Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I doubt she has her own bowling shoes so you're going to have to hope she's a woman who doesn't mind wearing used shoes even for a little while. You're messing with fire as it is and her husband won't like any of it.

quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I like that BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN sticker.
I've always wanted to take her out bowling.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card that was highlighted in the current NSU issue (Vol 32, No. 2 aka April/May 2021) and mentioned on Card Talk years ago:

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....127064376#4127064376

It's the sole survivor from a "Get Smart" set that Rittenhouse Archives was working on in the early 2000's. After Don Adams refused to sign for it, the company decided to cancel it. Some cards had been printed for Adams and Barbara Feldon, and guest star, Bernie Kopell, but of the three, only Kopell had signed some cards by then. The Adams and Feldon cards were said to have been destroyed, but instead of destroying Kopell's cards too, RA sent them to dealers for them to give to customers who were fans of the show. Yes, it's one of those oddities of the trading card world...an actual promo autograph card.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one from the Tiny Toons 8-card set (Warner Bros., 1990). Cards were inserted one per package of Fruity Marshmallow Krispies cereal in Canada. Each one is an unnumbered, dual-image lenticular measuring 2 1/4 x 2 1/2 inches. The text on the back is in French and English. This one shows Buster Bunny skiing and playing electric guitar.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a dual-image lenticular card numbered 01 (though both images are also separately numbered) from a Pokemon Action Flipz set (Artbox, 1999). It appears to have the same images on the front but it has a differently-colored back than the 01 base card in the Premier Edition and is nothing like the 01 base card in Series 1. The back text promotes Series 1 with "LOOK FOR SERIES 1...COMING TO A STORE NEAR YOU" but it isn't listed as a promo in any guide. All the cards from both sets are apparently 2 x 2 inches.

The Premier cards are dual-image lenticulars while the Series 1 cards contain some dual-image and some triple-image cards (all 2 x 2 inches). It may be an odd insert from the Premier Edition packs, but again, it's not listed anywhere - not NSU, PCE, nor Allender. I found it years ago in a bargain box at a flea market, I think.

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
It'll be in the next one fer shur. I wonder if the backs of these are the same as that one you pictured.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the PR1 promo card (2008) for the "The Man Who Fell to Earth" set that Strictly Ink planned but cancelled. Unstoppable would pick up the license years later and release a preview set in 2013 and then a full set two years later.

PCE2008 was published in 2008 so it didn't really have a chance to cover many, if any, cards that year. Offhand, I can't think of any 2008 cards listed in it and yet I tend to think of cards from then as eligible for this list. That's just me.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are two Sugar Bear dual-mage lenticular holograms (General Food Corporation, 1990) of a possible set of three. I haven't heard if it was a Sugar Crisp cereal insert but it seems likely. Each one, measuring 1 13/16 x 2 15/16 inches, is unnumbered, blank-backed and may in fact be a sticker. They say "Made in UK" on the front at the bottom though I'm not sure Sugar Crisp cereal was available in the UK.

I see these for sale occasionally with someone offering a group of three different ones in recent weeks. The cello-packs are surprisingly clean and clear as if never inserted in the cereal because most sealed singles show some level of staining and age.

I'm reasonably confident that it's a 3-card set, because over the years, I've seen just three different ones:

n.n. (wearing sunglasses and waving)
n.n. (juggling)
n.n. (sitting and holding a stick)

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the 5-card promo set for "The Natural" (Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Inc., 2007) which was available only with "The Natural Gift Set" along with a director's cut DVD of the movie, a Knights baseball cap (as seen in the movie), a baseball, and a cardboard stand for the baseball. Here's the checklist"

n.n. "Roy Hobbs" (Robert Redford)
n.n. "Pop Fisher" (Wilfred Brimley)
n.n. "1939 New York Knights"
n.n. (image made to look like an old "Life" magazine cover)
n.n. "Max Mercy Classics"

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Holy cow, I forgot there were cards in that set!
I bought that set and never opened it, which I do with most things! Which means I can never fully enjoy them! Oh...woe is me!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is card V002 promoting "Voltron: The Third Dimension" (Trimark Home Video, 2000). I got it as part of a lot and the seller didn't know the source but it appears to have been an insert with the "Voltron: The Third Dimension" V001 VHS tape. There is a V002 "Voltron: The Third Dimension" VHS tape which had the V002 card as an insert. The V002 card measures 2 1/2 x 4 inches and the back provides a synopsis of the two episodes on the V002 tape.

