Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 28
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UNLISTED PROMOS PICTURE GUIDE
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the Action Girl, I believe that it was one of the 5 different chase cards that came 1 per box of the Milk and Cheese factory set

Does it have foil on it ? The other 4 were

Hectic Planet
The Murder Family
Myron the Living Voodoo Doll
The Eltingville Comic Book, etc. Club

Posts: 4713 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is a Dark Horse signing card not listed in PCE2008. It's Space Circus by Sergio Aragones. He signed them at the Dark Horse booth and added a sketch on the back.

Posts: 4356 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
By the late 90's anyone who was collecting promo cards was starting to get a handle on what was easy to get either directly or through trades and what was hard to find once you did know about it. Some of what you could get then is impossible to find now. Sometimes, one particular dealer was the main source and he sold out later or sometimes you couldn't find that dealer later. Conversely, some cards that were almost impossible to get then are now available on Ebay at a reasonable price.

One example of something I could find then but can't find now and not even listed in PCE2008 is a different version of the cards listed in PCE2008 under "Magic of Lithofoil." The two cards provisionally called "Flame Hands" and "Three Characters" were foil-enhanced by a company called Mid-City Lithographers as noted on the back. I wouldn't call them common but you could find them and they've gone up in value ($2 each in 2008; $5-10 today).

In the late 90's I bought a pair of cards that have the same fronts but different backs. They were in a mail-out listing with no photos so I bought them without knowing what I was getting other than that the description was unfamiliar. On these cards the backs promote a show in Denver, Colorado in 1992. They also name the characters on the fronts. "Flame Hands" is actually "Slowburn" (art by Matt Allison) and the "three characters" are "Lucas, Kristyn, and Yanus" (art by Eric Nelson) The backs say that they are "original characters" by the artists so they might not be associated with any comic book series or other entertainment franchise. Maybe someone else knows these characters.

I believe the cards with the "Magic of Lithofoil" backs are the prototypes for the show promo versions. I've seen a number of the Magic of Lithofoil cards for sale but have seen only the two show promo versions I bought.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4356 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful find. I have to add those to my want list.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have the Magic of Lithofoil versions, but I am pretty sure that I don't have the versions with the Colorado con backs.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card from the "Mr. Bean" set produced by Dart Flipcards in 1998. I haven't seen it listed in any of the guides. It is unnumbered with the word "video" printed on the back where the number would be. It has French and English text on the back, also saying, "This card has been produced exclusively for PolyGram video."

It might have been a card inserted with a videocassette (VHS) version of the movie or TV series or it might've been a store giveaway where the VHS was sold. Dart Flipcards inserted an exclusive unnumbered card with a "Battlestar Galactica" videocassette but it did not say "video" on the back.

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The XFL, an American football league, is back in 2020 after lasting only a season in 2001. There were cards by Artbox for the league back then and at least one other card which I found in a binder last week. It was given out by the Birmingham Thunderbolts Cheerleaders at signing events. It's 8 1/2 x 11 inches and printed on card stock (not photo paper). It features a color photo of the squad on the front with a black-and-white back providing the names of all the cheerleaders and contact information/logos of team sponsors. I think I bought it at a collectibles show.

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Many promo collectors remember the oversized Babylon 5 promos from the late 90's by the TNT television network. TNT also printed a 4-card set to promote the world premiere of its original movie, "Animal Farm," based on the George Orwell novel. These cards are 6 x 9 and were given out in connection with a prize drawing at Crown Books stores. Each one features one character.

Jess

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Here's a card from the "Mr. Bean" set produced by Dart Flipcards in 1998. . . . It has French and English text on the back, also saying, "This card has been produced exclusively for PolyGram video."

With English and French text, I would strongly suspect it was a Canadian card. Did the company (Dart) have a connection to Canada?

Posts: 2192 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Dart was based in Montreal though at least two of its various mailaway offers had addresses in the U.S.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Here's a card from the "Mr. Bean" set produced by Dart Flipcards in 1998. . . . It has French and English text on the back, also saying, "This card has been produced exclusively for PolyGram video."

