Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one from the Rescue Heroes set (Mattel, 1998-1999). It was in an 8 or 9 card plastic pack that was given out at a toy show. The unnumbered cards have blue top and bottom borders on the front with blue backs that bear text describing the character on the front. At the upper left corner on the front, a mini-banner says "Coming to the rescue soon." These cards promote a line of toys. Similar cards (some with red borders) were inserted with the toys released later so you could say the promo set is part of a larger set.

Here's a partial checklist of the ones that were in the promo pack. I think there was an oversized card too.

n.n. "Bill Barker & Buster"; 1999 copyright
n.n. "Hal E. Copter"; 1999 copyright
n.n. "Rip Rockefeller"; 1998 copyright
n.n. "Roger Houston"; 1998 copyright
n.n. "Sergeant Siren"; 1998 copyright
n.n. "Wendy Waters"; 1998 copyright

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one from the "Wacky Players Basketball" 9-card set (Sunkist Growers, Inc., 1991) which was inserted one per package of Sunkist Fun Fruits snacks. Artwork by Jack Davis and it's done as a spoof of sports cards with gag stats included on the back. Checklist:

n.n. "Can-Do Carl"
n.n. "Dribblin' Dave"
n.n. "Lanky Frankie"
n.n. "Nothin' But Net Nick"
n.n. "Slammin' Jammin' Jerome"
n.n. "Small-Fry Bry"
n.n. "Stompin' Rompin' Ralph"
n.n. "The Twin Towers"
n.n. "The Wall Center"

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is card 01 from the Imagine 9-card promo pack (1997). The cards are numbered 01-09. They are part of a 25 promo card set for the magazine. There is also a 10 card subset of unnumbered cards that was available at the release party for the first edition of Imagine Magazine and a 6-card subset of error cards that were printed with the wrong numbering (101-106).

The promo pack was included with the first edition of Imagine magazine (Image 2000, 1997). The cards in the pack are not dated and they don't say "Image 2000" on them. The magazine might have been the last project done by Image 2000. The company changed its name around that time.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the "Flintstones Trivia" 4-sticker set (Hanna-Barbera Home Video, Inc./Hanna-Barbera Productions, Inc., 1990). The stickers were inserted one per package of Dinosaur Grrrahams crackers with each one in its own cello-pack. They were attached to a sweepstakes entry gamecard. The stickers have rounded corners while the backings have square corners. The backing provides sweepstakes rules.

Todd tends not to list stickers but Flintstones and Hanna-Barbera collectors will want to know about this lesser-seen set - an early promo as well.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This lenticular motion card promotes the theater release of "Quest for Camelot" (Warner Bros., 1998). The source is unknown but it might have been a movie theater giveaway. It measures 2 1/16 x 3 5/16 inches. The action shows characters running from an explosion and then the title appears. It's a little-known promo seldom-seen for sale.

It makes me wonder if there are more Warner Brothers movie promos out there from around that time. Todd lists the "Wild America" lenticular motion promo from the year before. That isn't a common one either. I got lucky finding several of those at a local show back then and traded my extras over the years.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the "Pro Set Major Event Sponsor" 5-card promo set (Pro Set,1991). It was given out in a cello pack at the 12th National Sports Collectors Convention in Anaheim, CA in 1991. Cards are marked on the back "Pro Set 1991 National Collectible."

This set is sort of a hybrid sports and non-sports promo set because it features a mix of professional athletes and sportscasters while also promoting the company (Pro Set), ESPN, and the show. On the back of the header it also promotes three Pro Set non-sports sets, "Desert Storm," "SuperStars MusiCards" and "Yo! MTV Raps."

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card (Haymarket Magazines Ltd., 1989) promoting the release of a Dinky die-cast toy Land Rover. It was apparently inserted with a magazine in the UK and measures about 2 x 3 1/2 inches (52 x 89mm). The Dinky "Token Card," which is the same size, appears to be a promo of some kind or perhaps a just a coupon. I received it with the Land Rover card as part of a lot with no explanation of what it is.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is a 2-card set (Image 2000, 1995) that was sent to customers around Christmastime in 1995. The fronts and backs form complete images. The back of one card expresses thanks to customers and notes that 2,500 sets were made.

This set was sold to me in a plastic case as shown. I'm not sure if the cards were originally in a case.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This "Appleseed Ex Machina" (Warner Home Video, 2007) promo card was given out at the 2007 San Diego Comic Con. It measures 5 x 7 inches and has a blank back. It promotes the DVD release of the Japanese animated sci-fi movie in the United States. The card front says "Coming to DVD 2008."

The movie is the sequel to "Appleseed" (2004) which also had a couple of oddball promos.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Most collectors have seen the Barb Wire promos for the Topps card set and the Dark Horse ones for comics. Here's a promo sticker (multiple sponsors, 1996) for the "Barb Wire" movie. (1996). It was given out at shows and measures 3 x 5 inches. The back is also a sweepstakes entry.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's an unnumbered promo (Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc., 2004) for the "Spider-Man 2" movie. It might be part of a 3-card set. The cards were inserted with Scotties paper products in Canada. The Scotties logo is on the card back. The text on back is in French and English.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card that was given out at Wizard World in 2000. It measures 2 3/4 x 4 1/4 inches and promotes a comic series, a website, and model, Ruth Guerri. It also has a code on the back that gave you a chance to win prizes.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Here are all 3 of the Spider-Man Scotties towel cards, in a not so good picture.
I have lots of Spider-Man 2 and 3 oddball cards.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that. Even a few years ago, the few sellers that offered them tended to want too much ($25 and up) for just one.

I once saw a Spider-Man 3 promo pack by Sony as a completed listing. Do you have that?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I don't see any SPIDER-MAN 3 cards from Sony, just Handi-Snacks, Ritz bits, Toy's R Us, Capri Sun, Cool Kids and Hardees.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a promo (2001) for a Madonna Convention in Los Angeles. It measures 4 1/8 x 5 3/8 inches. Has anyone here ever gone to a Madonna convention?

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Has anyone here ever gone to a Madonna convention?

I'm betting even Madonna has never been to a Madonna convention

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it doesn't appear to be an annual thing. I think a lot of people figure they can vogue at home for free.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

I'm betting even Madonna has never been to a Madonna convention

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you have to have a VD shot to attend?

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is a promo (Image 2000, 1997) for the "Paradise" factory set which was planned to be released in a special binder. The promo measures 5 x 7 inches and also promotes the release of the second issue of "Imagine" magazine. I don't know if the Paradise set was ever released. This promo was distributed just before Image 2000 changed its name to Imagine. I'm not sure the company was still selling cards in 1998.