Edit: corrected info since original posting

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
@cardaddict -- Jumper was an okay movie, but not good enough to deserve having two copies of the DVD. Just saying . . . .

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This 3 5/8 x 6-inch card promotes "Bettie Page: Queen of Hearts," a pin-up art history book written by artist Jim Silke and published by Dark Horse Comics in 1995. Silke gave out the card at his table at shows.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Love the Bettie Page promo. She sort of brings out the animal in me, but unfortunately it's just a kitten.

I used to buy every version of a DVD when it came out (and I had money). One of those JUMPER DVDs is a 'special edition' with a sort of lenticular cover. The other is the 'regular edition', which I never even opened.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used to buy every version of a DVD when it came out (and I had money). One of those JUMPER DVDs is a 'special edition' with a sort of lenticular cover. The other is the 'regular edition', which I never even opened.

Gotcha. I actually liked the Steve Gould novels that inspired the movie, but the movie itself just didn't do it for me (and I was kidding upthread -- goodness knows I've got duplicates of stuff I can't really even justify having one of . . . ).

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the promo card for the 20-card "Caricatures of the British Army" Set #2 (Victoria Gallery, 1994). It's not dated but it was released not long before the set. It's slightly smaller than standard size at 2 7/16 x 3 1/8 inches.

The front is clearly marked as a promotional card with a diagonal red banner but the back is the same as the base card version.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jess

Here in the UK the card size for the Caricatures of the British Army card is usually referred as 79mm x 62mm. At the original time of issue these card sets were intended to be framed. A lot of card dealers in those days also sold the framing kits. From the early 1990's reprints of earlier issued cards, mainly cigarette cards, was popular with framing sets for cards of all sizes being made available. Reprinted sets were not popular with some of the die hard cigarette card collectors as they felt it would devalue their hard to get cards. Personally I welcomed the idea as it meant I could see and have images of cards I knew I would never be able to have otherwise. I never did acquire a framed set or kit preferring to keep my cards in albums. I must have over 300 different sets but I digress.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Digression is the better part of valor.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the extra information, John. I should have noted the metric equivalent and that the size is standard for the category, that being "British trade cards" unless there is a better term or one used more widely now. Yes, I have seen sets framed and have noticed some collectors aren't that interested in the promotional card because it wouldn't fit well as part of a framed set or just because it's a duplicate image from the set.

I agree about welcoming the idea of reprint versions of sets that would be out of reach otherwise. I would keep the cards in albums or otherwise stored together rather than frame them as well, which if nothing else, would be more costly.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Jess

Here in the UK the card size for the Caricatures of the British Army card is usually referred as 79mm x 62mm. At the original time of issue these card sets were intended to be framed. A lot of card dealers in those days also sold the framing kits. From the early 1990's reprints of earlier issued cards, mainly cigarette cards, was popular with framing sets for cards of all sizes being made available. Reprinted sets were not popular with some of the die hard cigarette card collectors as they felt it would devalue their hard to get cards. Personally I welcomed the idea as it meant I could see and have images of cards I knew I would never be able to have otherwise. I never did acquire a framed set or kit preferring to keep my cards in albums. I must have over 300 different sets but I digress.

regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Steve, what would this forum be without digression? The various asides, sidebars, and parting comments have had value too. Conversations drift and get back on topic. We can be more structured here and take time to finely hone a post, but late at night or during a lunch break, sometimes we take an off-ramp and we don't merge smoothly back into traffic.

quote:
Digression is the better part of valor.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's another Victoria Gallery promo. It promotes the "A Gathering of Spirits" set with art by Rob Larson. It's one of the lesser-seen promotional cards from that company but it generally sells in the $3-5 range.