Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

I have that one too. I've been lucky in that I have been to flea markets where sellers were selling most Johnny Lightning packages for just a buck or two. I was trying to get a sample of all the series so it hasn't cost me much to get what I have. I paid maybe $6-8 for a couple of what appeared to be the harder ones to find. One seller had 2 or 3 of the "Fright'ning Lightning" series and that card was the one I chose - always liked the Munsters and the theme song.

I'll have to get around to posting all the Johnny Lightning cards I have (have posted some others already).

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is a lesser-seen promo sticker (Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc., 1989) for the movie, "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen," directed by Terry Gilliam. It shows movie poster artwork and measures 2 x 3 inches. I hadn't seen much memorabilia for the movie so I had to get this piece.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I believe these X-Men cards may well have been identified and listed in PCE as I think they were issued prior to 2008 but I cannot find them. The four cards each appear to feature an image resembling a Marvel Comic cover. They were labelled by the seller as "The Pocket Comic Toy Set Series 1" and the four cards are as follows:-

X-Men Adventures - War Room
(Marvel Comics presents before Wolverine there was) Weapon X - Weapon X Lab
X-Men - Cerebro Room
X-Men - Master Mold

No year or issuer shown and the back features some form of descriptive text. The two X-Men covers show a price of 12 cents and the other two a price of $1.25. I don't know much about Marvel Comics to determine accuracy of the images which are shown below:-

Weapon X Lab front
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Weapon X Back

X-Men Adventures War Room Front

X-Men Adventures War Room Back

X-Men Cerebro Room front

X-Men Cerebro Room Back

X-Men Master Mold Front

X-Men Master Mold Back

Any help with the identity of these cards would very much appreciated.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Those were inserted with X-Men Toy Biz playsets - Series II. I knew I had seen something like those somewhere. Check out the Series 1 card and the checklist for Series II under X-Men Pocket Comics:

http://abs-cards.net/checklists/index.html

Jess

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jess

Many thanks, what is interesting is that the website says that these cards measure roughly 4 1/8" x 3" whereas my 4 are the standard size 3 1/2" x 2 1/2".

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I might chalk it up to some late night posting - vision blurs, manual dexterity slips, mind wanders...off to...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are two cards from the "Laugh in October" (Buena Vista Pictures, no year but it was 1996) set. It appears to be a 6-card set which promotes the VHS releases of 3 movies: "Beautiful Girls," "Celtic Pride," and "Don't Be a Menace (to South Central while Drinking your Juice in the Hood)." The cards were sent to video dealers in 3-card plastic-wrap packs that included a stick of gum. The cards measure 2 1/2 x 5 inches which is longer than "widevision" size so they fit on the short side of a widevision-size sleeve but they are a little too long for them.

Because the cards were sent to video dealers, not a lot of card collectors saw them at the time. The movies weren't big box office so most of the people that got the cards didn't keep them. I got these from a card dealer who had worked in a video store and kept all the cards he found doing that.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are the two promo cards (P1, P2) for the Sherlock Holmes Premiere Collection (CMA/RiverWye Productions, 2001). These cards are not always easy to find and that might be why they didn't make it into PCE.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
This card was a promo for the Laurel & Hardy Collector Cards set (CMA/RiverWye Productions, 1997). There were 3 standard-size promo cards plus this pop-up which measures 2 1/2 x 3 5/16 inches. I heard it was a giveaway at a show in the UK.

I have the card too. Mine is inside a black envelope that has a sticker on it the states Laurel & Hardy retailer Bonus Pack. Inside as well as the pop-up there is card S2 which is a gold foil Oliver Hardy facsimile autograph card, a larger card (size 5 5/16" x 3 15/16") marked mp3 along with details on the film Bonnie Scotland on the back and the other side is a poster for the same film that has Laurel and Hardy wearing kilts and playing bagpipes. The following text is also shown "Bons pour le service" and "Geschikt voor de Dienst" on the front. Lastly there is a paper voucher for buying 6 packs of various additional items such as albums, lenticular cards, 3 different foil signature cards and mini posters.

regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are also 2 for a cancelled Series 2 card set that are harder to find. I haven't looked at mine in awhile but I think at least one is a photo of Jeremy Brett.
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Here are the two promo cards (P1, P2) for the Sherlock Holmes Premiere Collection (CMA/RiverWye Productions, 2001). These cards are not always easy to find and that might be why they didn't make it into PCE.

