Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, John. You've answered a question at least a few people had. That card might have been a last-minute addition to the show promo set so the show people couldn't print it with the show promo back. This info comes in time for Todd to incorporate into the next PCE.

That's a cool sheet.

Jess

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card promoting Super Dave Osborne's appearance at a charity event in 1991.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a Marvel card with no obvious markings as to its origin. It was inserted with a "Johnny Lightning Marvel" die-cast toy car and part of an apparent 42-card set. These unnumbered cards feature artwork from classic Marvel Comics covers on the fronts are are blank-backed. They are slightly smaller than standard size measuring 2 3/8 x 3 1/2 inches. There are 42 cars subdivided into 4 subsets (releases) so it is assumed that there are also 42 cards.

The Johnny Lightning Marvel cards are undated but the toy packaging says "2003." Unlike most Johnny Lightning cards, they don't show the logo on the front.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Catskilleagle,
I was curious as to how comfortable you are with their being 42 different MARVEL Johnny Lightning cards inserted with the die cast cards? I have 21 in my collection, which interestingly is half of 42.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

Quite frankly, I would not bet on it. I was just going by how many different cars there are. The number could be higher than 42. The cards that show various photos of Linda Vaughn are actually numbered and they go past #30 but there are only 7 different cars.

The Marvel cards were not easy to find for a reasonable price even in the past few years because the die-cast car collectors wanted the unopened packages. I was lucky to find this card and the Daredevil in unopened packages for just a couple of bucks at a flea market 2-3 years ago.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Catskilleagle,
I was curious as to how comfortable you are with their being 42 different MARVEL Johnny Lightning cards inserted with the die cast cards? I have 21 in my collection, which interestingly is half of 42.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I HAVE THIS CARD. IT IS UP FOR TRADE. IT'S A MANUFACTURING SAMPLE AND DOES JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING A LENTICULAR CARD CAN DO. I ALSO HAVE A NUBER OF RARE LENTICULAR CARDS UP FOR TRADE.

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
This 3D motion card appears to be a sample piece that a lenticular printing company would give a potential customer to show what it could produce as a promotional item or product. I was told it was made by National Graphics Inc. It measures 3 3/4 x 6 inches and has a blank back. It's undated but said to be from the 90's. When the card is turned to the right, the large eye closes, the initials "EV" change color and the space shuttle transforms into a great white shark with its mouth opening, all with a 3D effect.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Frank,

I had fun trading with you a couple of years ago. You have an interesting assortment of cards. Yeah, the Extreme Visions card is a really nice piece with a lot going on in it.

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In the early 2000's Arby's restaurants offered a number of history/science-related 4-card sets as part of a cross-promotion with the Discovery Channel. One card was inserted with a toy per kid's meal. Here's the Ancient Egypt 4-card set (DCI./S.I.I., 2002). Like the other sets, the fronts are puzzle pieces and the backs provide background info. Even with just four cards in the set, it was not easy building any of the sets because each promotion ran for a short time and most collectors didn't find out about them until after they were over.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This card is one of a 12-card set inserted one per package of Johnny Lightning "Coca-Cola Calendar Girl Series" (Playing Mantis, 2003) die-cast toy cars. The cards show early 20th century Coca-Cola calendar art and this one measures 2 x 3 1/2 inches. I've seen another card with the same kind of art that was about the same size but more square-shaped. It may or may not be in the same series.

This card and another one I have are unnumbered and blank-backed. Neither has the Johnny Lightning logo typical of most cards the company has released.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card from the 12-card set that was inserted one per package of Johnny Lightning's line of "007 40th Anniversary Miniature Movie Posters" (Playing Mantis, 2002) die-cast-toy cars. The cards measure 2 1/8 x 3 1/4 inches. They are also unnumbered and have blank backs. This one was inserted with the "Red Crescent Ambulance." Unlike most Johnny Lightning cards, the cards in this series don't show the company logo on the front. These cards can be hard to find as singles because die-cast car collectors keep the packages unopened and James Bond cars are particularly popular.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one from the 20-card Robotech set (LIVE Home Video, Inc., 1993) that was inserted one per specially-marked Robotech VHS videocassettes (English versions of the 80's animated TV show). Each video in this edition constitutes one 2-episode volume and the cards are numbered by volume number.
The card fronts are red bordered; card backs provide a trivia question and brief synopses of the two episodes. The challenge in building a set is that cards are randomly inserted so the card you get probably won't match the volume it comes with.

The videos containing cards have a red sticker on the shrink-wrap that says "Limited Edition Collector's Card Enclosed." Sometimes, you can find a cheap, sealed video with a card or a couple of cards in an oddball promo lot.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Dang! I knew I had at least one of those Johnny Lightning Bond poster cars. I looked all over the house before I found it hanging on the wall two feet from where I started.
I think I may have more stuffed in a box somewhere.
And you're right, Jess. I never opened the blister pack(s).