With English and French text, I would strongly suspect it was a Canadian card. Did the company (Dart) have a connection to Canada?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is a rarely seen promo variant from the Muscle Cards set (PYQCC, 1991). It is a 6 of 8 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C "King of the Hill chase card but with "Card Expo '92" in silver foil on the front.

The set is already known to have another show promo version, cards with the gray stamp, "'91 5 State Expo." It appears each card in the set can be found with that stamp but I've seen just the 6 of 8 card with the "Card Expo '92" stamp.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are three rare prototype cards for the Kentucky Derby Trading Cards Collector Series (no year) by Horse Star Cards. They are very similar to the regular base cards (12, 67, 99) in the set except they have a "Kentucky Derby Festival" logo on the front upper right corner (while the base cards do not) with slightly different back text as well. The photo on the #99 prototype is also different.

While the prototypes and base cards are undated, they are said to have been released in 1989 or 1990 or 1991. The date is unclear because they were released in different ways (sold by the pack, rack pack, and a limited edition binder set).

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a rarely seen promo variant from the Muscle Cards set (PYQCC, 1991). It is a 6 of 8 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C "King of the Hill chase card but with "Card Expo '92" in silver foil on the front.

The set is already known to have another show promo version, cards with the gray stamp, "'91 5 State Expo." It appears each card in the set can be found with that stamp but I've seen just the 6 of 8 card with the "Card Expo '92" stamp.

In addition to the 6 of 8 Shelby Cobra card, I also have this #7 of 8, 1969 ZL1 Camaro SS/RS.
I don't remember where I got them but I'd like to see the others...

Camaro by Greg Geerts, on Flickr

Posts: 1357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's possible that it was just that 8-card subset with the silver foil stamping but it might be that the whole set can be found with it. There are likely more collectors who have these cards but haven't noticed the stamping.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Geerts:
quote:

In addition to the 6 of 8 Shelby Cobra card, I also have this #7 of 8, 1969 ZL1 Camaro SS/RS.
I don't remember where I got them but I'd like to see the others...

Camaro by Greg Geerts, on Flickr

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card from a 6-card set (2003, Urban Entertainment) that promotes the Japanese TV show, "Ninja Scroll," which was the sequel to the 1993 movie of the same name. I don't know how the set was distributed.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a 3-image panel that promotes a group of Disney Attraction posters that are reproductions of the original posters that were displayed at Disneyland. The posters were sold at the Disney Gallery, a souvenir shop in Disneyland.

This card measures 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches. I scanned it in its protective plastic sleeve. It's the sleeve that's showing some wrinkling - not the card. I bought this at least 15 years ago from a dealer who specialized in Disneyana including a number of promotional items. I liked it because of the image with the submarine. That would be a nice poster to have.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I've never seen that panel. It's awesome! Is it printed on regular trading card stock?

Posts: 1018 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

It's kind of a thin stock but not flimsy.

Also, it's undated but I got it in 1998 when it was rather new. I assume there were a number of other cards and panels given out in those days. I have an oversized promo for another one of the posters. I should scan that too (found that one maybe five years ago).

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
I've never seen that panel. It's awesome! Is it printed on regular trading card stock?

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I got the Ed Webb SCI Fi promo #15 that I traded for today
Wrapped now have all issued but need
# 5 Metal 39 Metal 46 Metal 49 Metal 50 Metal 51 Metal 53 Metal If these exist should put this up on the wanted list but any one got them for trade PLMK

Posts: 752 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Piko,

That's one of the hard-to-find ones. That's great.

I'm not going to worry about the rare ones or the metal ones for now. I still have several of the regular ones to pick up.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
I got the Ed Webb SCI Fi promo #15 that I traded for today
Wrapped now have all issued but need
# 5 Metal 39 Metal 46 Metal 49 Metal 50 Metal 51 Metal 53 Metal If these exist should put this up on the wanted list but any one got them for trade PLMK