[/QUOTE]

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a promo card for Kicks (Kicks Trading Card Co., 1991) featuring actor/martial arts expert, Chuck Norris. The card promotes an anti-drugs campaign and teamwork in general.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Like many here, I didn't get into pogs but have a few because they were in some of the older promo packs. This one is promo pog #40 from the "Chipy 3D Taps" set (Hanna-Barbera Productions, 1996) featuring scenes from various Hanna-Barbera cartoons. The set number is unknown but I've seen one numbered 60. They were inserted one per package of Chipy snacks in Peru and measure 1 9/16 in diameter with a 3D front. This one shows a scene from "The Jetsons' with George and Elroy Jetson and Astro "Don't Call Him Tralfaz" Jetson flying around in George's car.

I won't post about too many more pogs but wanted to get this one in for the Hanna-Barbera collectors not aware of it.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the first card in the President's Club Collectors Series (Ottenheimer Publishers Inc., 1991-?) It was given out as part of a Publisher's Clearing House promotion. A 2-card cello-pack containing this George Washington card and a William J. Clinton card was sent to members of a "President's Club" with more cards sent out periodically after that. The card fronts show artwork (portraits) of U.S. presidents with biographical information in listing form on the backs. They are unnumbered but subtitled on the back with president's ordinal number. Card backs also say "Compliments of Publisher's Clearing House" at the bottom. I don't know how long the promotion ran (still running?).

These are the cards I've seen:

n.n. "George Washington"; subtitled "First President"; dated 1991
n.n. "Andrew Jackson"; subtitled "Seventh President"; dated 1991
n.n. "Franklin D. Roosevelt"; subtitled "Thirty-Second President; dated 1991
n.n. "William J. Clinton"; subtitled "Forty-Second President"; dated 1993

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is a card that I come across recently in my collection that I don't know much about. It is issued by The Dark Side (sub-title the Magazine for the Macabre and Fantastic) which is a UK magazine published by Ghoulish Publishing Ltd. I don't know when it was issued but it does state not for sale on one side. It is on thin card and is double sided as being untitled and unnumbered. The magazine itself was first issued in October 1990 and is still around today although with the Covid situation I think publication may have been halted.

Front

Back

regards

John

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Good Evening

I have a set of 5 Farscape cards that were printed in the UK by the London Postcard Company and are undated. The cards are numbered 1 of 5, 2 of 5 etc and show on the front images from Farscape. One card is a group shot featuring 6 cast members and the other four cards show cast characters Crichton, Chiana, Zhaan and Aeryn all in colour. These cards are standard size and the backs of cards 1-4 show the name and address details of an Art Gallery based in Stamford Lincolnshire (with a printed autograph by the owner) and card number 5 shows the name and address details for a greetings card and poster shop based in Frome, Somerset (no autograph) [I looked up the two using their website addresses shown on the cards]. In addition the backs contain a faint image of one of the other cards in a greyish tone. They therefore have every likely hood of being classed as business cards but why five cards and two different businesses. Note that the London Postcard Company did issue a postcard set of 9 cards for Farscape which included these 5 images.

I have attached images of 4 cards (2 fronts and 2 backs).

Front No 2

Back No 1

Front No 3

Back No 5

regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is a card from the Ad Rods 6 card set. The cards were inserted one per package of Johnny Lightning Ad Rods die-cast-toy cars. The card fronts show photos of magazine ads for American cars. The backs are blank. This one is from a Chevy Silverado ad. The cards are not dated but the toy packaging has a 2001 date.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is one of the six cards inserted one per package of the second series of Johnny Lightning Ad Rods die-cast-toy cars though the cards aren't marked with the set name. Like the first series cards, the fronts show photos of magazine ads for American cars and the backs are blank. The cards are also unnumbered and undated. The car packaging has a 2002 date (one year later than the first series).

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:

I have a set of 5 Farscape cards

Back No 5

regards

John

Wow, Acheron cards, that's a name from the past, must be 20 years since i dealt with them.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A couple of Star Wars orientated cards, one from a fan of both Star Wars Troopers and Elvis who has combined his love of both. He also has a card in the Star Wars Fan Days series and is probably well known to convention attendees. The other is a fan in another sense in that he has built his own R2D2 which has been used in UK TV advertising and has attended many events.

R2D2 Front

R2D2 Back

Elvis Trooper Front

Elvis Trooper Back

regards

John

Updated to include information that the Lee Towersey R2D2 card was inserted in "The Card Scene" magazine issue no. 5 dated March/April 2015
regards

John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JOHN LEVITT,

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Regarding the Farscape set
A description of these cards in a for sale lot says
Self produced Farscape promo card set made by Neil Barnes ( Acheron Cards ) 2001
Printed by the London Postcard Co
(c) TM
The Jim Henson Company
It seems funny that Neil Barnes had the cards made and most of the advertising on them is for
A Paul Mills gallery

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post