cards associated with some limited-edition Disney product or perhaps test cards only accessible by employees of the printer .

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Todd has pointed out to me that the ES5 card I showed on the previous page is listed in PCE2008 under "Extreme Sacrifice." I had looked for it under "Youngblood" and Allender lists it as part of the "Youngblood" (1995) set by Skybox. The card does not have any text so it does not promote anything outright. However you slice it, it was an oversight on my part. Rather than deleting the post, I am leaving this correction here.

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one for William Stout fans and for anyone who might have received it in a lot or found it somewhere and wondered what the two images are from and where the card came from. It has a blank back with no text on the front so it might be a mystery to someone. It shows images of two murals that Stout researched and painted from 1993 to 1994 and it promotes poster versions of these murals that went on sale sometime after that. This card measures 4 1/4 x 6 inches and was sent to people on a mailing list or given out at shows where Stout was an exhibitor.

The bottom image depicts prehistoric life from the Vendian Period (Precambrian time) to the Devonian Period (right to left) and the mural is titled, "Life Before Dinosaurs I." The top image shows life from the Mississippian Period to the Permian Period and the mural is titled, "Life Before Dinosaurs II."

Card collectors know Stout from his Comic Images sets and Keepsake Collection so we know of his interest in dinosaurs and other prehistoric life but he is also a big deal in the world of natural history museums and their displays. The two murals are on display at the Houston Museum of Natural Science.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card from the "The Right to Remain Silent" promo set (Republic Entertainment Inc., 1996). It It appears to be an 7-card set and promotes a movie with several well-known actors. All the cards I've seen have fronts made to look like "Wanted" posters. This one shows comedy legend, Carl Reiner. The others show Christopher Lloyd, Fisher Stevens, Judge Reinhold, Laura San Giacomo, L.L. Cool J, and Patrick Dempsey.

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I've seen 8.

□ "Amanda Plummer"
□ "Carl Reiner"
□ "Christopher Lloyd"
□ "Fisher Stevens"
□ "Judge Reinhold"
□ "Laura San Giacomo"
□ "LL Cool J"
□ "Patrick Dempsey"

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, there is an Amanda Plummer card. I wondered if there were cards for Lea Thompson and Robert Loggia but they didn't play characters that were arrested.

Thanks, Todd.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
I've seen 8.

□ "Amanda Plummer"
□ "Carl Reiner"
□ "Christopher Lloyd"
□ "Fisher Stevens"
□ "Judge Reinhold"
□ "Laura San Giacomo"
□ "LL Cool J"
□ "Patrick Dempsey"

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This card comes from the Pro Stars 9-card set (DIC Animation City, Inc., 1992). The cards were available in a 3-card cello-pack inserted with Pro Stars cereal in Canada. You could also get the whole set through a mail-in offer. The cards are unnumbered with French and English text on front and back. The set promotes a short-lived TV show that starred Bo Jackson, Wayne Gretzky and Michael Jordan as themselves in live action sequences and as animated superheroes. You'll see asking prices all over the place but the cards tend to go for $3-6 each though you might have to pay more for Jordan, Jackson, or Gretzky cards because some sports cards collectors go for those too.

Besides the French/English text, you can tell it's a Canadian set because Wayne Gretzky is on at least four of the cards.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is card #3 from a Viewtiful 5 card set (Capcom Co, LTD, 2003) that was given out at the E3 Expo (annual computer/video game trade show) in 2003. Each card shows a different character from the "Viewtiful Joe" video game (also a cartoon).

PCE2008 lists a 2004 set that also has five character cards - a different mix. The 2003 set seems harder to put together. You can usually find an unopened pack of the 2004 cards.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
i have a set of 5 of these 2003 cards they are on quiet thin stock
1 Header type card
2 Joe
3 Sylvia
4 captain Blue
5 Hulk Davidson
i think that the design of #1 detracts from the comic art style of the set of 5 cards

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Piko,

I didn't really notice the thinness of the stock until you brought it up. I have just a couple of these cards - found this view of four of the cards on the web:

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
i have a set of 5 of these 2003 cards they are on quiet thin stock
1 Header type card
2 Joe
3 Sylvia
4 captain Blue
5 Hulk Davidson
i think that the design of #1 detracts from the comic art style of the set of 5 cards

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In the 90's Sports Time released Playboy Chromium Covers Series 1, 2, and 3. The company also planned Series 4 and 5 but they were cancelled. However, promo cards for Series 4 and for 5 were printed but not widely distributed. You can still find those for sale and at reasonable prices. What aren't seen very often are the two redemption cards (R4 and R5) that were also printed for those series. The redemption cards for Series 1-3 were seeded 1 per case for a special set of refractor cards (base card variants featuring celebrities) available only by redemption.

The R4 and R5 cards were never officially released and appeared for sale only after the company went out of business. They have the same front as the redemption cards for Series 1-3 and similar backs with R4 having a differently-colored back than R5. I found both of them sealed with Sports Time stickers in hard plastic cases. I'm not sure why they are sealed but they might have been displayed at shows during the time the sets were still in the planning stages.

Here's a scan of the R1 to show the front (my photo of the R4 had a distracting reflection) along with the backs of R4 and R5 (in reality they are all standard card size):