Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't have any of those. I do have one from Bimbo Bread in Mexico. It's numbered 02 and promotes the 2003 movie, "Hulk." I don't know the set number. It's a lenticular motion card (not much motion - more like a dual-image lenticular) and didn't scan well but it shows The Hulk busting through a brick wall. It measures 1 1/2 x 2 1/4 inches and bears The Hulk, Bimbo, Marvel, and Universal logos on the back.

Posts: 4374 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is a Spider-Man motion card from 2004 made by Neo Products. It's a standard size card with a decent amount of motion. The back promotes the company website inviting people to "Visit...for exciting new products coming soon." Neo used to make large lenticular posters.

Posts: 4374 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card representing a lesser-seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles set. It's the #3 sticker of a set of 8 inserted one per package of Uncle Tobys snacks in Australia in 1990. It measures 2 1/16 x 3 5/16 inches. The back text provides match-and-win instructions and the lower part can be filled out and mailed away for a chance to win a separate prize.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
More Spider-Man stuff.
Cool Kids Combo, I think from some kind of lunch pack, and the Hardees french fries paper with which you got cool Spider-Man stuff!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
A hodgepodge of oddball Spider-Man "cards". I sort of went nuts when these movies came out.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As an additional note, those Hulk cards from Ritz Bits are listed in PCE2008. This thread is intended for photos of promos from the 80's to 2008 that were not listed in PCE2008. You won't get a ticket, though. I've wondered about starting an oddball Marvel cards thread since there seems to be increased interest in them.

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's an unreleased test card created by Topps in 1993 during the development of the Ren & Stimpy set that was released the following year. There are said to be at least 4 different cards with a white, glow-in-the-dark background front and at least one pink one. The back identifies the printer as Mid-City Lithographers. Topps didn't end up using this design.

These cards appeared on the market a few years later along with a few other Topps test cards from around 1993 (Plasm, Batman Animated). I've seen sellers trying to get $30-75 a piece in recent years but I think these are more like $15-25 cards.

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Sorry about overstepping the bounds.
I'll be good.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's not a big deal. Threads go off-road for a few posts all the time.

quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
Sorry about overstepping the bounds.
I'll be good.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This 3D motion card appears to be a sample piece that a lenticular printing company would give a potential customer to show what it could produce as a promotional item or product. I was told it was made by National Graphics Inc. It measures 3 3/4 x 6 inches and has a blank back. It's undated but said to be from the 90's. When the card is turned to the right, the large eye closes, the initials "EV" change color and the space shuttle transforms into a great white shark with its mouth opening, all with a 3D effect.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is a scan of the back of card #2 and the front of card #1 from the 10-card Magic Eye set (1995, N.E. Thing Enterprises) inserted one per package of Gardenia Cheese products. Each card front shows a patterned image. Each back provides instructions on how to see a hidden image within the pattern. The cards promote a book of other Magic Eye images offering it at a discount price.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For Winnie the Pooh fans, here's a dual-image lenticular card (1999, McDonald's Corporation) that may have been a Happy Meal insert in Canada. It has the McDonald's logo in the lower left corner with French and English text and has a blank back.

In French they call "Winnie the Pooh" just "Winnie the Bear Cub."

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a lesser-seen promo from the Youngblood (1995, Skybox) set. It's the ES5 "Kodiak" card with the "K" in "Kodiak" in gold ink. It is part of an 9-card promo set with this one inserted with "Extreme Sacrifice New Men" Part 5 of 8). It has full color artwork on both sides with the artwork on the back being a puzzle piece of a larger image when all 9 "ES" cards are arranged in order. I don't know if the other "ES" cards can be found in other copies of the same issue or if they are found in other issues.

I received it as part of a small lot of promos and it didn't look like anything I had before. It has no text on the front nor back other than the name and number but I thought it was a Youngblood card because it shows "Liefeld" as a signature in the artwork on the front. A check of Allender's "Youngblood (1995)" listing confirmed the ID.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This card promotes action figures of characters from a Japanese anime TV show, "Zettai-shonen Project" made by the company, Toy'sworks. It was sent to some comic book stores around 1999. The card front shows characters from the show with a mirrorboard background. The back says "Promotion Card: 01" near the top and also credits company artists.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This sticker was part of a Columbia House promotion in 1996 celebrating the 30th anniversary of Star Trek. It measures 2 5/8 x 3 1/8 inches and has a blank back.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Jess,
I for one, am really enjoying your picture postings and hopefully it will motivate some of the people who are on the fence about collecting promo cards to jump in! I know there are A LOT of people who have started to really enjoy this genre of trading cards although many are still in the closet about it and don't like to admit that they're intrigued by them. As a part time seller of these collectibles, I can state with certainty that promo card collecting has seen a substantial bump in interest, beginning with Marvel and trickling down to more obscure franchises in the last couple of years.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
"Extreme Sacrifice New Men"

Each card was in a different comic title. They all have the first letter of the name on front in gold ink.

□ ES1 "Chapel" in Extreme Sacrifice #1
□ ES2 "Cross" in Extreme Sacrifice #2
□ ES3 "Glory" in Brigade #16
□ ES4 "Kirby" in Bloodstrike #18
□ ES5 "Kodiak" in Newmen #10
□ ES6 "Pilot" in Team Youngblood #17
□ ES7 "Brigade" in Youngblood Strikefile #11
□ ES8 "Reign" in Prophet #10
□ ES9 "Prophet" inSupreme #23

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pcetodd,

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Promoking. I was doing it occasionally because I'd run across an unlisted card while going through my collection and it seemed like something that could spur some discussion. I've traded emails with a couple of fellow Card Talk members and one thing many of us have in common is a fondness for oddballs - cards that are little-known or rare or promote obscure comics or things other than other cards or are unusual in their own right whether they're lenticulars or otherwise made out of different material. With Todd looking for visual evidence, "proof-of-life," for various cards he's heard about, I've been sending him scans and have started posting many of those here too along with cards mentioned here and there on the board.

I try to show a variety of cards, a variety of subjects. Some of them were rare in their day or are hard to find now; some I stumbled onto while looking for something else. There are also the oddballs that come along in an Ebay lot or a friend throws in as part of a trade because we both like oddballs.

Why would someone be in the closet about promo cards? People have been collecting advertising like signs, posters, salesman samples, and original pre-production art for decades. Promo cards are the advertising for card sets, comic books, toys, figures/models, and all kinds of other stuff going back to at least the 80's. It's normal...someone please tell me it's normal.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Jess,
I for one, am really enjoying your picture postings and hopefully it will motivate some of the people who are on the fence about collecting promo cards to jump in! I know there are A LOT of people who have started to really enjoy this genre of trading cards although many are still in the closet about it and don't like to admit that they're intrigued by them. As a part time seller of these collectibles, I can state with certainty that promo card collecting has seen a substantial bump in interest, beginning with Marvel and trickling down to more obscure franchises in the last couple of years.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This one is an oddball among oddballs. It promotes the soundtrack for the movie, "Juno" (2007, Rhino Entertainment Company) There aren't a ton of cards that promote movie soundtracks. It measures 2 1/8 x 3 3/8 inches which is an odd size for a card. It's also made of plastic which is a little weird but it's made of plastic because it has the extra gimmick of four, functional guitar picks that can be popped out of it.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I checked my movie records and see that I saw JUNO in a theater on January 12, 2008