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd like to get more of the cards. There were some great movie posters for those movies. My brother has a book devoted just to James Bond movie posters from all over the world.

Many Johnny Lightnings are cheap. You can get them for a buck or two sometimes but the Marvel and James Bond ones are usually $5-10 or more and that's if you can find them.

Regarding "For Your Eyes Only," I remember there being a question whose legs were on the poster. They figured out they belonged to a model named, Joyce Bartle. I think they knew all along but it created more publicity as if a James Bond movie needed the help.

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I bought it for the dune buggy (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the front and back of card No. 1 from the 10-card "Australian Natural Wonders" set. It was inserted 3 per 1.2kg box of Weet Bix cereal but only at Coles supermarkets in Australia. Now that's what I call an exclusive. The cards are undated but it is said to be from 2002. The cards don't identify the manufacturer but are said to have been made by Sanitarium which made all the other trading card sets for Weet-Bix going back to the 1940's and up to 2012.

The card fronts show various landforms/natural landmarks in Australia. They also have the card number and title in tiny print on the lower left side with the Weet Bix logo on the lower right. Card backs have trivia questions and a word search game. You don't see too many geology-related cards given out as promos/premiums.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Whilst going through some of my promo card albums I have found some promo cards that do not have an issue date on them nor have I found them in the 2008 PCE guide I therefore thought I would post them here. What I find intriguing is that when I carried out a search on this website some of them were found listed in the trading section. I have also discovered that there are websites which offer terms for anyone to publish their own promo cards

goneblind

This is a card promoting a CD from the group "goneblind" as well as the record label. I believe the title is intended to be "Simple Society" and the label is called "Man Not God" (MNG). I have not been able to discover any information about this particular CD or the record label. The card does not have a date of issue but I presume is issued by MNG.

A couple of music websites do however have a entry for the group for a CD EP called goneblind and issued by the label Roadrunner Records which has five tracks and was released on 24th September 2002. The music style associated with the group is shown as Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal and Post-Grunge of the Genre Pop/Rock.

Images as below:-

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Dreamer The Good Dog Foundation

Photograph either side and biography on the back. This card promotes the The Good Dog Foundation as well as a Chow Chow dog called "Dreamer" becoming the first Chow Chow therapy dog certified by the foundation. The card is undated but does give the dogs birth date as being November 2003. I presume the issuer is The Good Dog Foundation.

Teddy Scares

The Teddy Scares card promotes the "Bearly Alive Membership Club" with the back of the card giving membership details but no apparent issuer is shown and nor is a publication date. The card has a photo of part of a teddy bear with crosses across its mouth. Research reveals that in recent years Teddy Scares have had a presence at card conventions like SDCC with some promo cards released. Other information discovered reveals that the teddyscares bears may have been issued around the 1998/99 period and could this card date from that era.

34o Cracked Pepper Crispbread

This card promotes 34o Cracked Pepper Crispbread with photographs either side and describes on the back various products that accompany it. No apparent issuer or date of issue is shown. An internet search revealed that the product was first marketed in 2003 and the name 34 degrees comes from the the latitude of Sydney, Australia where the owner first came across the style of crispbread. The card manufacturer is Custom-Trading Cards.com from where you can obtain your own promo cards at a reasonable price.

Images below:-

Oklahoma City Police Department
Photo of a K9 officer and his dog. The card promotes the Oklahoma City Police Department and the officer in the picture in particular. The card back gives some biographical detail as well as a name of a sponsor. The card manufacturer is Custom-Trading Cards.com but no date of issue is shown.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen those cards before. I think the crosses are actually just the stitching on the teddy bear.

There are uncounted series of police department cards all across the U.S. and some were done for multiple years along with emergency services and other city services card series. I don't think Todd is going to cover those. Documenting those would be a book/guide itself.

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's another Weet-Bix promotional set from Australia and this one is for the birds. The card below is #1 of a 20-card set, "Australia's Most Amazing Birds" (1992). The cards were inserted 1 per small-size Weet-Bix cereal box or 2 per larger box. They measure 2 1/8 x 2 7/8 inches and were printed on thin stock. The backs provide descriptive text with a company offer to trade cards with you to complete your set - offer says it would expire in May 1993 so the promotion most likely started early that year. It's a nice one for those of us who like nature/science cards.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
If this has been covered let me know and I'll delete the post, but, Spider-Sense Decoder cards and the box they came in from Spider-man 2:

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Much to my surprise, today I came across the Johnny Lightning card pictured below in a bunch of cards I had still to put in a binder, I did not realise I even had one of the Lightning cards catskilleagle has been telling about it till I looked at it more closely and saw the logo. Many thanks catskilleagle for telling us about them.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post